Remote Start

evoss

Are there any remote start systems that have the capability of using the stock key fob???  That would be nice.

with a knowledgable installer, and the right remote starter, YES it can be done. the only drawback is the range of the factory remote sucks in comparison to the aftermarket stuff.

Remote start with all the goodies is nice to have, but it can also mess up the communication between all modules on your truck. When I was a GM Tech I had numorus vehicles towed in because the remote start and alarm systems screwed up the ecm and bcm's( not covered under warranty). Some were professionaly installed others were do it yourselfers.  I would like to have in my SS but I dont feel like running into any headaches. Customers that came in with these problems weren't very happy having to pay big bucks to get it fix right.

please do tell me more. I would like to know. this is what I do for a living and i would like to hear the dealer side of this as I ALWAYS am the first one blames when a customer takes a care in for work. Thanks

Hey I'm not trying to knock remote start systems in any way, I used to install alarms w/remote starters also. I'm just saying if you are going install one on a new vehicle make sure it is done right. GM has enough problems with their factory security system if somebody does not know what they are doing they can create more problems. All of the modules on a GM vehicle communicate with each other and know what each module is doing. If you install aftermarket components they can send mixed signals to the modules setting DTC's causing problems. A GM vehicle can have up to 20 control modules (engine, body, a/c, radio, instrument cluster and so on). In one of the post someone mentioned having the alarm operate the windows, on 03 and up GM trucks 02 trailblazers the window switch is now a module and must be progam to the specific vehicle to work. I had an 02 Trailblazer come in to my stall when i worked at the dealer which had remote start, w/door locks and window operation, it had and aftermarket radio w/tv's and all the works. It came in on the hook. I plugged in the scanner, it had over thirty DTC's set in various modules. So many codes set the modules would shut down and not allow normal operation. The customer was pissed :mad: It was installed at a reputable radio shop. Now I like aftermarket accesories, I hate leaving anything stock, it sucks that the manufatures are making it more difficult to install them.

Remote start with all the goodies is nice to have, but it can also mess up the communication between all modules on your truck. When I was a GM Tech I had numorus vehicles towed in because the remote start and alarm systems screwed up the ecm and bcm's( not covered under warranty). Some were professionaly installed others were do it yourselfers.  I would like to have in my SS but I dont feel like running into any headaches. Customers that came in with these problems weren't very happy having to pay big bucks to get it fix right.

please do tell me more. I would like to know. this is what I do for a living and i would like to hear the dealer side of this as I ALWAYS am the first one blames when a customer takes a care in for work. Thanks

Hey I'm not trying to knock remote start systems in any way, I used to install alarms w/remote starters also. I'm just saying if you are going install one on a new vehicle make sure it is done right. GM has enough problems with their factory security system if somebody does not know what they are doing they can create more problems. All of the modules on a GM vehicle communicate with each other and know what each module is doing. If you install aftermarket components they can send mixed signals to the modules setting DTC's causing problems. A GM vehicle can have up to 20 control modules (engine, body, a/c, radio, instrument cluster and so on). In one of the post someone mentioned having the alarm operate the windows, on 03 and up GM trucks 02 trailblazers the window switch is now a module and must be progam to the specific vehicle to work. I had an 02 Trailblazer come in to my stall when i worked at the dealer which had remote start, w/door locks and window operation, it had and aftermarket radio w/tv's and all the works. It came in on the hook. I plugged in the scanner, it had over thirty DTC's set in various modules. So many codes set the modules would shut down and not allow normal operation. The customer was pissed :mad: It was installed at a reputable radio shop. Now I like aftermarket accesories, I hate leaving anything stock, it sucks that the manufatures are making it more difficult to install them.

I am not saying that you are knocking my job or what I do. I just wanted to know what kind of things that you as a tech has ran into. as for the examples that you have stated, The one thing that you have to understand is when new cars come out, us as the aftermarket has a hard time keeping up so there are times when we have to compromise and some shops do this by hacking. I know that alot of the Gm cars talk back and forth, but what has to be realized is that we as installers only rely on what we are told by our manufacturers and that they will work properly with certain cars. If it doesnt work we have to take the odd stand that we do back our product but yet it doesnt work as we were told and hence we told you, the customer. (understand?)

anyway, Please as a customer to everyone out there, when you are looking for an install shop, check there credentials and what they have done. to toot my own horn here I have been doing this for about 13 years, I am certified Master Installer through MECP, this is the highest certification that one can get in this industry and there are less than 100 people in the country that have it! If I dont have an answer for you I will not lie and hack my way into your car, I will find an answer and get back to you or send you to someone who can help you better than I can. also check some of their custom work and ask to see and talk to some of the shops prior customers, after all it is your ride and your cash you are spending!

On a side note, if anyone needs anything on this list, let me know and I will see what I can do for you and if you have tech questions I can help there too. -C-

I am not saying that you are knocking my job or what I do. I just wanted to know what kind of things that you as a tech has ran into. as for the examples that you have stated, The one thing that you have to understand is when new cars come out, us as the aftermarket has a hard time keeping up so there are times when we have to compromise and some shops do this by hacking. I know that alot of the Gm cars talk back and forth, but what has to be realized is that we as installers only rely on what we are told by our manufacturers and that they will work properly with certain cars. If it doesnt work we have to take the odd stand that we do back our product but yet it doesnt work as we were told and hence we told you, the customer. (understand?)

anyway, Please as a customer to everyone out there, when you are looking for an install shop, check there credentials and what they have done. to toot my own horn here I have been doing this for about 13 years, I am certified Master Installer through MECP, this is the highest certification that one can get in this industry and there are less than 100 people in the country that have it! If I dont have an answer for you I will not lie and hack my way into your car, I will find an answer and get back to you or send you to someone who can help you better than I can. also check some of their custom work and ask to see and talk to some of the shops prior customers, after all it is your ride and your cash you are spending!

On a side note, if anyone needs anything on this list, let me know and I will see what I can do for you and if you have tech questions I can help there too. -C-

I agree with you a 100%. I've seen both sides and I am a GM factory trained and certified tech and an ASE master tech. I worked for for Chevy for 8yrs and now have my own shop, you know as well as I do there is alot of poeple who don't take pride in there work. I see it all the time and I'm sure you do to, someone will come in telling me they went down the street and had work done thinking they saved money but their car is acting up again, then they are shocked when I what is wrong with their car and all the other shop did is put a band aid on it and took their money. There is alot people who think they know how to install systems and such but have no clue about electronics. Iagree on checking out the shop before you buy. If you or anyone have a GM techincal question feel free to ask.

I agree with you a 100%. I've seen both sides and I am a GM factory trained and certified tech and an ASE master tech. I worked for for Chevy for 8yrs and now have my own shop, you know as well as I do there is alot of poeple who don't take pride in there work. I see it all the time and I'm sure you do to, someone will come in telling me they went down the street and had work done thinking they saved money but their car is acting up again, then they are shocked when I what is wrong with their car and all the other shop did is put a band aid on it and took their money. There is alot people who think they know how to install systems and such but have no clue about electronics. Iagree on checking out the shop before you buy. If you or anyone have a GM techincal question feel free to ask.

Thanks for being level headed about this. I will call upon you with any questions that i have... man I hate hacks!!

Are there any remote start systems that have the capability of using the stock key fob???  That would be nice.

with a knowledgable installer, and the right remote starter, YES it can be done. the only drawback is the range of the factory remote sucks in comparison to the aftermarket stuff.

Im actually content with the range on the factory remote..... so to get one that would work with the factory remote would be great. It works from my apartment and from my desk at work so thats all i need.

Would you happen to have any info on a system that would work for that?? TIA

George :chevy:

Archived