Mold for carbon fiber engine cover

Jonmalibuss

Well some bad news on this project! Just as I was refinishing the mold to fix some very minor blemishes with resin and stuck the cover back in the mold to revaccum bag it the power went our here in my neighborhood for about 3hrs. or so. So not being able to get the vaccum going and having layed the resin already the mold is now screwed! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

When working with molds, you have to have some source of pressure for the resin/plastic to fill the small intricates of the mold. The vacuum bag pulls all of the air out of the mold and forms to that shape. If you remove all air and use the natural pressure at your elevation it can equal alot of pounds per square inch. I forget the exact terminologs, but if the mold has a surface area of say 2 feet and the natural air pressure is 14 PSI at 30# of vaccum, then the total weight on that mold would equal 14*144*2 = 4032 lbs I work in plastic extrusion, but I did take a composite class when I was in school and watched this done a few times.

Brian

how do you get the mold out??  Should it just pop off?

Mold release it's a water based liquid that when it dries creates a plastic film. I applied it to the engine cover let it dry and then startd with the fiberglass then into the vaccum bag. You can see the mould release in the second pic on the original engine cover piece.

what are u using for vacum and bags john? I wish my fender mold had turned out that nice... :tear:

Vaccum is just a 3hp. shop vac the guy at work helping me with Ideas told me it might burn it up but I left it on pulling vac. on the bag for 30+ min. and it never got hotter than normal use. and the bag I had in the pic was a pretty thick plastic, thicker then your normal trash bag the next time I vac. bagged it for the next layers I just used trash bags seemed to work fine!

Archived