Lowered my truck...

jboyd2004

I had my truck lowered. I took it Sat. to have it realigned and have the wheels/tires (slung weight) balanced. The alignment seems to be okay. There is a slight pull to the right, nothing major. Here's the problem...there is significant vibration between 45 and 55. So, I don't know if the pull to the right is related to the alignment or the vibration or both. The truck was fine (vibration wise) before the alignment.

I had the adhesive weights on the CL before. They took all those off and clamped weights on the inside. I have been told that it is very difficult to achieve balancing when the weight is clamped to the inside. Any suggestions on which way is best?

Should I take it back and request they fix it or find another shop? :dunno:

Sorry for the long post.

well the pull would almost certainly be related to the alignment...

though the vibration might be related to the lowering. the pinion angle may be off...i had a similar problem with my mcgaughys lowering kit. fixed it by changing the holes that were used in the kit...thought some have used shims...then again the vibration could be related to the alignment/balance some how...

i would go back and let the shop know that did it. they should look at it for free...and fix if necessary. if not...whoop some ass...

I went back to the shop yesterday. They looked at it for free but couldn't tell me what was causing it. The balancing was good as was the alignment. So, I called Belltech to see if they knew of any issues like that. They said no, but they hadn't put the kit on anything with 22s. They suggested that I call Hunter's custom automotive in Nashville, TN to see if they had any suggestions. Belltech called Hunter's as well. Finally, Hunter's said that I need a steering stabilizer. They put one on anytime the get above 20" wheels. Apparently, the wheels are the problem. Between 45 and 55, I'm getting harmonic excitation or resonance because I'm hitting the natural frequency of either the wheels or suspension. The steering stabilizer should dampen it out. I'll probably be putting the stabilizer on this weekend or next.

On a different note, Belltech has the 2" drop spindles coming out in 2-3 weeks. I'll be putting those on and cranking the torsion bars back to stock.

You sure it didn't happen just after the lowering, before the alignment? If they can't balance a 22" wheel properly, then take it somewhere else. Places that can properly balance wheels that big are sometimes hard to find.

I went back to the shop yesterday.  They looked at it for free but couldn't tell me what was causing it.  The balancing was good as was the alignment.  So, I called Belltech to see if they knew of any issues like that.  They said no, but they hadn't put the kit on anything with 22s.  They suggested that I call Hunter's custom automotive in Nashville, TN to see if they had any suggestions.  Belltech called Hunter's as well.  Finally, Hunter's said that I need a steering stabilizer.  They put one on anytime the get above 20" wheels.  Apparently, the wheels are the problem.  Between 45 and 55, I'm getting harmonic excitation or resonance because I'm hitting the natural frequency of either the wheels or suspension.  The steering stabilizer should dampen it out.  I'll probably be putting the stabilizer on this weekend or next.

On a different note, Belltech has the 2" drop spindles coming out in 2-3 weeks.  I'll be putting those on and cranking the torsion bars back to stock.

Any info (part number, pics, etc.) on this 'steering stabilizer'? Any idea what it does or how it does it? I'm wondering if that might help me...I'm chasing down a vibration between 65-75 mph myself....

Any info (part number, pics, etc.) on this 'steering stabilizer'?  Any idea what it does or how it does it?  I'm wondering if that might help me...I'm chasing down a vibration between 65-75 mph myself....

That range is where "most" pinion angle vibration problems occur. Seems that way anyway. That's where mine was in my old truck and know a few others with the same. A decent 4X4 shop can tell you if your angle is wrong or off.

You sure it didn't happen just after the lowering, before the alignment?  If they can't balance a 22" wheel properly, then take it somewhere else.  Places that can properly balance wheels that big are sometimes hard to find.

According to the shop I took it to, my alignment was way off. They said lowering it two inches wouldn't have made it that bad. So, they said since it was out before, pressure was kept on the steering column which kept it from vibrating.

Any info (part number, pics, etc.) on this 'steering stabilizer'?  Any idea what it does or how it does it?  I'm wondering if that might help me...I'm chasing down a vibration between 65-75 mph myself....

I've got to check with the accessories shop today to make sure they ordered something for me. I'll get the p/n then.

That range is where "most" pinion angle vibration problems occur. Seems that way anyway. That's where mine was in my old truck and know a few others with the same. A decent 4X4 shop can tell you if your angle is wrong or off.

Yeah, it looks like pinion angle....went to a driveline shop and they told me:

- Pinion angle, 7* positive

- Driveshaft angle, 2* positive

- Tranny angle, 4* positive

Pinion and tranny should match, need to drop my pinion. Easy for leaf-sprung trucks, a b**ch for 4-link vehicles. Trying to find a place that makes adjustable upper control arms.

Yeah, it looks like pinion angle....went to a driveline shop and they told me:

- Pinion angle, 7* positive

- Driveshaft angle, 2* positive

- Tranny angle, 4* positive

Pinion and tranny should match, need to drop my pinion. Easy for leaf-sprung trucks, a b**ch for 4-link vehicles. Trying to find a place that makes adjustable upper control arms.

At least you know what's causing it.

Still don't know what's going on with my truck. I haven't put the steering stabilizer on. Hopefully this week or next weekend. I finally took it out on the interstate. I have a huge vibration from the rear at about 80. Will the 2* shims fix this?

Still don't know what's going on with my truck.  I haven't put the steering stabilizer on.  Hopefully this week or next weekend.  I finally took it out on the interstate.  I have a huge vibration from the rear at about 80.  Will the 2* shims fix this?

Maybe. It's a shot in the dark unless you know your angles before you install the shims.

Still don't know what's going on with my truck.  I haven't put the steering stabilizer on.  Hopefully this week or next weekend.  I finally took it out on the interstate.  I have a huge vibration from the rear at about 80.  Will the 2* shims fix this?

I'm guessing that since you used belltech's 2/2 drop you did the exact samething I did Keys and Shackles? I had the same problem between 75 and 80 I had a bad vibration. I installed 4* shims and the problem is gone!

Archived