Suggestions please

2003SilvSS

I just turned 25, so this is why it is an issue to me. I am a college grad and work as a process engineer. I wear a pair of khakis and a collared shirt to work on every day except fridays (jeans). I look pretty good all cleaned up. With turning 25, my rates should drop. However I had a wreck about 3 years ago and that was on my record. After the 3 years was up, it goes off of my record and I would be considered a premium driver. 3 years will be in October. Sooo in October I was going to start looking around for some quotes and get a better rate on insurance. My buddy who turned 25, his insurance dropped from about 600$ every 6 months down to like $358. I'm not concerned with the whole money thing, that's not the issue. I am still leaching off of my parents policy and I hate that. I wanted to be able to get my own policy and get a good rate. Now I'm up the creek because in October when my 3 years is up on my wreck, they'll run my drivign record and see a nice speeding ticket on there. But as long as I am on my parents policy, the insurance company will not run my record unless it is by some random chance and my rates will probably continue to be $558. Oh well..

3 years at an increased rate of 100$ more every six months - $600

1 cold morning of sleeping in 5 minutes too long --------------- $160

----------------------

A Heavy foot ------------------------------------- $760

Damn near a functional CAI hood or Hard bed cover.

Good luck. With my 2 tickets in KY (17 mph or higher), I went to traffic school and nothing was ever on my record, until the third. The third one I was caught in Ohio and did not have the option of traffic school. I went to switch Insurance companies and they would not even quote me. Luckily I had already gotten off my parents insurance policy. Hope it works out for you, and I would go to court and see what happens.

I just turned 25, so this is why it is an issue to me.  I am a college grad and work as a process engineer.  I wear a pair of khakis and a collared shirt to work on every day except fridays (jeans).  I look pretty good all cleaned up.  With turning 25, my rates should drop.  However I had a wreck about 3 years ago and that was on my record.  After the 3 years was up, it goes off of my record and I would be considered a premium driver.  3 years will be in October.  Sooo in October I was going to start looking around for some quotes and get a better rate on insurance.  My buddy who turned 25, his insurance dropped from about 600$ every 6 months down to like $358.  I'm not concerned with the whole money thing, that's not the issue.  I am still leaching off of my parents policy and I hate that.  I wanted to be able to get my own policy and get a good rate.  Now I'm up the creek because in October when my 3 years is up on my wreck, they'll run my drivign record and see a nice speeding ticket on there.  But as long as I am on my parents policy, the insurance company will not run my record unless it is by some random chance and my rates will probably continue to be $558.  Oh well.. 

3 years at an increased rate of 100$ more every six months - $600

1 cold morning of sleeping in 5 minutes too long ---------------  $160

----------------------

A Heavy foot -------------------------------------          $760

Damn near a functional CAI hood or Hard bed cover.

Brian,

I'm an insurance agent in NY but we have clients in just about every state.

If you know there's no way to beat the ticket, you may want to apply for the policy now BEFORE you pay for the ticket. Most states record the ticket on your license AFTER you pay the fine and plead guilty. It's likely if an insurance company were to run your MVR today, it wouldn't show the violation.

Yes they may pick up on it at the next renewal but if you time this correctly, they would find out about the speeder just as the accident is dropping off.

You're correct that you do get a rate decrease at age 25. The only way to make your rates go lower is to get married :eek: or wait until you turn 30

PS If it's not too far of a drive...it's in your best interest to go to court and plea down the violation. You'll probably pay the same fine but many times they will offer to reduce the violation from 4 points to 3 or 2 if you demonstrate a responsible driving record. (You've got nothing to lose by trying.)

If it's reduced to a 2-point violation, it's not chargeable on your insurance unless there are 2 of them listed on your license.

e-mail if you want to discuss further.

[email protected]

Chris

I'm not sure where you are at but if you are in Cali give this guy a call. For $100.00 he got my friends 95 in a 65 Dismissed! I have only heard good things about this guy, I am sure he can help.

He goes by the name Mr. Ticket, his Real Name is Mitchell J. Mehdy, Attorney at Law. He is in San Diego (619)563-1515, Call him, he's cool...

Mr. Ticket won't be able to help me in the Land Of Ozz here in KS.

thanks though.

I called and plead not guilty today and set a court date of 4-22-05

I might tell the judge that I put some 20" wheels and tires on my truck and that threw the speedo off. No one around here knows squat about the SS, so who knows..............................

I don't know if things work the same way in all states, but going to court without an attorney (or without an attorney's knowledge of the law) is just plain STUPID.

I learned the hard way, very embarrassing. You can't just go in with a story and that's that.

Traffic court isn't like People's Court or Judge Judy.

Traffic court is like criminal court. You're going to be expected to do everything an attorney would... you're going to be cross-examining the ticketing officer. You'll be giving testimoney. You'll be calling witnesses (if you have any). The DA will cross examine the officer. Then you'll be cross-examined by the DA. If he's good, he'll tear you a new one. You'll also be expected to have closing statements. The judge will automatically assume the officer is competent and knew what he was doing. You're going to have to PROVE reasonable doubt that the officer was NOT competent and did NOT know what he was doing. The DA is going to try his best to prove that you're nothing but a big fat liar. The judge will have ZERO sympathy in your lack of knowledge of the law and how court proceedings take place. They're going to see that you chose to be your own attorney, so now you'll be expected to conduct yourself just like a seasoned attorney would.

I had a similar situation, BUT I believe I was profiled, because I was pulled over for doing absolutely nothing wrong and slapped with a total BS ticket (failure to stop at a stop sign at an intersection I was never at). The cop lied. He even got fired from the city after less than 1 month of employment (for what reason, I don't know). I even knew this because my wife's uncle is a city employee, but I was soooo nervous in court that I didn't think to bring this up in my cross examination. Dumbass that I am, I thought traffic court amounted to standing before a judge, telling him my story, and he'd say "hmmmm" and come to a decision. How wrong I was, it was more like those criminal courts on TV shows. The DA tore me a new one and made me look like a complete blubbering idiot. Basically it was a contest of who could be a better attorney, and obviously, I lost. Big time. The truth didn't matter worth a CRAP.

Based on my experience, I would either get an attorney, or change your plea to guilty on your court date and deal with the consequences.

If you're not prepared to be an attorney, you'll end up like this :cry::nonod::eek::banghead::uhoh:

The DA will be like this :crackup::cool:

And the judge will be like this :rolleyes::smash: GUILTY!

What's worse for you, is you were actually guilty. I was not, and I lost anyway. It wasn't bad enough that I lost, but I was made to feel about an inch tall. Anyway, I hope you paid attention in law classes. You don't have much time, you'd better get started building your case. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I went to court on Friday for my speeding ticket. The cop showed up of course and I talked to the county prosecutor. I proposed 3 different ways of being on diversion (probabtion). Every time he said INELIGIBLE, I was over the 80 mph limit in his policies for the diversion to be allowed. The judge was surprised that the prosecutor would not go for it. I offered to pay the full fine, double the diversion fee and to extend it to 1 year. That's a good deal for the county, but he said no. I could have went ahead and plead not guilty and got a lawyer, but that would have costed me 500$ and then there' snot a guarantee that I would win. I plead no contest, paid the ticket and went on. I guess I have to be good for 3 years now to get it off my record.

Brian

Archived