Cut outs

I just helped Adams2003 put his in... the wiring harness came up short so hes just running around town w/ them open untill he gets the extensions for it.

The only thing you need to worry about is positioning them past the exhaust sensors. Other than that its not to hard to do... AND SOUNDS AWESOME!

What type are you thinking of going with? Butterfly valve or gillitein style?

He doesn't have electric ones, just the flowtech race readies like I have sitting in my garage right now. I was looking, but it looks like it will actually be kind of hard to fit them where they wouldn't be hanging down about 3" or hitting the DS or something.

dylanvonkleist, did yall use 2.5", or 3" cut-outs? Is there any chance you would be able to get a pic of them installed? I rally want them too, but my exhaust guy said that where I would want them, he doesn't have room to weld.

Thanks

Aaron

They are basically Y-pipes that are put inline with your current exhaust. The bottom of the "Y" is an inlet. One upper parts of the "Y" is an outlet to the rest of your exhaust system. The other part of the "Y" is usually capped off. When you upcap it, it vents the exhaust straigh to the atmosphere. It's like "cutting out" a section of your exhaust.

They can be seen on this random page I just pulled up.

He doesn't have electric ones, just the flowtech race readies like I have sitting in my garage right now.  I was looking, but it looks like it will actually be kind of hard to fit them where they wouldn't be hanging down about 3" or hitting the DS or something.

dylanvonkleist, did yall use 2.5", or 3" cut-outs?  Is there any chance you would be able to get a pic of them installed?  I rally want them too, but my exhaust guy said that where I would want them, he doesn't have room to weld. 

Thanks

Aaron

I'll see if I can get you some pics. The Y pipes that came w/ the kit were absolute CRAP! Throw those flowtech things away... I've never seen a worse cutting and welding job ever. A freind of ours (*cough* JonmalibuSS *cough*) made a new set and did a great job... I beleive its 3" pass thru w/ a 2.5" cutout.

What do you guys mean by cut-outs? I'm a lil confused

An electric cutout is a way to uncork your exhaust w/ the push of a button so you can run straigt pipes. Basically theres 2 kinds:

Butterfly valve and gillitien (sp?) supposedly butterfly have a tendency to lead after a while, but I doubt we have room to run the gillitien setup under our trucks... those take up alot of room.

EDIT: marc w beat me to it :banghead:

i have had mine for about 8 months now. i used the cheap flowtechs and mine work great for $30. i welded mine in right infront of the muffler. and is a tight fit because if turned one way they hang down too low and another way they would hit the drive shaft. they are really loud. kinda annoying unless you are crusing around a carshow or at the running at the track

i bought mine from jegs

• 2 years later...
i have had mine for about 8 months now. i used the cheap flowtechs and mine work great for $30. i welded mine in right infront of the muffler. and is a tight fit because if turned one way they hang down too low and another way they would hit the drive shaft. they are really loud. kinda annoying unless you are crusing around a carshow or at the running at the track

i bought mine from jegs

Wow I just realized the date from this thread...!!

But I had the same cutout when I had my Camaro SS... the flowtech one sounded AAAWWWWESOOOME on the LS1.. Simply amazing.. I had the manual one, where youd just cap it up and be done with it... the electric ones always seems to cause problems or have issues with the wiring, so I figured 15 seconds under the car and Id be done with it. :D

Anyway.. Im curious to hear what the cutouts sound like on the 07 V-Max...!! drooool.. if anyone has any sound clips, post em up!! :D thanks!

Archived