Gas Mileage??

ctrow

:confused: I just got my SS on Friday and been enjoying it. But, I'm a little concerned about gas. It seems to suck it pretty good. Granted it has only 300 miles on it so it's still breaking in. Plus it's AWD and I have "tested the waters" so to speak a few times. However, I have about 60 miles on a fill up and it almost used a quarter tank. My reference comes from my 02 Sierra 5.3L. It would get around 350 miles per tank. I was hoping to get same.

Does this seem low to anyone else? Just curious.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have about 5300 miles on mine(bought it 03-14-2003). My current average is 14.7 mpg. Went from Maine to Tennessee three weeks ago and on the highway my fuel mileage range would be upwards of 400 miles per tank.

Yesterday, the on board computer said

825 miles (total)

13.2 miles/gal (over the 825 miles)

Mostly country driving on 55 mph roads with about 5 miles average between stop signs.

Makes the greatest sound pulling away from the stops! adictive :thumbs:

60 miles and a 1/4 tank low sounds a little abnormal to me, but I'm no expert. I have a little over 2000 on mine and I am getting right at 400 miles to the tank full. My mileage has been pretty comparable with my 99'GMC that had a 5.3L. I'd keep an eye on it just to be safe.

Ctrow, I too came from an '02 5.3 and was initially concerned about the fuel economy. Don't worry about it, your SS still isn't broke-in and the mileage will come around after you get some miles on it.

When my SS was 2 days old with 80 miles on it, I took a 500 mile trip - initial fuel economy on the interstate at 80 mph was 11.8 mph, towards the end of the trip it was pushing 15.7 - 16 mpg. Which is roughly the same ballpark my '02 5.3 did on that same drive.

Every gallon of gas and mile on my '02 was documented in an Excel spreadsheet I created (I'll post it when I get chance). Monitoring the fuel mileage from new at 14 miles and following it to 15,xxx miles, the fuel economy was still improving.

:cheers:

When I fill up, the DIC usually indicates around 380 mile driving range. My DIC reported Avg. fuel mileage is usually aroung 14.7 to 15.5 mpg. I just made a 385 mile round trip drive with some performance driving through mountain curves and some slow speed construction zones and my DIC reported Avg. fuel mileage for the trip was 16.5 mpg.

Thanks for the info guys. I have to admit the exhaust sound from a stop light is addictive. I visited my parents today(had to show off the new SS) and came back home which is about 65 miles. It said it was about 13.8 MPG when I got home and that was doing 70 - 90 on the highway. I'll keep and eye on it though. Thanks again for the responses.

I seem to average 10-12 with mixed freeway and street driving. The supercharger lets me burn more fuel, and it is hard to resist :D But it gets up to 17 on the highway. On the way back from Palm Springs coming through the Banning pass with a very strong headwind, the MPG dipped to 8-11 MPG on the highway!!!! Bringing the speed down to 65-70 mph helped gain a couple of MPG.

Honest officer, I had no idea I was going that fast :jester:

Actually, to drive 70, you have to be in the slow lane. It is one of those 4 lane (each direction) freeways with nothing much around, and people go really fast.

...Did some experimenting with drafting off the big rigs. Went 5 miles behind a box trailer on a flat part of I-95 and attained 19.6mpg average at 65 - 70 MPH.

Dropped the tailgate for the ride home and noticed nothing...14.9 @ 70mph (no drafting)...had 14.8 @70 with the tailgate up.

Just an FYI.

On the tailgate thing - I've read articles that say it can actually cause more drag and reduce gas mileage by having it down. Don't know how, but.... Seems hard to believe, as are a lot of things you read nowadays.

Archived