Pistol advice

bgdsub72

Well, I am getting ready to purchase my first pistol. What is a good one for a Novice shooter? I was thinking a glock or ??? but keep in mind I don't want to spend more than $500. I have shot 22 rifle (have my NRA Pro Marksman for 50ft) and 12 gauge before but never really got into hand guns untill now. Lets hear some feedback from you pistol owners.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Semi-Auto - Glock 20 series are nice. Remember though, no mechanical safety...the only safety is right between your shoulders.

It also depends on what you want it for. If you are going to target practice at a range, you need something with a longer barrel. If you are going to carry it, I would recommend a baby glock.

Semi-Auto - Glock 20 series are nice.  Remember though, no mechanical safety...the only safety is right between your shoulders.

It also depends on what you want it for.  If you are going to target practice at a range, you need something with a longer barrel.  If you are going to carry it, I would recommend a baby glock.

Looking for something for both...Target practice and personal safety.

I'm a traditionalist myself. I carry a Ruger Vaquero revolver in .45 Colt.

As far as autos go I like the M1911 style pistols in .45ACP. A great self-defense round with good knockdown power at handgun ranges. I think Para-Ordnance makes a good product. Their compact models are particularly handy for the glove box.

I have to echo JBoyd. Decide if it's mainly for carry/defense or target shooting to decide on size/barrel length. If for both, a full-size M1911 like the P14-45 would be my pick.

If you want a good dependable handgun, go ahead and put an extra 500 with it and get a springfield arms or kimber custom. The kimber custom is a 1911 style gun. I know some people who have put several thousand rounds through them without any problems. The only work anybody I know has done to them is just replacing the recoil spring. If it were me, I would pay the 1000 for a very dependable gun.

Kimber-custom-ss-med-nam.jpg

$719.99

I have a Glock 17 its only a 9mm but I'm accurate. I Carry it with a shoulder holster and that also has provisions for two extra clips.

Also have a stash of rifles.

One thing to know.. Brand of Bullets make a difference.

I belong to a Shooters Club and one day I had the opportunity to have a few different manufactures supply different (pistols) weapons. We also had pallets of ammo from different mfg.that we could choose from.

A particular weapon will shoot better (accuracy) than another with different ammo. I have also been told this by many old timers and it is very true.

If you have the opportunity to take a piece to the range before you buy it..Do so.

Happy shooting !! SAFETY FIRST

If you want a good dependable handgun, go ahead and put an extra 500 with it and get a springfield arms or kimber custom.  The kimber custom is a 1911 style gun.  I know some people who have put several thousand rounds through them without any problems.  The only work anybody I know has done to them is just replacing the recoil spring.  If it were me, I would pay the 1000 for a very dependable gun.

Thats a good idea, but I am trying to put myself on a budget...I need to keep a few $ for the boat I am about to buy... I can alway upgrade later. But for now I would like to stay in the $500 range.

also whats a good caliber to start off with? 9mm or 45?

If you want a good dependable handgun, go ahead and put an extra 500 with it and get a springfield arms or kimber custom.  The kimber custom is a 1911 style gun.  I know some people who have put several thousand rounds through them without any problems.  The only work anybody I know has done to them is just replacing the recoil spring.  If it were me, I would pay the 1000 for a very dependable gun.

Once again, I couldn't agree more. Firearms are not the place to get cheap. You want reliability and safety. I also agree that in addition to the Para's, the above are other good choices. The SA GI .45 1911-A1 high-capacity is a great weapon for about $500.

Again, the .40's and .45's are best for self defense IMHO. A 9mm will make a nice target gun though, and is adequate for protection.

Archived