Pistol advice

bgdsub72

40 Caliber Glocks

Any of these would be good choices.  Do some reading here if you want good info on glocks. 

Also, a .357 would be a good caliber.  The Tennesse Highway Patrol carry .357 sig glocks.  They were carrying 40 cal smith&wessons but switched for the penetration of the sig.

I would still stick with a .40 or .45, Penetration may be important if you're highway patrol and looking to shoot through car doors and radiators. Unless you're planning ahead of time on going up against guys wearing vests, these are still the better stoppers. For close-range self defense I wouldn't trade bullet diameter for velocity.

With my revolver I like the sheer intimidation factor of a guy having to look straight at those big .45's in the cylinder when the barrel is pointed at him..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would still stick with a .40 or .45, Penetration may be important if you're highway patrol and looking to shoot through car doors and radiators. Unless you're planning ahead of time on going up against guys wearing vests, these are still the better stoppers. For close-range self defense I wouldn't trade bullet diameter for velocity.

I agree. I carry a 40 cal myself. Most of the troopers I know carry 40s when not in uniform.

I like the 1911 too. If I could have only one pistol, it would probably be a Springfield Armory 1911.

I don't think a single-action government model is the ideal starter pistol, however. First I would suggest a 9mm Beretta 92. It's a pleasure to shoot, ammo is less expensive (especially in 1000rd lots) and readily available. Extra 15rd magazines are plentiful also. Second choice would be a Glock 19 which still carries 16rds but in a more compact package.

Remember, shot placement is EVERYTHING! Load it up with 16, 115gn Triton or Corbon bullets and fear NOTHING that goes bump in the night! After you fire a few hundred rounds and get proficient with it, then get a .45, 454, or whatever trips your trigger. :)

I carry a Colt Commander, 1911 frame (just a tad smaller than the standard 1911) in .45 ACP, or course. It's HEAVY after a while, but it's worth it. My wife has smaller hands and wrists (also a bit weaker) and she carries the Glock 27 in .40 cal.

If you're going to carry, it means you're expecting someday to run into trouble. Read, a gun fight. Most gun fights are over in a few seconds, about the lenght of time it took you to read the first 9 words of this sentence. Therefore, a few things to consider... (if you will permit me).

1. You MUST be ready to kill someone. Otherwise, don't carry, you're just as much a victim but you're a lot more comfortable without a few pounds of steel on you all the time.

2. Always carry extra ammo, at least one magazine, two is better. (and carry an auto - while a few can reload a revolver very quickly, most can't.)

3. Practice, practice, practice - and that means everything about your weapon. Learn NOT to catch the mags when you drop them. I have one that has been dropped hundreds of times, it still shoots, but it's the only one I drop in practice

4. Never go to a gun fight (and if you're carrying, you are ALWAYS going to a gun fight) with a weapon who's caliber starts with less than "40". I know .357s are powerful, but the 45 is the proven weapon for making bad guys fall down (which is your goal, it takes a lot of the fight out of the gun fight) and the 40 isn't too far behind.

5. Shoot first, shoot often, shoot last.

6. NEVER shoot to wound.

Sorry, hope this isn't too long and boring, just my opinions.

good topic to start, i myself will be looking for my first handgun around december, i was leaning towards a glock but i agree you cant put a price on your life if you plan to use it for protection.

1. You MUST be ready to kill someone. Otherwise, don't carry, you're just as much a victim but you're a lot more comfortable without a few pounds of steel on you all the time.

2. Always carry extra ammo, at least one magazine, two is better. (and carry an auto - while a few can reload a revolver very quickly, most can't.)

3. Practice, practice, practice - and that means everything about your weapon. Learn NOT to catch the mags when you drop them. I have one that has been dropped hundreds of times, it still shoots, but it's the only one I drop in practice

4. Never go to a gun fight (and if you're carrying, you are ALWAYS going to a gun fight) with a weapon who's caliber starts with less than "40".  I know .357s are powerful, but the 45 is the proven weapon for making bad guys fall down (which is your goal, it takes a lot of the fight out of the gun fight) and the 40 isn't too far behind.

6. NEVER shoot to wound.

i agree... i use too and still do carry what some people today would call a pea shooter.a 4" S&W mod. 39 9mm auto. it's small light weight, and can be conceled very well in my boots, paints pocket, waist band anywhere. all i ever use to load was silver jacketed hollow points, small hole in, big hole inside. also have a ruger 45ca. s/a black hawk with 240 gr. full jacketed hollow points that i keep next to my bed.

i've been in gun fights, and i hope i'm never in anouther, and if it ever comes down to being in one i know i can, and will go the distance. i'ts easy for most people to think it's easy to drop the hammer on someone, and it is..... the hard part is LIVING WITH IT.................but thats for anouther thread.

:seeya:

the hard part is LIVING WITH IT.................but thats for anouther thread.

:seeya:

The 9 with with silver hollow points is very nice and, as you said, easy to carry, but it's best for VERY close work. I like a bit more distance and a bit more knock down power. Personal preference perhaps.

The part I quoted is EXACTLY right. You have to have your mind made up before hand that you ARE going to be able to live with it, that you've made the right decisions. At least that's what I've done. Sort of like making sure all your bills are paid before you go sky diving... At least, that's what works for me, your mileage may vary... but that is for another thread... :thumbs:

I carry a Colt Commander, 1911 frame (just a tad smaller than the standard 1911) in .45 ACP, or course. It's HEAVY after a while, but it's worth it. My wife has smaller hands and wrists (also a bit weaker) and she carries the Glock 27 in .40 cal.

If you're going to carry, it means you're expecting someday to run into trouble. Read, a gun fight. Most gun fights are over in a few seconds, about the lenght of time it took you to read the first 9 words of this sentence. Therefore, a few things to consider... (if you will permit me).

4. Never go to a gun fight (and if you're carrying, you are ALWAYS going to a gun fight) with a weapon who's caliber starts with less than "40".  I know .357s are powerful, but the 45 is the proven weapon for making bad guys fall down (which is your goal, it takes a lot of the fight out of the gun fight) and the 40 isn't too far behind.

6. NEVER shoot to wound.

Cool, thanks for your words of wisdom...

Well, I am leaning more towards the Glock 22 or 23...whats a good price to pay for one?

Archived