warrenty things

fast4popper

I have a few things on the SS that I think should be taken care of under warrenty.

1) one of my radio knobs has the grey paint flaking off, will they cover this?

2)I get a slight "loose" feeling in the steering wheel when I turn left and a small thunking sound.

3) the headliner on the passenger side does not tuck in all the way so when you open the door you can see the backside and edge of the headliner.

is all of this coverable? do I have to raise a stink or should they just do it and not ask any questions?

thanks guys and gals

-C-

I have a few things on the SS that I think should be taken care of under warrenty.

1) one of my radio knobs has the grey paint flaking off, will they cover this?

2)I get a slight "loose" feeling in the steering wheel when I turn left and a small thunking sound.

3) the headliner on the passenger side does not tuck in all the way so when you open the door you can see the backside and edge of the headliner.

is all of this coverable?  do I have to raise a stink or should they just do it and not ask any questions?

thanks guys and gals

-C-

I know some people on here have had their radio buttons fixed... as for the other stuff I'm not sure.

I just had my cd player/radio replaced under warranty for the same reason; the paint was flaking off my preset buttons and the volume control. They didn't give me any trouble at all but they had to order it and it took a couple weeks.

I had initially taken my truck in because of the steering "clunk" that you mention, apparently it's a known problem, the service rep knew exactly what I was talking about. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft and it feels like it did when it was new.

I don't have the headliner problem that you describe but if you are unhappy with it, they need to fix it, you spent good money on your truck.

I was really pleased with the service that I received, I hope your dealer treats you the same way.

they should cover all that under warrenty. That steering wheel clunk has been mentioned tons of times, they will grease it for you or replace it. There are several threads on that so I cant remember exactly the fix. I have to take my truck over soon for the steering wheel crap also, but none of the other stuff is a problem yet

I just had my cd player/radio replaced under warranty for the same reason; the paint was flaking off my preset buttons and the volume control.  They didn't give me any trouble at all but they had to order it and it took a couple weeks.

I had my radio replaced as well. I took the truck in and showed it to them. They had a new one in and installed in two days.

I had initially taken my truck in because of the steering "clunk" that you mention, apparently it's a known problem, the service rep knew exactly what I was talking about.  They replaced the intermediate steering shaft and it feels like it did when it was new. 

Yeah, mine was doing something similar. I felt like a fool trying to describe it when the service guy muttered "intermediate steering shaft" under his breath and said they'll order one. Turns out I need a new shock too. I'm wondering what they're going to say about the rough idle. I think I narrowed it down to being worse when the engine is warm, but I could easily see them blowing that one off.

So far, I'm pleased with this dealer. I was worried going in after getting that mailer about the "full coverage" extended warranty). I thought GM was trying to tell me something. That is, that they were basically only going to cover engine and tranny failures.

By the way, has anyone else's brake pedal/gas pedal started rusting? That made my gripe list too.

By the way, has anyone else's brake pedal/gas pedal started rusting?  That made my gripe list too.

Yes I noticed that also when I was running my system wires, kinda got me a little heated also, I dont see how they could rust like that. I guess thats something else I will say when i go in to see them.

Everything on your truck down to the light bulbs is under warranty. If you changed a part like the axhaust for example, it will not be waarantied obviously. The dealer ship can decide wether or not to warranty parts of your truck if they feel it broke due to abuse, it depends on how nice the service manager is. It also helps if you are a regular customer and not giving them an attitude when you have a problem with your truck. When i worked for chevy it usually boiled down to how cool the customer was with me. I could warranty thing they messed up if they were honest with me. If the dealer refuses to warranty anything on your truck you can call the warranty assistance # in your owners manual. When you talk direcly to GM they are more giving to the customer because they want to keep you a GM customer.

Tim

Here's a little information GM customers don't know - GM has a goodwill grace period beyond the factory waranty up to about 45k or 6 months were they will warranty all or part of the repair. Again this alos depends on how good of a customer you are.

Hope this Helps :thumbs:

when the service guy muttered "intermediate steering shaft" under his breath and said they'll order one.  Turns out I need a new shock too.  I'm wondering what they're going to say about the rough idle.  I think I narrowed it down to being worse when the engine is warm, but I could easily see them blowing that one off. 

By the way, has anyone else's brake pedal/gas pedal started rusting?  That made my gripe list too.

Well, getting back to the original thread topic of what you can have done under warranty...

Got the shock replaced. Had the steering shaft lubricated instead of replaced. Had the latch on the back seat replaced (the seat kept on falling down). Had the brake and accelerator pedals painted with Rustoleum. ... Then I had to sit through the BS line of "oh, all trucks do that" regarding the rough idle. Told the guy it didn't do that when it was new, and he shrugged his shoulders :mad: Man, am I fuming. I mean the thing was doing it when I got in it to leave. I will say they apparently did try to do some diagnotics, checking for codes etc., and didn't charge me for it. Anyway, I'll be starting a thread about this some other time...

Oh yeah, one last thing. Since the shock was out of stock, they did comp me a Cadillac CTS for a day/night. Very nice ride.

Intermediate Shaft

Tail Gate Cable (recall)

Windshield Wiper Motor (internal short)

Drivers Door Window Regulator (squealing)

Still need to have left front wheel well front trim piece installed to prevent water from slinging into headlamp assy

oh, and left brake lamp, twice

I recently brought my truck in for a list of things, many of which I found out were common problems from this site. In terms of the steering clunk, I got the intermediate replaced and it is working like silk now. The dealer told me that they were lubing them for a while until they found out that the problem comes back after 10000 miles. Have them replace it if you can. I also had a problem with the light sensor on the dash and my dimming mirrors were not working. My 03' SS's warrenty is nearly up so I had it all done at once. I think they were glad to see me finally leave the dealership....

I need to take mine in to have the marker lights replaced I just noticed they have a really bad haze inside of them on the clear lense and on the chrome! I have also had one of my keyless transmitters replaced under warranty and the valvebody in the trans replaced for a 1-2 no shift condition while cold!

Archived