Crank pulley

XSS

How do you remove the stock pulley? I have a underdrive crank pulley that I want to install however I can't get the stock one off! How do I keep the engine from spinning when trying to take off the bolt that holds the crank pulley on?! :confused:

Yea, I have the puller. Just getting the nut off is a pain! Any other ways to keep the pulley from spinning while taking the nut off? :banghead:

Yea, I have the puller.  Just getting the nut off is a pain!  Any other ways to keep the pulley from spinning while taking the nut off?  :banghead:

not with an automatic :( it's much easier with a flywheel locker, but I'm not sure where you can get them. get a buddy to hold a screwdriver there for ya.

I have had mine off and on for 3 times now. What is the correct torque for the main crank bolt?

Strap wrench is the key. I used the black handled one from Sears. I broke the handle the 2nd time I used it. :(

I have had mine off and on for 3 times now.  What is the correct torque for the main crank bolt? 

Strap wrench is the key.  I used the black handled one from Sears.  I broke the handle the 2nd time I used it.   :(

The few times I have had mine off I used the instructions from the ls1howto.com site.

37lbs to start and then mark it at the top and use a breaker bar to turn it 140 deg more.

The stock bolts are torque to yield and should not be reused, although many have reused them and been fine. They are very cheap though, less than 5 bucks.

Head/Cam swap link

Archived