Good news from FLP

Great news!! Chuck found out why my FLP L5 failed recently, and the failure was not related to high torque!

The forward clutches were WELDED :) We had added a second check valve on the vacuum lines and it seems like that second check valve was working improperly and not releasing the vacuum, so I had extremely low line pressure. The way I had the check valve installed was not quite as bad as it could have been -- it would bleed the vacuum down in a couple of seconds rather than instantly, which is why it worked great on short WOT runs and died on the first 1/4 run.

All the hard parts survived fine, and the 3-4 bands survived the run, but do show signs of low pressure abuse.

Needless to say we're going back to the single check valve method and will be doing the 4L65E again, as Chuck feels pretty good about the condition of the tranny other than the low pressure problem.

Chuck knows exactly who got these check valve systems with the faulty valves (only 4 really high hp / high torque applications from a month ago), and it sounds like I'm the only truck guy, so every can breath a sigh of relief.

That's cool.  I guess it'll be time to see if it can be broken and be torque related, here soon.

If it can still be broken by power, we can trust Erik to find out... :D

But seriously, that is good news. It would be nice to find out that the limits of a built 60/65 are higher than we think. :P

Good luck, Beserker. Keep us posted... :cheers:

Well if FLP (Chuck) does get this better mousetrap figured out he'll be swimming in orders.

Mr. P. :)

i'm not sure about that. rossler has had their 65E hold up behind the twin turbo 427's. they get plenty of orders, but i'm sure it's not a rediculous amount. it's still alot of money to drop in one hit.

I'm not sure about that. rossler has had their 65E hold up behind the twin turbo 427's. they get plenty of orders, but i'm sure it's not a rediculous amount. it's still alot of money to drop in one hit.

Everyone wants 600 plus HP, but noone wants to spend money beefing up trannies. No sex appeal there... :wtf:

i agree that the weight issue is considerable. the main point there is that they have been working on transmissions to take that kind of power for quite a while. to the best of my knowledge they build pretty much all transmissions for LPE and have seen power levels that erik is seeing quite a while ago. LPE has offered a turbo package for the current trucks since the C3 was released. those trucks all needed the trans upgrade...

Zippy, I know you are only offering an alternative and am not taking it like you are challenging my decision at all, so this isn't directed at you, just in response.

I considered Rossler at the time. I went with Chuck because his trannies seem to be every bit as good as Rossler's and were running in cars and trucks with similar power as what Rossler gave me as examples, but Chuck spent a good 30-45 minutes on the phone with me talking about what I wanted the truck to do and telling me how he thought he could get the tranny strong enough to hold the power. Rossler didn't come close to that kind of service (in fact he told me something like 'I won't give you a list of parts. If I tell you it will be strong enough, it will be.')

Chuck has spent some serious time on the phone with me, and more time putting my tranny on the dyno and giving it the kind of personal attention and tuning that it will take to get the most out of it. I consider him to be absolutely top notch, and more along the lines of a gear-head buddy than a vendor. Whenever I've had a problem, the first thing Chuck said was "Send it up to me and I'll figure it out." He has never waffled one little bit from day one.

Of course, that doesn't knock Rossler trannies at all. I'd just prefer to work with Chuck.

Archived