Test and Tune at Gainesville

tawss04

Just want to get a base time on my SS before i start playing with it. Anyone in the area going. I usually see Lightings and some Dodges running out there but have seen any SS's there. Curious what some modified SS's are running at the track. :driving:

Did you make it out, "tawss04"...???

I saw a Blue SS in the tech line and waived, but then never found it again...?

Anyway, I ran the SS for the first time, (Mods: K&N drop-in and dual magnaflow mufflers)...did 15.3 @ 88mph (3 runs, same result).

It was a ~72 F night, a little humid (FL always is...)...I know it could do better, and I'll run it again in the cooler weather (Nov or Dec maybe).

It was BUSY as hell tonight...long waits idleing in the staging lanes, and the time slip printer was not working, so no one got slips?!? They didn't even have them at the end of the run...you had to have someone in the stands watch for you!

...and this thing is EASY to dragrace...point and shoot...floor it, wait ~15 seconds...let off.

Got one pic as I pulled up for one run:

SS_at_dragstrip.jpg

So, I'm happy...not bad for a daily driver and tow vehicle that weighs ~5200lbs!

- Brian

Ya that was me. after tech inspection i had to go take care of some (my little brother was with me.

Ran a 15.3 @ 87mph

Engine was piniging down the track, never had that problem till last night go figure. I'll take care of it at my shop it's a simple fix.

Ran 15.0 @ 90mph on the G-tech. all i have is a K-N filter.

I did not see you when i came back. :thumbs:

Yeah, sorry I missed you.

I had to split at ~9:15 or so...a buddy of mine blew the headgasket on his '95 M3 on the way to the track, and it was left for dead in Starke. I drove him back up and we tried to limp it back to Orange Park, but didn't make it far...it was burning off coolant WAY to fast to drive it safely.

My guess is that the car overheated, but he never knew it...the coolant temp wire harness has a short, so he has a non-working temp gauge...it's probably been overheating this whole week, it just never exhibited symptoms 'til last night. And it was DONE...blowing the sweet-smelling exhaust fume that spells big $$$ for a M3 owner.

Sucks, too...he just had a '98 3.2 liter M3 motor swapped into the car a couple months ago...cost $3750 for the longblock, and another $3000 for labor. I cannot imagine what a new head and the labor is gonna set him back this time.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

We'll meet up at some point, I'm sure.

If you wanna head back to the track some other time, let me know.

..and congrats on your runs. (Looks like the exhaust is good for a MPH increase, but not much decrease in E.T...).

- Brian

Yeah, I did all the work on this guys old turbo'd, ~400rwhp 240SX...but I refuse to touch the ///M3.

Too much trouble, and WAY too costly if ANYTHING goes wrong.

BTW, why the pinging...have you advanced your base timing, or...???

- Brian

Good times for stock guys, hopefully next time I will be able to make it out there. I ran 15.1 with flowmasters, a volant, super billet servos, and weighing in at 5500lbs(x2000 tonneau and over a half tank of gas!). I have custom tuning and a roll pan now and wouldnt mind seeing what it can do now. Orion, let me know a little in advance and I will try and meet with you and we can head down.

C.K.

Brian i am running the stock program, the pinging is typical for all GM trucks. It's caused by excessive carbon build up in the cylinders. It's an easy fix i did a 1000 of them when i worked at the dealership. Just sucks it started at the track because it will retard the timing :banghead:

Archived