Chipped Windshield

LOUI1313

Ok, I was on the highway going home and my windshild was hit with a rock. :banghead: I now have a chip in it about the size of a nickle. Was wondering how to fix this. I know there are kits to fix this but wanted to hear what you guys thoguht was the best thing to do.

Do I get someone to do it professionally, or do I just use super glue? What do you think... Do the "pro's" fix it that much better than a kit from a auto parts store would do?

Thanks

i would get the pros to do it...if you fix in time you can save the windsheild...or you can be like me and wait util it crakcs all the way across...when i get this windsheild replaced it will be my 3rd one :banghead: for the truck including the one it came with...they last about eight months with me...got it installed for about $180 or $190 cant remember

Edited by Ldogss (see edit history)

I almost have to have glass coverage in Arizona...I already have 3 chips and I've only had the truck for 3 months.... If it's part of your polocy it is a no-fault claim and cannot be counted against you to raise your insurance rate...It may be worth it to have it put on your polocy if you don't have it yet then claim it in a month or so. there are kits you can get at auto zone... but if you've never done it before it can be a little tricky to get it just right. I use to work as an auto glass tek... a replacement is sometimes much easier than fixing it...

Edited by jchitwo (see edit history)

I would go with the professionals as well. I don't know how your state is but when I lived in KY I got one windshield replacement free of charge. I had 2 spots sealed and the company told me that if I did not like the looks later down the road they would replace the windshield free of charge, even if I moved out of state.

At least with the pros there is some sort of warranty.

A few tips from the 'pro'.

First of all....get a PROFESSIONAL repair done as soon as possible. The sooner you have it done, the better it repairs (the chip can become contaminated with dust/dirt/water).

Second, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE CHIP! The only thing you will do is contaminate the area.

The other thing that most people do not realize with rock chips it that they are a physical fix....not a cosmetic fix. Most of the time, you will still be able to see the impact area after the repair.

Process of having a repair done:

1. We drill out the top layer of the glass to open up/expose the chip (you have three layers in a windshield - glass/laminate (plastic)/glass)

2. We pull a vacuum on the area to pull out all of the dust/dirt/etc.

3. Under high pressure, we inject a clear resin. This is what seals the area off and keeps the chip from spreading (**Disclaimer** Sometimes, if the chip is really bad, the run in the glass can take off during this step. It is extremely rare, but happens in about 1% of repairs).

4. We bake the resin by using a UV light to completely cure the chip.

The whole process takes about 45 minutes on average, and in this area (Indiana) you can expect to pay about $45-50 for a single repair, and if you have additional repairs on the same vehicle you will pay about $20-25.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Professional Glass Co., Inc.

Clinton, IN

Going with a pro is the best way to go, wish I could go this route with mine. I had a truck throw a nice sized rock into my winshield and its smashed :( I need to get a new one before state inspection this summer.

Oh, thank you for bringing that up....the one thing that I forgot to add.

With the system that we use, we can only repair chips that are about the size of a quarter. There are other systems out there that can do larger ones, and some even claim that they can do cracks (up to 4-5 inches in length). I have never seen one of these in action....but I don't know how they would keep pressure on the surface to force the resin in.....

I don't think its worth it to have the glass insurance on an american car or truck as the glass is reasonably priced, if the whole windshield needs to be replaced. The insurance is almost the price of the windshield a year. I haven't needed to change my windshield every year. When I get a chip, I just bring it to the pros and they patch it up pretty cheap and it looks good.

While the price for the w/s on a Silverado is reasonable ($300 range), it is important to do some checking on other vehicles before dropping glass coverage! There are some w/s out there (such as a GM mini-van, e.g. Montana or Aztec) where the w/s is in the $1000 range installed. Also, don't forget that glass coverage also covers quarter/door/back glass. These smaller and less common parts can be VERY expensive!

While the price for the w/s on a Silverado is reasonable ($300 range), it is important to do some checking on other vehicles before dropping glass coverage!  There are some w/s out there (such as a GM mini-van, e.g. Montana or Aztec) where the w/s is in the $1000 range installed.  Also, don't forget that glass coverage also covers quarter/door/back glass.  These smaller and less common parts can be VERY expensive!

:withstupid:

I had to pay a nice penny a few years ago when some as* hole smashed my windows out in my old truck. My insurance would not pay for any of it because my deductible was at that time set as $1000 and the damage was less then that.

When my windshield got smashed last summer in my blazer I called my insurance and they said it is not covered under my policy, so thats why it is still smashed up.

CAVEAT EMPTOR...Pay for chip repair out of your pocket.

It's only between $50 and $75.

Insurance companies love to do it for Free to have you take the bait.

Remember it in their best interest to do it as cheaply as possible as it counts as a claim in their book, no matter what they pay out and get you after you have made a second claim(and that can happen in a flash).

Don't use a :jester: chisel advice. "Take a center punch and a hammer and make the chip into a crack. Insurance will take care of the rest... by putting in a whole new windshield."

It's because of insurance :mad: FRAUD that good drivers are overpaying for insurance.

Some companies send out an adjuster and they are looking to weezel out of having to pay and can tell a widshield has been chiselled.

it's too late when your rate increases and your stuck with multiple claims in your file and your hard good record without claims for 5 years is history.

Use common sense :thumbs:

Dr Mike :driving: