Front end grawl

I've got the same noise. Some people upgrade their front differential oil. In some cases I have read that helped significantly. Mine growls at low speed turns, but since a lot of other people have heard the same noise and it's not changed in the past 6,000 miles, I'm not goign to worry about it to much.

:withstupid: I had mine checked for growl only when coasting while slow speed turning. They found no filings, or any indicator of serious problems, so changed to synthetic fluid (which made no difference in the sound in my case anyway).

Evidently it's common in these trucks as many have it. I would still have it checked for pieces in the diff case - some have found chunks - if it gives you peace of mind.

Personally, I'd rather not hear it, but hey, it's a truck, so I'll monitor and if it gets worse, I'll have the dealer re-look at the problem. Luckily, I'm low mileage and she's only been "in service" for 9 months, so I've got lots of time for this to worsen, if it's gonna. It's actually not very loud at all.

I talked to a service adviser that i know. He is going to take a look at it on Monday. Here is a list that he is going to look at.

1. My drivers side door cladding glue stopped holding in the heat and hit the fender when i open the door. only the paint on the cladding got damaged.(He already ordered a new cladding)

2. the front end grawl. He told me he has had two SS trucks come in with a bad diff. bearings.

3. I have a bad rattle in my dashboard. Both driverside and passenger side.

He told me that my light was on. my trade in light. :lol::lol:

Good thing is he told me dont worry about taking out the nitrous. ;)

• 1 month later...
I talked to a service adviser that i know. He is going to take a look at it on Monday. Here is a list that he is going to look at.

1. My drivers side door cladding glue stopped holding in the heat and hit the fender when i open the door. only the paint on the cladding got damaged.(He already ordered a new cladding)

2. the front end grawl. He told me he has had two SS trucks come in with a bad diff. bearings.

3. I have a bad rattle in my dashboard. Both driverside and passenger side.

He told me that my light was on. my trade in light.  :lol:  :lol:

Good thing is he told me dont worry about taking out the nitrous.  ;)

1. Same thing happened on my passenger door AFTER the dealer replaced the cladding because it was rippled.

2. Mine has always had a minor growl when turning slow. I changed the diff oil at 28K and found alot of metal particles on the magnetic drain plug. I talked to the service advisor and he told me to keep an eye on it. At 32K I changed the oil again and found more metal on the plug. In addition I started to notice a significant growl at low speeds drving straight. This week I took the truck in, they found the outer diff bearings were "pretty chewed up" and replaced them. I pick the truck up in about an hour so we will see how much it changed.

3. My passenger seat back rattles, they are looking at the resolution.

I got mine back the other day they had to replace the bearings and ring and pinion. Service manager said it is common for these trucks.

what a crappy way for GM to be, make a product that is known to have problems.....

Mine makes the noise while turning and makes a little noise while driving under a light load at speeds around 40-55....so I guess I need to have it looked at before my warranty runs out then?

• 4 weeks later...

:banghead:

I dropped mine off at chevy yesterday for the howling noise coming from the front diff. and whats new they had to order parts in. They told me that the bearing in the front diff. was all pitted up. Supposed to be ready tomorrow, but who knows if it will.

Also had a whistle from the back windows and they told me that they were going to change them out.

Well I guess that i will find out tomorrow whether it helped or not, but it can't really be any worse. I could hear the howling over the radio and the rain.

:banghead:

I dropped mine off at chevy yesterday for the howling noise coming from the front diff. and whats new they had to order parts in.  They told me that the bearing in the front diff. was all pitted up.  Supposed to be ready tomorrow, but who knows if it will. 

Also had a whistle from the back windows and they told me that they were going to change them out.

Well I guess that i will find out tomorrow whether it helped or not, but it can't really be any worse. I could hear the howling over the radio and the rain.

good luck with the windows... i dont know a single trim tech in my shop that can fix that noise properly.... they forever come back! the first fat kid to rest his head on the window in the rear... its all over from there!!!

I have seen 1 truck and a bunch of ESCALADES with front diff noises.I have inspected and torn down several and all but 1 was chewed up inside to the point where it was authorized to replace the whole unit instead of rebuilding it.The 1 that got rebuilt was ok...had to put in a pinion bearing and race and a seal,caught it at a 7500 mile service when checking the fluid-no customer complaint about noise ,just shavings in the fluid.

Every one that I have seen come in where the customer concern was noise in front required replacing the front differential(15 to date)in 19 mos time.

The SSS and ESCALADE have the same design front differential but different ring and pinion gears-The SSS has 4.10's.

Seems that by the time Joe Average Consumer hears the noise,its too late to save it.

Now us Gearheads hear stuff sooner and pay attention to the workings of our rides more than the phone or vanity mirror.

Archived