Front end grawl

To this date,I have not had any of them come back with any more noise concerns.The best I can determine,the issue was fixed in production.Almost all of the ones I have dealt with were 03's-had 1 early 04 truck...must have been leftover 03 diff??? :confused:

To this date,I have not had any of them come back with any more noise concerns.The best I can determine,the issue was fixed in production.Almost all of the ones I have dealt with were 03's-had 1 early 04 truck...must have been leftover 03 diff??? :confused:

Thanks for the info R96IMP. One final question - in your experience, those that have a noticeable noise, but after checking, dealer finds no shavings, do these necessarily progress to the point that the diff must be replaced?

I can certainly live with it as it is now, but if it gets worse, I'll be taking it in.

:thumbs: Just got my truck back from the shop yesterday and they seem to have somewhat fixed everything. They said they replaced the pinion bearing, race and seal, flushed out the diff., and put new fluid in. They told me the bearing was all pitted up but the service rep didn't know much else. They replace the entire rear windows and seals (hopefully they last longer than the first ones). Had also taken it in for a slamming when you let off off the gas after cruising at 45 or so after truck has been sitting for 4 or 5 hours. Of course, they were "unable to duplicate at this time"; I doubt that they even tried. Curious to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Yeah, I just noticed the elevated gear noise last week as I was working in front of my house and when my wife was driving the SSS towards the house. As she revved the engine driving straight, the gear noise was noticeably higher. I usually have the a/c and tunes on and had not noticed it yet. No grinding, just a howl. Thing is I noticed that my gas mileage has dropped about 1/2mpg this past month. This is not a good sign. My truck has 28000 miles.

Rick R

I am posting this because my e-mail did not give me a return site. :confused:

I had an inquiry if I worked at a GM dealer....Yes I do work at a GM dealer that mainly does Chevy and Cadillac trucks.We are near a farming community,so thats the big seller.I am a 21 year auto tech mainly with GM vehicles.

The service mgr you spoke of may not be familiar with AWD vehicles.

The AWD is a FULL TIME engagement of the front differential,where as the 4WD trucks and Tahoe equivalents are on demand,or driver selected engagement.

What this boils down to is the AWD front differential is more likely to have durability issues from wear than the 4WD differential which is in most cases just along for the ride.

The AWD differential is subjected to varying torque loads and a lot of reverse torque which is the result of slowing down in gear.

The ONLY AWD trucks that I am aware of are the ESCALADE and the SSS.(I am not familiar with a GMC equivalentIf it is produced).

• 4 weeks later...

I've got some very unsettling noises coming from the from of my truck. It sounds just like the typical 'turning growl', just now at pretty much any speed and in a straight line.

I changed my front diff fluid a while back (with maybe 15-20K on the clock?), and there were no major shavings or anything to report. Some very-very fine fuzz, but that was to be expected. I'm, now at at-least 42,000 miles.

I didn't notice the noise until I put my stock cam back in this past weekend. (the engine now falls dead silent when I let off the throttle, and it's much quieter at light-cruise).

I'm going to drain the fluid tonight or tomorrow to see what I have going on.

I've got some very unsettling noises coming from the from of my truck.  It sounds just like the typical 'turning growl', just now at pretty much any speed and in a straight line.

I changed my front diff fluid a while back (with maybe 15-20K on the clock?), and there were no major shavings or anything to report.  Some very-very fine fuzz, but that was to be expected.  I'm, now at at-least 42,000 miles.

I didn't notice the noise until I put my stock cam back in this past weekend. (the engine now falls dead silent when I let off the throttle, and it's much quieter at light-cruise).

I'm going to drain the fluid tonight or tomorrow to see what I have going on.

Good luck, Marc_W.

I've had a very minor straight line whine at about 40 mph, that goes away when coasting. Seems these noises are the norm?

Please keep us posted.

I already called my dealer about this. He said hes aware of the problem, and that they will check it next week. The trip to and from San Francisco should make sure there are sufficient grindings in the housing for them to find, soooo...we will see. Of course mine's a 2005 with 3900 miles...

If my dealer wants to make me really happy, he will switch out the whole unit, first time out. Since its also a Caddy dealer, Im sure they know about this w/Escalades.

Im not bummed about it at all---it was from this site that I knew the front diff was a weak link before I bought the truck. If the replacement fails, I will have an aftermarket one put in.

One thing I would like to know is, does the Sierra Denali share this problem with us, since it has awd?

Took mine in today and the dealer said something about the noise coming from the rear when he heard it. I told him that it happens when I turn at low speeds and in a straight line. Said something about the GEARING :dunno: maybe being a problem. Dont know. Either way they said bring it in monday and they will fix it.

Archived