Dirty Engine?

Well, I finished my Radix install this weekend and was shocked when I took off the stock intake manifold. The intake ports on the heads were filthy. A moderate layer of black sludge was evident. Anyone else have this issue? I also noticed a little build up behind the throttle body. I cleaned it all out with a rag and some solvent (and no, nothing fell down the ports). :confused:

I have noticed this before on my old '99 5.3L however not as bad. :shakehead:

These new GenIII motors are good for carbon build up in the intake. :confused: Its no big deal and easy to clean, it will cause some pinging, mine is doing that right now just haven't had time to do and induction service. :thumbs:

Well, I finished my Radix install this weekend and ..

Now that is good news. I assume you kept your other mods... cam, headers, etc... What are you doing for tuning? If you tune it yourself, I can give you some pointers.

... was shocked when I took off the stock intake manifold.  The intake ports on the heads were filthy.

Thats very normal for the PCV system and mileage. On my 99, its was worse because of the EGR thrown in with it. When I put my Radix on, my intake runners weren't too bad, but I've only got 15K miles. As suggested, a catch can will cut down the amount of oil getting into the intake.

Looks like a catch can is in order. I saw a post on them a while back...something to look into. Thank you for the responses :cheers:

Zippy - Yea, passes inspection! I posted a response on the original thread in PCM Tuning. If you go to a mom and pop's garage, expect to have issues. I should have known better when the one mechanic said that he never saw an engine without a distributor :nonod: I ended up taking it to a dealer for inspection.

BigTex - Yea, the Radix install went smooth. I will be running a tune from Wester's for now, however a little tweaking will be in order ;) I would appreciate the pointers when I start to dig into it. As always, thank you for your replies.

I have 32K on the truck so some oil was expected, just not that much...should have took pics :banghead: I will have all the same mods with the exception of the underdrives and the K&N FIPIK. They are:

FAL Fans, SLP Cam and springs, ASM Headders, HF cats, X pipe 2 FM 40 series, 160 stat, Taylor wires, Radix (3.3 to start, have the 2.9 on the shelf), PCM upgrades, Yank TT3000... and more. Going to the track in 2 weeks... :driving:

Looks like a catch can is in order.  I saw a post on them a while back...something to look into.  Thank you for the responses  :cheers:

Zippy - Yea, passes inspection!  I posted a response on the original thread in PCM Tuning.  If you go to a mom and pop's garage, expect to have issues.  I should have known better when the one mechanic said that he never saw an engine without a distributor  :nonod:  I ended up taking it to a dealer for inspection.

BigTex - Yea, the Radix install went smooth.  I will be running a tune from Wester's for now, however a little tweaking will be in order  ;)  I would appreciate the pointers when I start to dig into it.  As always, thank you for your replies. 

I have 32K on the truck so some oil was expected, just not that much...should have took pics  :banghead:  I will have all the same mods with the exception of the underdrives and the K&N FIPIK.  They are:

FAL Fans, SLP Cam and springs, ASM Headders, HF cats, X pipe 2 FM 40 series, 160 stat, Taylor wires, Radix (3.3 to start, have the 2.9 on the shelf), PCM upgrades, Yank TT3000... and more.  Going to the track in 2 weeks... :driving:

You should see some pretty good times wiith those mods.

Archived