80E is in

Everywhere I look, most seem to be upgrading, but that is more on ls1tech than here. I know it is a way better tranny from what I have read, but was curious if you would still have to do servos, shift kit, etc. and what were the costs and time to do it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too fast?  I didn't know those two words could be used together and have meaning.  I mean 'too slow' I understand, and 'two fast' I think was some movie about rice, but 'too fast'?   :dunno:

Yeah. Having "too much power" is kinda like making "too much money." A truck being "too fast" is kinda like a girl being "too pretty." These just aren't logical concepts. :crazy:

I once told my wife that not getting the biggest engine available when buying any vehicle is kinda like breast reduction surgery... I just don't get it... :shakehead:

Sorry moderators - my bad in advance. :seeya:

Kurt, I had just about dismissed this thread because I figured your 80E conversion was using some one-off custom parts that none of us would have access to. Then, when you replied, you said this:

We just had the input gear changed to one with the 80E spline.

Now, is that input gear you used a common part from another NVG case? Is this something we can buy? You've got the part - you have the answer. "Help me obi-wan kenobi, your my only hope"

Richard

just curious, beyond the strength of the 80, its my understanding that it isnt "geared" (literally) toward our useage - ratio weise (im told, and figured), what can be done for this matter?

just curious, beyond the strength of the 80, its my understanding that it isnt "geared" (literally) toward our useage - ratio weise (im told, and figured), what can be done for this matter?

Zippy would know better, but I believe there are different gear sets available...most importantly a lower 1st ratio.

Kurt,  I had just about dismissed this thread because I figured your 80E conversion was using some one-off custom parts that none of us would have access to.  Then, when you replied, you said this:

We just had the input gear changed to one with the 80E spline.

Now, is that input gear you used a common part from another NVG case? Is this something we can buy? You've got the part - you have the answer. "Help me obi-wan kenobi, your my only hope"

Richard

See his answer in an above reply (#9) for his own words, but from what I understood way back when, Kurt's is a special one off part, sounds like W2W will be offering them in the near future.

The part that mates the 80E shaft to the transfercase is special on my truck. I have put in a order for more. If all works out, we will offer this part for sale in the near future.

Waiting patiently to leave starting line at 10psi+............

Kurt

Well...you'd get my vote for "man of the year" if you could make that part available to us. :thumbs: As long as you don't rape us on the price, that is.

the fix for the gearing on the 4L80E is to just use a bit more stall in the converter. this is a situation that the PI converter is almost a must. adding more stall and a heavy vehicle. you need the best torque converter clutch you can get. the only other downside to the gearing is a loss of 5% in overdrive.

The gear ratio's are different. This may hurt some trucks more than others. There is a gear set with a 3.05 first, but the availability is low as its a special part for testing.

My thought is if you need this trans, you can probably pull the ratio. I will be running my truck this summer to verify the ET's it can hit. It will run 12.2x's with a 5psi max launch with 0 timing on the shift with 65E. I will also hit the chassis roll to see what power is lost with the 80. My truck is very consistent in the 45Xhp at the wheels mark.

Kurt

The gear ratio's are different. This may hurt some trucks more than others. There is a gear set with a 3.05 first, but the availability is low as its a special part for testing.

My thought is if you need this trans, you can probably pull the ratio. I will be running my truck this summer to verify the ET's it can hit. It will run 12.2x's with a 5psi max launch with 0 timing on the shift with 65E. I will also hit the chassis roll to see what power is lost with the 80. My truck is very consistent in the 45Xhp at the wheels mark.

It will be interesting to see any extra drivetrain loss due to the '80. I know that is one of Zippy's big concerns.

I guess with the higher first and lower o/d the ratios are generally closer on the '80. That could also have an impact on E.T. assuming you use a big enough stall to overcome the first gear disadvantage. Personally for the street I would prefer the different gear set. I wouldn't want to get sloppy on the stall trying to cure everything via the converter.

This is going to be a really interesting experiment for all of us to follow. Thanks for keeping us posted. :D

Archived