new sunroof

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If gas wasn't so expensive these days, you could drive the SS next time you come to FL and really enjoy the sunroof then!  Looks good John!  :D  :thumbs:

Thanks James. I got the truck back on sat and the roof works great. The installer said that he used my idea of bonding a piece of 3/16 steel to the inner roof area for support. He made a support that reached from left to right inner roof edges, bonded the support with 3m 2 part structural adhesive to the inner roof. The support was installed between the sunroof rear bonding flange and the back window. For the most part that flimsy roof is gone. You actually have to push on the roof to get it to move now. I was surprised how well it worked. He also said bonding a fiberglass blanket strips to the roof would also work well.

Hope to come back down your way this year. Hopefully we can get together again.

:seeya:

Boy I'm glad I ordered my '05 with a sunroof already installed! Looks good though. First vehicle I ever owned with one! Good choice. :thumbs:

Is your sunroof a tilt model only or does it also slide back into the roof? Does yours have the overhead console. I havent seen a silverado with a factory unit yet. My wifes tahoe did not have a sunroof and the overhead console is differant from one that does have a sunroof.

Boy I'm glad I ordered my '05 with a sunroof already installed! Looks good though. First vehicle I ever owned with one! Good choice. :thumbs:

Is your sunroof a tilt model only or does it also slide back into the roof? Does yours have the overhead console. I havent seen a silverado with a factory unit yet. My wifes tahoe did not have a sunroof and the overhead console is differant from one that does have a sunroof.

I just took some pics of my factory sunroof, can someone show me how to post pics?? :confused:

I just took some pics of my factory sunroof, can someone show me how to post pics?? :confused:

Here's some pics of the factory sunroof :driving:

sunroof

sunroof

sunroof

sunroof

Man, what's the deal with that sunroof??? Is that the factory option?????? :puke:

Couple things that I noticed:

1. Why is the sunshade backwards in pic #1? You have to pull it towards the rear of the truck to block the sun out???? Then in pic #3, it looks like it slides towards the front like it should. :puke:

2. The way it opens looks like straight @$$ from the outside! It actually slides outside of the roof??? :puke:

3. The placement of the control switch sticks out like a sore thumb. Who came up with that brilliant idea of mounting it on the side of the map light console? :puke:

I'm not trying to be an @$$, but man who did that for you? I hope that's not the dealer option. Seeing yours makes me glad I had ASC do mine.

All that really matters is if you like it though. :D

Late- Alex

Man, what's the deal with that sunroof??? Is that the factory option??????  :puke:

3. The placement of the control switch sticks out like a sore thumb. Who came up with that brilliant idea of mounting it on the side of the map light console?  :puke:

Late-  Alex

That is not the control switch, that is the temperature sensor for the a/c/heater. The switch is in the middle of the lights.

that is weird how does the slider work? it looks like the handle would get in the way when you slide it back the other direction, the aftermarket roof looks bigger too, i think i actually like the after market one

The console is the same as the other sunroof equipt trucks and suvs from gm. I was going to install that console in mine till I found out how much it was. $400-$500. I also would bet that the sunroof being a tilt only is due to that brace that was removed from mine. It is a shame that there is no real braceing in our roofs. As you can see in my earlier pics with only the 2 braces and a small amount of foam, the roof has no support.

I have the Webasto 790 series in mine. So far I am very happy with it. The ASC version is very similar. The company that installed mine is still an ASC dealer. I will try to get the rest of the pics later today. Here is a link to Webasto.

http://www.open-air-feeling.com/v_products/pr_holl700_en.php

Man, what's the deal with that sunroof??? Is that the factory option??????  :puke:

3. The placement of the control switch sticks out like a sore thumb. Who came up with that brilliant idea of mounting it on the side of the map light console?  :puke:

Late-  Alex

That is not the control switch, that is the temperature sensor for the a/c/heater. The switch is in the middle of the lights.

Got it! :thumbs:

That seems kind of odd to have it in such an obvious place. That's the way it was when you recieved the truck?

Late- Alex

Archived