new sunroof

Man, what's the deal with that sunroof??? Is that the factory option??????  :puke:

Couple things that I noticed:

1. Why is the sunshade backwards in pic #1? You have to pull it towards the rear of the truck to block the sun out???? Then in pic #3, it looks like it slides towards the front like it should. :puke: The sunshade pulls forward not backwards

2. The way it opens looks like straight @$$ from the outside! It actually slides outside of the roof???  :puke: Yes it does slide outside the roof

3. The placement of the control switch sticks out like a sore thumb. Who came up with that brilliant idea of mounting it on the side of the map light console?  :puke: The switch is right in the middle not on the side.

I'm not trying to be an @$$, but man who did that for you? I hope that's not the dealer option. Seeing yours makes me glad I had ASC do mine. Yes that is the dealer option dude.

All that really matters is if you like it though.  :D It's all good. It does it's job!!

Late-  Alex

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1st pic is showing the sun shade closed with the glass open. A lot of the new sunroofs have a screen like cover on the inside so you can open the glass and close the inside part to still let in the air. I personally dont like them, I like the solid cover like most have.

That is not the control switch, that is the temperature sensor for the a/c/heater. The switch is in the middle of the lights.

Got it! :thumbs:

That seems kind of odd to have it in such an obvious place. That's the way it was when you recieved the truck?

Late- Alex

yep, that is stock.

That looks like the one I saw at the LA Auto show-what pretty much set in my mind to get a SS with a sunroof. But Im totally glad I got the ASC. It's more conventional, and seems bigger. However I admit the glass going up out of the sunroof instead of into the headliner is good for this design. Because of the angle of our top, you can't have it all the way open without starting a hurricane in the back seat at speed. My fix for that is one of those ridiculous plastic deflectors, and also driving the with the front windows open just about 5-7 mm, or with the rear 1/4 windows open.

What I do like about the factory ones is the double sun shade, the trim around the edge of the opening, and the fact that you dont lose near as much headroom in the rear.

Nice truck! (including the color) :)

I personally don't like the spoiler type roof but I think the silver SS trucks look great. I wish they had that color option when I was getting my truck in the 1st place. My LT was silver and it looked great in the sun. If StealthSS or Texasdvldog have any more pics of their trucks please post them. To me they are a welcome addition to the SS family. :thumbs::chevy:

Hey Texas.....Hows that camaro rs/ss project comming? Got 2 newer TAs myself. :driving:

I personally don't like the spoiler type roof but I think the silver SS trucks look great. I wish they had that color option when I was getting my truck in the 1st place. My LT was silver and it looked great in the sun.  If StealthSS or Texasdvldog have any more pics of their trucks please post them. To me they are a welcome addition to the SS family. :thumbs:  :chevy:

Hey Texas.....Hows that camaro rs/ss project comming? Got 2 newer TAs myself. :driving:

You know I didn't even bother looking at what the sunroof looked like in the open position (from the outside) when I bought the truck. I was just excited I found one with that option! I would have rathered it went inside the roof but oh well.

The Camaro is coming around real nice! I hope to have it done before summer is over (crossing fingers)

I'll have to get some pics of the truck as soon as it stops raining! :mad:

I know what you mean about the rain. Here are some additional pics of the sunroof. As you can see the roof comes as a self contained assembly. With a drain tube in each corner there is nowhere for water to lay as long as you keep the drain tubes clear.

The motor and drive units are mounted outside the pan that houses the opening, glass and tracks. The glass is quite a bit larger than the opening in the pan so the water can't go anywhere but in the pan. The outside perimiter of the pan opening where the glass rests is where the 2 part structural adhesive bonds the pan assembly to the roof. Any water entering the roof at the glass has to fall to the pan.

I was not sure where I wanted the switch but I decided on left side of the console for now. I may relocate it in the future. It is mostly visable from the drivers seat but non existant from anywhere else.

I hope this info helps anyone who is interested in getting a sunroof feel more comfortable about the type of units Webasto and Asc provide. Research your installer and look at their installs. If they open their doors to you and if they allow you to watch an installation I would feel they are a good company with nothing to hide.

569946_62_full.jpg

569946_63_full.jpg

569946_64_full.jpg

569946_67_full.jpg

569946_68_full.jpg

569946_65_full.jpg

569946_66_full.jpg

I like the looks of that !!! Good choice of product and installer(s).

I need to do some research and find an installer somewhere near Wyoming ... wish me luck.

I like the looks of that !!!   Good choice of product and installer(s).

I need to do some research and find an installer somewhere near Wyoming ... wish me luck.

Hows this. :D

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/locator/Wyoming.html

As for anyone else who is looking find your area here.

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/locator/Locator_Main.html

Archived