Pics: what all the crying's been about

OK, I've got the entire drivetrain out of the SS, it took all day and night but wasn't all that bad except for the exhaust collector nuts, plus I lost a bit of skin dropping the transmission (but I was expecting that :D ).

For those installing aftermarket servos - don't let this happen to you!

2nd_piston_illus.gif

2nd_piston.jpg

The 2nd apply piston is cocked in the bore, the bottom is kicked-in and the top kicked-out about 3/32-inch. When assembling the servos I got the cover snap ring to seat at the bottom, but did not realize I failed to completely seat it at the top; when the servo shifted the truck into 2nd gear the hydraulic pressure was able to rock the piston off-axis in its bore. BTW, the truck still drove, the only symptom suggesting there was a problem was that I lost 4th gear, the scarf seal on the 4th piston failed because it was also off-axis.

I tried for two weeks to get this piston out, I even made a puller to get it out and, well, long story short it will *not* budge and the tranny had to be dropped out of the truck for service. With luck the case is still salvageable...

So the plan is: since the trans is out, I am delivering it to Joe and Sheri Gutierrez [sp?] (JAG Performance) with orders to harden it for low 12-sec duty. Joe also suggested a 2800-stall convertor from The Convertor Shop (TCS).

Mr. P. :)

wow :eek: I just purchased a zippy shift kit with servos. I think I'm a little worried about doing the install of the servos now. Should I take it to a shop to have the work done or still do it myself? I'm a rookie on doing mods. :banghead:

glad tp see you have the trans out. can't wait to see the truck

once everything is ready to go.

Thanks. I was going to just fix-up the servo and put it all back together, but decided what the hell go for broke and get new internals while the case is out.

Looks like mine did the same thing, going to get it towed to the shop tomorrow.

Man that is a pisser. Sorry to hear about that, maybe by just dropping the passenger-side exhaust they might have enough room to get in there and get it out, without R&R-ing the trans...

Mr. P.

wow  :eek:  I just purchased a zippy shift kit with servos. I think I'm a little worried about doing the install of the servos now. Should I take it to a shop to have the work done or still do it myself? I'm a rookie on doing mods.  :banghead:

Installing a shift kit is not *that* hard - a little "involved" maybe but I would not discourage anyone from doing it. Modifying the valve body was pretty straightforward (I used the Transgo kit). Just make ABSOLUTELY sure that when you put the servos back in their bore that they are in there squarely, and that when you compress the outer cover to install the retainer ring you apply pressure evenly/squarely. I used a breaker-bar against the tranny tunnel to fight the cover on, and because of the geometry involved I did not compress the outer cover squarely into its bore. Be sure to apply pressure to the CENTER of the cover, not its edge, and make sure the retainer ring seats COMPLETELY around the cover.

wow  :eek:  I just purchased a zippy shift kit with servos. I think I'm a little worried about doing the install of the servos now. Should I take it to a shop to have the work done or still do it myself? I'm a rookie on doing mods.  :banghead:

Installing a shift kit is not *that* hard - a little "involved" maybe but I would not discourage anyone from doing it. Modifying the valve body was pretty straightforward (I used the Transgo kit). Just make ABSOLUTELY sure that when you put the servos back in their bore that they are in there squarely, and that when you compress the outer cover to install the retainer ring you apply pressure evenly/squarely. I used a breaker-bar against the tranny tunnel to fight the cover on, and because of the geometry involved I did not compress the outer cover squarely into its bore. Be sure to apply pressure to the CENTER of the cover, not its edge, and make sure the retainer ring seats COMPLETELY around the cover.

Mr. P: What tools will I need to complete the install? sounds like the servos will be the hardest part. I've seen some stuff on tv showing the trans part of the shift kit install and that didn't seem to hard, hopefully it will all go well. I'm using the zippy shift kit so I should have less parts to install than you did.

Mr. P: What tools will I need to complete the install? sounds like the servos will be the hardest part. I've seen some stuff on tv showing the trans part of the shift kit install and that didn't seem to hard, hopefully it will all go well. I'm using the zippy shift kit so I should have less parts to install than you did.

No, no - the servos are not hard to do, just requires precision and knowing exactly what you are looking for when you double-check things and button it all back up.

Tools - Jack and stands (or ramps), several metric wrenches and sockets, a couple screwdrivers, your favorite "leverage tool" (very long screwdriver, prybar, or ???), a torx wrench or bit (I forget the size, for shift cable bracket), and a small torque wrench for reassembly (because I am prone to being a wrench gorilla). And lots of rags. :D

Valve body tools - in the transgo kit, they instruct you how to (optionally) modify the main valve and this requires either a good file or stationary grinder. Also, if you are drilling the separator plate, you will need some precision drill bits but those are usually included in the kit.

No, no - the servos are not hard to do, just requires precision and knowing exactly what you are looking for when you double-check things and button it all back up.

Tools - Jack and stands (or ramps), several metric wrenches and sockets, a couple screwdrivers, your favorite "leverage tool" (very long screwdriver, prybar, or ???), a torx wrench or bit (I forget the size, for shift cable bracket), and a small torque wrench for reassembly (because I am prone to being a wrench gorilla). And lots of rags. :D

Valve body tools - in the transgo kit, they instruct you how to (optionally) modify the main valve and this requires either a good file or stationary grinder. Also, if you are drilling the separator plate, you will need some precision drill bits but those are usually included in the kit.

Got the zippy shift kit today. Wife was like what's that :devil: . I'll probably attempt the install next weekend.

Archived