what are -AN sizes

vtodd82

iam in need of high temp tranny fluid hoses, and all i see on summit are 8 -AN , 10 -AN, etc etc.

on the B and M cooler i have now, i use the 3/8 inch rubber hosing, but summits 3/8s inch hosing is not what iam looking for.

what exactly is the measurment of an -AN.

thanks in advance

todd

iam in need of high temp tranny fluid hoses, and all i see on summit are 8 -AN , 10 -AN, etc etc.

on the B and M cooler i have now, i use the 3/8 inch rubber hosing, but summits 3/8s inch hosing is not what iam looking for.

what exactly is the measurment of an -AN.

thanks in advance

todd

Don't quote me on this but from what I remember

-3 is 3/16", -4 is 1/4", -6 is 3/8", -8 is 1/2", -10 is 5/8"

Can anyone else confirm this?

AN = "Army/Navy", fittings employ a 37-degree flare seat (as opposed to hardware store SAE flare seat which is 45-degrees and not compatible). Hose diameter is sized in 1/16-inch increments, a #4AN hose (or tubing) has a 1/4-inch diameter, #6AN is 3/8-inch, #8AN is 1/2-inch, etc. Fittings and hoses are designed for extreme pressure and/or severe duty and are extensively used in aircraft industry and high-end automotive applications.

And they're darned pretty!

Mr. P. :)

edit - I got the flare seat angles wrong the first time!

AN = "Army/Navy", fittings employ a 45-degree flare seat (as opposed to hardware store SAE flare seat which is 30-degrees and not compatible).  Hose diameter is sized in 1/16-inch increments, a #4AN hose (or tubing) has a 1/4-inch diameter, #6AN is 3/8-inch, #8AN is 1/2-inch, etc.  Fittings and hoses are designed for extreme pressure and/or severe duty and are extensively used in aircraft industry and high-end automotive applications.

And they're darned pretty!

Mr. P. :)

thank ya misterp :thumbs:

Archived