heads to lower compression??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it all depends on what you want to do with your setup.

If you plan on getting heads anyway and plan to keep your motor boosted, then if the company doing the head can increase the chamber size, then I would say do it.

I guess it is symantics. I would not buy heads "specifically" to lower my compression. I would be buying heads to make more power. If in the process I can lower my CR by getting like a 77cc chamber, then that is what I'd do. The problem doing it that way is about the best you'll get is about 9.5-9.6:1. Better than 10:1.

You can run up to 12psi as long as the tune is safe on the stock CR. Anything more than that, and I think you want forged internals anyway.

So, having said that, I agree with Ben. If you want better heads anyway, go ahead and get them with larger chambers. If you want heads just for lower compression, I'd say spend that money (well a lot less) at the dyno and get an awesome tune.

With that in mind, you don't really need to lower your compression.  Make sure you have a good intercooling solution, and a really good tune.

Send the extra $$ to me  :devil:

:withstupid:

some have ran as much as 12psi through the stock 10.0:1 compression. you'll be fine.

even with the smaller pulley most likely i will not see 10psi of boost because of my headers and cam.

I am going to start out with the 4" pulley and maybe go as small as the 3.7"

even with the smaller pulley most likely i will not see 10psi of boost because of my headers and cam.

I am going to start out with the 4" pulley and maybe go as small as the 3.7"

I saw zero loss of boost levels with the addition of long tube headers.

with the P-1SC on the L31 and 3.4 pulley i was only seeing 11-12 psi. i'm not sure how much a 4.0 pulley will get you on the LQ9. it was only 8-9 psi with the stock procharger b.o.v.. the stock procharger valve was a constant leaker. switching to the RFL b.o.v. sealed the system off and picked up some boost.

69489652.jpg

69489633.jpg

Archived