Suggestions for a tuning newbie???

misterp

Hi all, I am seriously interested in PCM tuning and wanted to hear everyone's input on the software available today. I have not done anything like this before but am eager to dive in, I just don't know exactly what is needed or where to start. I am a life-long software developer, so the electronics and logic part of this project do not scare me; "easy to use" is not an overriding concern. Cost is also secondary. What is important to me is having a package that can grow as I later tackle the challenges that come with forced induction. WAHAHAHAHA :driving:

So would anyone here suggest the better or weaker players in this market? HPTuners, Carputing, EFILive... What has or hasn't worked for you in your projects? Also before I go down the endless Google road any good resources available out there?

Thanks in advance,

Mr. P. :)

I'd say HPT (what I have) or EFILive (looked at the demo). Both seem much better than Edit to me (another lifelong hacker). HPT has some design issues, but they are workable... Mainly just frustrating, "Do it my way" GUI design and some IO stuff.

EFILIve looked very impressive and had I not already had HPT and if it was closer to the HPT price, I'd have most likely gotten it instead.

I'd say HPT (what I have) or EFILive (looked at the demo).  Both seem much better than Edit to me (another lifelong hacker).  HPT has some design issues, but they are workable... Mainly just frustrating, "Do it my way" GUI design and some IO stuff.

EFILIve looked very impressive and had I not already had HPT and if it was closer to the HPT price, I'd have most likely gotten it instead.

:thumbs: (Thanks for the review)

at this point i'd have to recomend HP Tuners. i haven't tried EFI Live yet though. that will be shortly. i'd recomend HP Tuners and a wideband. either handheld or an in car gauge.

Yeah HPTuners appears to have a solid product; I got lost in HPTuners forums until 3am this morning :D But I still want to dig in to EFILive and see what that's all about. I can see why the sharper tuners are using Excel quite a bit, that shows how immature the software in this market is.

Yeah HPTuners appears to have a solid product; I got lost in HPTuners forums until 3am this morning  :D  But I still want to dig in to EFILive and see what that's all about.  I can see why the sharper tuners are using Excel quite a bit, that shows how immature the software in this market is.

Just do what I did...buy EFILive and a new laptop and just let it sit lol. I've been too busy with house projects to take time to learn the software. I'm glad my tax people said I can write it off. Hopefully more master jedi type tuners will make the switch to the dark side(EFILive). :crackup: and they can teach me or write some article on it. I've only found articles written for HPTuners so far. Good luck :cheers:

Just do what I did...buy EFILive and a new laptop and just let it sit lol. I've been too busy with house projects to take time to learn the software. I'm glad my tax people said I can write it off. Hopefully more master jedi type tuners will make the switch to the dark side(EFILive).   :crackup: and they can teach me or write some article on it. I've only found articles written for HPTuners so far. Good luck  :cheers:

:crackup: Now you KNOW, everyone else calls my SS "Darth Vader", so I just might have to do exactly that! Do you think the package was complete, it came with everything you need?

Edit - and the $7000 price for a shop license did not escape me YIKES. :eek:

i have a brand new efilive flashscan and tune for 650 shipped to your door. :) Efilive is the best so far. Layout, customer service, ect.. Custom operating systems are getting pretty cool too, Free 1bar, 2 bar and 3 bar operating systems for blower cars, Manual valvebody transmission modes, ect.. And it only gets better each update they do..

Updates are often and bugfixes are even faster. [email protected] if you want that extra cable. :D

i have a brand new efilive flashscan and tune for 650 shipped to your door.  :)  Efilive is the best so far.  Layout,  customer service,  ect..  Custom operating systems are getting pretty cool too,  Free 1bar, 2 bar and 3 bar operating systems for blower cars,  Manual valvebody transmission modes,  ect..  And it only gets better each update they do..   

Updates are often and bugfixes are even faster.    [email protected] if you want that extra cable.  :D

Yeah I've pretty much decided that when I do it I will go EFILive. I have completely overspent my SS budget so I'm not in the market now; but I'll contact you in a few months and see if you still have it for sale.

Archived