Pulled over last night!!

fast4popper

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm generally not one to bitch but here is a story I have to tell you all and let me know what you think.

My wife and I were on the way home from the hardware store tonight and I figured I would show her the house boat that I just finished wiring for Home theater install (nice boat). it was out of our way but we were rid of the kid for the weekend and had nothing better to do. ON our way home from the boat we took a few back roads to enjoy the scenery, when I looked behind me there were the lights of an unmarked Iowa state trooper. I pulled over as I should and was more than polite to him, I mean why piss him off right.? any way he proceeded to look at my truck and told me that he pulled me over for window tint. At this time he was reaching his hand into my truck and proceeding to try and fell the window tint on the windshield, I have (had) the whole windshield tinted with 35% film. he themn asked for insurance and such and then asked if I have ever been pulled over for tint before. I told him yes in my other car, his responce was "well you wont be driving this one any further tonight"  At this time he went back to his car and wrote me a ticket which started to take forever. about 45 minutes later a flatbed pulls up and backs in front of the SS. the cop finally came up and I asked what he was doing, he told me that the truck was unsave to drive and that he was impounding it.  I told him he wasnt and if he did he could make my payment this month. he then proceeded to have me sign my ticket and told me how to get it out of impound. at this time I was talkign to the tow truck driver and my wife was asking the cop how to get the truck out on Monday morning. the cop did not have an answer. all he said was the windshield tint has to come off before you can drive it. as this time I caught the end of it and reached into the truck with my finger nail and peeled the tint off with one pull. I looked at him and said "is it safe to drive now?" he said yes you can drive it now but you have to pay the towtruck driver. I cant blame the towtruck guy so I paid him and right in front of the cop gave him a tip and told him to go and have a few beers "on me" tonight. I then went to the back of the truck and proceeded to load the stuff that i had taken out because I wanted to continue the remodels to the house that I was doing and I had supplies and tools that I had taken out and put on the ground. the cop then proceeded to ask me if my tonno cover was water tight. I told him " I dont F--ing know I dont sleep back there" and then asked him if I could leave and he said yes.

I have a court date on the 23rd of june that I will be at, with a lawyer, I will get my tow truck fees back and also will get this "un safe equipt ticket" reduced to a tint ticket.

Does anyone have any insight on this?  is window tint a impoundable ticket??

this cop in my opinion was throwing hiw authoriity around, mind you I was nice till I saw that tow truck show up. then I went nuts! also I am not a punk kid, I am 32 years old and did not deserve this BS!

what do you all think? sorry for the typoes!

Check your states laws, my state law reads this:

Any vehicle operating upon the public highways of this state and at any time found to be defective in equipment in such a manner that it may be considered unsafe shall be an unlawful vehicle and may be prevented from further operation until such equipment defect is corrected and any peace officer is empowered to impound such vehicle until the same has been placed in a condition satisfactory to vehicle inspection. The necessary cost of impounding any such unlawful vehicle and any cost for the storage and keeping thereof shall be paid by the owner thereof. The impounding of any such vehicle shall be in addition to any penalties for such unlawful operation.

He must have been in a bad mood( didn't get to eat enough doughnuts :D ). In Fl the rear windows can be as drak as you want but the drivers door and pass door windows can't be any darker than 35%. My fisrt 2 Silverado's were 5% all the way around w/the strip across te front. My last Silverado before the SS was 5% all the wy around w/the strip across the front and the rest of the front window was 35%. got stopped twice and was told to take it off. I would get hell from my old man everytime he would get in my truck (he was a cop in Miami). My SS, I just tinted the 2 front door windows to match the rear, got tired of listening to my dad bitch besides where I live know they like to hassle you more.

Techincally he could tow your truck because it is considered unsafe but most cops dont want be bothered with the paper work and tell you take it off.

I got a window tint ticket once. All I did was went to my eye doctor and he wrote that I was photophobic and needed to have tinted windows in all my vehicles. I fought the ticket and won. If you are nice to your eye doctor I am sure you will win and no longer be hasseled. If I get pulled over I just need to show them the paper work.:) Sometimes it feels good to beat the system.

Brandon

I'm generally not one to bitch but here is a story I have to tell you all and let me know what you think.

My wife and I were on the way home from the hardware store tonight and I figured I would show her the house boat that I just finished wiring for Home theater install (nice boat). it was out of our way but we were rid of the kid for the weekend and had nothing better to do. ON our way home from the boat we took a few back roads to enjoy the scenery, when I looked behind me there were the lights of an unmarked Iowa state trooper. I pulled over as I should and was more than polite to him, I mean why piss him off right.? any way he proceeded to look at my truck and told me that he pulled me over for window tint. At this time he was reaching his hand into my truck and proceeding to try and fell the window tint on the windshield, I have (had) the whole windshield tinted with 35% film. he themn asked for insurance and such and then asked if I have ever been pulled over for tint before. I told him yes in my other car, his responce was "well you wont be driving this one any further tonight"  At this time he went back to his car and wrote me a ticket which started to take forever. about 45 minutes later a flatbed pulls up and backs in front of the SS. the cop finally came up and I asked what he was doing, he told me that the truck was unsave to drive and that he was impounding it.  I told him he wasnt and if he did he could make my payment this month. he then proceeded to have me sign my ticket and told me how to get it out of impound. at this time I was talkign to the tow truck driver and my wife was asking the cop how to get the truck out on Monday morning. the cop did not have an answer. all he said was the windshield tint has to come off before you can drive it. as this time I caught the end of it and reached into the truck with my finger nail and peeled the tint off with one pull. I looked at him and said "is it safe to drive now?" he said yes you can drive it now but you have to pay the towtruck driver. I cant blame the towtruck guy so I paid him and right in front of the cop gave him a tip and told him to go and have a few beers "on me" tonight. I then went to the back of the truck and proceeded to load the stuff that i had taken out because I wanted to continue the remodels to the house that I was doing and I had supplies and tools that I had taken out and put on the ground. the cop then proceeded to ask me if my tonno cover was water tight. I told him " I dont F--ing know I dont sleep back there" and then asked him if I could leave and he said yes.

I have a court date on the 23rd of june that I will be at, with a lawyer, I will get my tow truck fees back and also will get this "un safe equipt ticket" reduced to a tint ticket.

Does anyone have any insight on this?  is window tint a impoundable ticket??

this cop in my opinion was throwing hiw authoriity around, mind you I was nice till I saw that tow truck show up. then I went nuts! also I am not a punk kid, I am 32 years old and did not deserve this BS!

what do you all think? sorry for the typoes!

Check your states laws, my state law reads this:

Any vehicle operating upon the public highways of this state and at any time found to be defective in equipment in such a manner that it may be considered unsafe shall be an unlawful vehicle and may be prevented from further operation until such equipment defect is corrected and any peace officer is empowered to impound such vehicle until the same has been placed in a condition satisfactory to vehicle inspection. The necessary cost of impounding any such unlawful vehicle and any cost for the storage and keeping thereof shall be paid by the owner thereof. The impounding of any such vehicle shall be in addition to any penalties for such unlawful operation.

And as a New Orleans Police Officer, I'd have to second that!! Way to go ray!! :withstupid:

Well I went up to the DMV and the woman was suprised to find out that they had that type of form. I took it to my doctor and he said he had nothing to write down for a medical reason. Even though I have had an astigmatism up until I came to this doctor :dunno: He says that I didnt have one when I started coming to his office. I guess I will just get another doctor I know to sign it.

Do yall think I should get it notarized? I dont have a clue

after reading this i looked in my files for a link i had on window tinting by state , but i can't find it :banghead::banghead:

i belive i copyed it from here over 1 1/2 yrs.ago maybe some one can find it.

as for paying for the tow truck, thats :icon_bs: i tow for a living and if we get called out by the PD. and we are not used or the driver dose not need us, we list that as a refused service and we do not charge the people anything, we just go back on rotation for the next call.

good luck in court.. also ask about having to pay for the tow :D

:seeya:

Archived