Opinions on synthetic oil

Not sure if this belongs in here, but seemed like as good a place as any. I'm thinking of making the switch to synthetic oil. I've been using Castrol conventional for years, and have been very happy with it. I know Mobil 1 is the oldest of the synthetics, but is it the best? Or is there really a difference between synthetics? Is there that much of a difference over conventional, beit performance, longevity, gas milage, whatever.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I get it straight from their site. I buy enough about every two years to justify the cost of being a preferred customer which cost $20 a year. Once you have that, you get it all at dealer cost.

I get Amsoil for:

Wife's car (tranny fluid, engine oil, engine oil filter)

My 2nd car (tranny fluid, engine oil, engine oil filter)

My truck (engine oil, engine oil filter)

weedeater

generator

lawn mower

I usually buy it all at once. So it more than offsets the cost of the preferred cust. cost. In the long run, much cheaper than Mobil 1.

Amsoil rated the best in all the tests.  FWIW, I also think they created the first synthetic oil.

I wouldn't use anything else.

It may be. I just remember seeing commercials for Mobil 1 in the late 70s early 80s.

I was told (by Roger Vinci) that the mobil one formula is an AMS oil formula...

My stepfather has a 00 Z71 with a 5.3 and has close to 200k and has been using Valvoline synthetic from day one, the truck runs flawless does not use any oil does not have any oil leaks and does not make any noise ( he does drive it hard). I prefer Mobil 1 I use it in my vehicles and have had no trouble. Not sure when Amsoil came out but Mobil was the first to market it for passenger cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Amsoil rated the best in all the tests.  FWIW, I also think they created the first synthetic oil.

I wouldn't use anything else.

Bens right Amsoil was the first to create synthetic oil. I also use it in everything I have with a gas motor. It save you money because you dont have to change it every 3000 miles it more like once a year and a oil filter every 6 months. Depending on the formula you use it good for 25000 miles or one year.

Archived