Anyone know what this sensor is?

misterp

i think it is the temp on your rear view mirror, i just put mine in a hole that was bellow it on the bumper. i also took out that black rubber piece that goes across the front below the radiator.

yea, thats the ambient temperature sensor according to my service manual. i had to relocate mine as well for the large tranny cooler. just drill a hole somewhere nearby and snap it in there, so its somewhat in a factory position. mine still works fine.

todd

Looks like somebody is doing a transmission cooler upgrade :D I am still trying to get some fittings, so I can do mine (3/8 inverted flare to 1/2 male pipe thread seems to be a rare beast). What cooler are you putting in?

Looks like somebody is doing a transmission cooler upgrade :D  I am still trying to get some fittings, so I can do mine (3/8 inverted flare to 1/2 male pipe thread seems to be a rare beast). 

Dave,

Did you try Grainger for your fittings?

Grainger web site

They usually have all the fittings that I need and they ship in like 1 day. :thumbs:

McMaster-Carr has all the impossible fittings.

McMaster-Carr website

Looks like somebody is doing a transmission cooler upgrade :D  I am still trying to get some fittings, so I can do mine (3/8 inverted flare to 1/2 male pipe thread seems to be a rare beast).  What cooler are you putting in?

If you still can't find what you need, give Rubber Specialties a call, (850) 478-9778. Not sure if they ship or not. If they don't but have what you need, I can go by and pick up for you.

Looks like somebody is doing a transmission cooler upgrade :D  I am still trying to get some fittings, so I can do mine (3/8 inverted flare to 1/2 male pipe thread seems to be a rare beast).  What cooler are you putting in?

Yup this was last Saturday's project, mounting a TruCool Max transmission cooler, recommended by Joe Guttierez (JAG Performance):

TruCool1.jpg

TruCool2.jpg

This core is definitely Texas-sized, almost two-feet across, 1-foot high, and 1-1/4-inch thick. Eyeballing it I am guessing it holds four to five times the fluid of the OEM one. The core is awesome, truly first rate. The rest of the kit is not 'Mr. Manly approved', had four plumber's straps, sheet metal screws, and 1/4-inch bolts/nuts for mounting. :ughdance: I was seriously turned-off by the plumbing provided, in the box was two 2-foot lengths of hydraulic hose and a handfull of various fittings :puke:

I went to the local hardware store and bought a four-foot piece of 1x1 angle aluminum ($4), four 10mm speed nuts (80-cents), longer 10mm bolts ($1), and two 1/4-inch plastic friction retainers (like what hold your hood liner to the underside of your hood, but smaller, 40-cents). In my scrap parts bin I found a length of shitter 3/8-inch steel fuel line from an old derby car and cut four 1-1/8-inch lengths to use as spacers (standoffs).

I drilled the existing lower cross-support and mounted the bottom of the core (using the longer bolts, spacers, and speed nuts). I then cut about a 23-inch length of angle aluminum and attached it to the core at its top (again with longer bolts, spacers, speed nuts). Last step was to drill two 1/4-inch holes through the new upper bracket into the original square tubing supporting the hood latch and use the plastic push retainers to attach the upper bracket.

The core is in there ROCK SOLID for under $7 while adding no more than a couple ounces. The core, brackets, and hardware originally were BRIGHT silver/aluminum color and I did not want that gleaming from behind the installed grill so I sprayed everything with a coat of black wood stove paint I had in my garage. Perfect. :thumbs:

Plumbing: the fittings on this core are 3/8-inch inverted flare :thumbs: so it was easy to go to the auto part store and buy a couple ready-made 2-foot lengths of fuel line ($7) and then cut/bend to suit. I was going to pay to have the new hardlines swedged to the original return lines but I think I'll just use compression fittings as I'm running out of time, I've got a deadline to meet. I also painted the lines black so as to not stand out.

I am still waiting for the external thermostat to arrive (tomorrow?) so I will plumb that in later this week; I will postpone bending the hardline for the supply side until then.

Mr. P. :)

...3/8 inverted flare to 1/2 male pipe thread seems to be a rare beast...

If you still cannot find what you need let me know, I have well-placed friends in the plumbing supply industry and can find odd fittings like that.

Mr. P.

Nice mounting job, looks pretty cool. Did I understand that you have a thermostat on the cooler? (presumably to keep from over cooling).

I have found a combination of fittings that should work, 1/2 male pipe thread to 3/8 female pipe thread and a 3/8 male pipe to 3/8 inverted flare.

(Edelman 210860 and Edelman 124660)

I was just disappointed I could not find one that did it in one step.

Yes the TruCool Max comes with an external thermostat to prevent overcooling. The plumbing is 1) lower fitting on transmission (hot oil out) to upper fitting on radiator; 2) lower fitting on radiator through thermostat to external cooler; 3) external cooler through thermostat to upper fitting on tranny. You plumb through the radiator first to guarantee that the transmission fluid comes to operating temperature soon as possible, then through the thermostat to the external cooler. And I hear you on having to make a Christmas Tree of fittings!

Mr. P. :)

Archived