Tranny may be on the way out again

Im gonna paste my post from the AWDG website on this. I recieved some good advice over there and wanted to see what you had to say.

Well the other day I pull into my driveway, leave the truck running, go inside for two minutes, come out, shift into reverse, hit the gas......weak!

It went back, but the motor would rev up and down and would not directly affect speed. Towards the end of the driveway, I stomped on it a little bit and it seemed a little more solid again. During the following drive the tranny temp showed damn near 200 however you read that gauge. This tranny was rebuilt in a real backyard type sorta warranty situation. I had to take out the tranny, ship it to south dakota, and give 780$ for half the rebuild and shipping. Got it back, put it in, and it wouldnt even budge the wheels. Real pissed!!! Called the rebuild guy, got a lot of BS answers. Finally he says, take it out and ship it to me and Ill get it right. #@@# that!

I pulled the pan and found the manual valve rod wasnt even connected. What a dumb son of a @@$@%!! Well, 6600 miles later it starts this stuff. Since yesterday it hasnt acted up or heated up again. Im sure its not going to go away though. Now the problem is, do i screw around with this clown again. I really dont think its worth the aggrevation. Do I buy a used VERY low miles tranny, and yes I can get them. Or, do I buy a built tranny from FLP or some other source for the two grand I dont have and not worry about taking it easy on my tranny. I for one don't think that the 4l60e-hd or 4l65e, what ever you want to say, is NOT strong enough to support the 6.0 well. I think they should all have the 80e, but Im not going through that though.

I dunno, what can i do to make this thing last without selling my sole to pay for it. Maybe an impossibility???

Super Disappointed Joe out

Man that really sucks. I can't tell you how to spend your money, but I am very pleased with Chuck and the tranny he's built me.

Chuck (now at his own shop-- FLT 630-350-7776) absolutely stands behind his work and will take care of you every step of the way. Top quality work; top quality service; top quality, stand up kind of man.

On the 65 supporting the 6.0 -- in stock form, I absolutely agree, but if Chuck can build one that handles 594 awhp on a turbo 408, he can hook you up.

:withstupid: If you have a stock 6.0 then it might do ok with a shift kit and servos; if you are going to put any more power down than that (especially with AWD) you are right the 4L60E's from the factory do not hold up in the long run.

What I chose to do was have my 4L60E completely gone through by Joe Guttierez (JAG Performance); JAG also has proven track record of producing severe duty transmissions and bends over backwards to help you with your project.

Mr. P. :)

Thanks for the replys fellas. I think Ill give them both a call and see what we can do. Im gonna stop at a local shop to see if they can tell me what they think happened. Butch, over on AWDGM thought it might just be in the valve body. If thats the case, maybe just a simple fix wilth dropping the valve body will do it for me.

Thanks again guys!!

joe

• 2 months later...

Ive got an '01 C3 with 27000 mile on it. Ive been through two transmissions so far, the last one lasted 9700 miles. Ive only got a westers tune and corsa sport exhaust. Budget is a big issue but I want to put it back together alot stronger than before.

Joe and Sheri at JAG are putting together a quote for me with their suggestions. (very nice people by the way, Joe was very eager to listen to what I wanted and never tried to suggest what I wouldnt need)

I would like to do a TB TQ with a larger cooler but wondering how limited Im going to be on towing?

Im wondering on what it would take to make this thing "almost indestructible" behind a basically stock engine. :driving:

C'mon fellas, whadda ya got for me???????

Super Joe out!

I merged your topics. There was no need to start a new one.

To answer your question, I'm sure Joe will provide you with the answers in the way of parts. Attaining the "almost indestructible" on a limited budget may be the harder thing to do.

Thanks Ben!

I should have thought of that. Ive been e-mailing with Sheri at JAG. Ive also Talked with Joe on the phone. Both very helpful! I'm fairly sure Im going to go with them on the parts. Im going to have a local shop do the build this time. Im going to R and R the tranny to save cash and let him do the bench work. Im getting pretty good at taking it out and replacing it.

I just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on particular parts or shift kits for what I want to do with it. Remember I need to tow a four place enclosed snowmobile trailer with four sleds and gear into the mountains on occasion.

Im thinking of going with a larger cooler and a TrailBlazer converter as well. I was wondering wher the cheapest place to get the converter would be?

Thanks for the merge ben!

Joe

Archived