Try to trade the SSS

SSMANIAC

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys need to understand that if a dealer can buy a car at the auction for a certain price, in the best interest of running a profitable business, he will not usually give you more than that. It is whats called ACV (Actual Cash Value).

In the event that he cannot sell your vehicle you traded in, he will most likely take it to the auction to get his money out of it. Most dealers work on a 60 or 90 day turn.

This means that if the car is not sold in that amount of time, chances are it will not sell anytime soon.

The Kelly Blue book is only a guide and most dealers wil use current auction reports to value a vehicle.

As far as people getiing ridiculous amounts of money for their trade, some dealers will "overallow" on the trade just to show you what you want for it. The only thing that matters is the final number or bottom line difference.

If you are paying full sticker for a new vehicle, than you rightfully should get close to retail for your trade.

If you are getting the new vehicle at Invoice minus rebates, then you should expect to get low balled on the trade. This way the dealer can make some money on it because he did not make it on the new vehicle.

As far as buying direct from the auction, most are dealer only so that idea is out!!!

As for selling it and buying something after it is sold, keep in mind the aggravation factor and tax savings by trading it in.

In PA there is 6% sales tax. By trading a $25,000 vehicle, you will save $1500.00 in sales tax on the new vehicle essentially netting you $26,500.00. You would need to sell it for at least that amount to even break even with an offer of $25,000 on the trade.

I have been fortunate to have good connections with most of my dealer customers, so I can get pretty good deals on just about anything I want.

Thanks for the clarification!! I guess I was expecting to get a good trade in value so I can get the Gto practically at invoice. But when they gave me such a bad trade number the car was going to come out at sticker price so I wasn't going to pay sticker for a car that had been in the lot for over a year with close to 600 miles in the odometer. I will keep an eye for them out there. maybe I should be looking at used ones instead. Who knows I love my truck and I will probably keep it, But the way that Gto moved made me want to do some numbers.

:seeya:

Taking a bath without getting wet...

Not much better here up in the North Canada, it is a niche truck, work trucks keep their value better, they are not selling, just like the GTO's and dealers are buying their used cars and trucks at auction = you get nothing on trade.

Even with the tax you save, selling privately you'll should still come out slightly ahead.

Dr Mike

I traded my 03 SS about 6 months ago, smaller dealers tend to deal less than larger ones. I have noticed that eventually you will find a dealer that will give you close to what you want. Usually if you get what you want for the trade, you have to pay near invoice for the new vehicle. If you want the best of both, sell privately and then go and buy new.

In Missouri you have 30 days to buy a vehicle after you sell to get the sales tax break

Same in Arkansas.. I've done this once or twice before. Just make sure that you can sell your vehicle within the 30 days (if you bought the new one first) to get the tax break.

Well guys!! Sad news I went to a Mitsubishi dealer today and test drove an Evolution and all I have to say is what a bullet!! This car is fast as hell and the dealer is giving me 28600.00 for my truck, So is looking real good. I am kinda bummm out though I feel like I will be disrespecting the :flag: I have never owned anything foreign or never even tes drove a foreign car before. I am kinda of excite but bumm out at the same time. I loved the car but I still don't know if I am going to get it. It is pitiful that an foreign dealer is giving me a beeter deal than an american.

Give it time. You'll get a better offer on the SS. I vote stay with american companies :flag:

If it were up to me, I wouldn't let them sell their cars here(unless you have to pay a really high AMERICAN RULES tax) lol :crackup: Tough call. A new vehicle is so tempting.

Well guys!! Sad news I went to a Mitsubishi dealer today and test drove an Evolution and all I have to say is what a bullet!! This car is fast as hell and the dealer is giving me 28600.00 for my truck, So is looking real good. I am kinda bummm out though I feel like I will be disrespecting the  :flag:  I have never owned anything foreign or never even tes drove a foreign car before. I am kinda of excite but bumm out at the same time. I loved the car but I still don't know if I am going to get it. It is pitiful that an foreign dealer is giving me a beeter deal than an american.

I sell for a Pontiac & Mitsubishi dealer, I've driven both cars back to back and I would have to say hands down the GTO is the way to go. Don't get me wrong the EVO is a very fast car, once you get the turbo spooled up. But for reliabilty and ride quality I would go with the GTO. 25k for the 04 is a pretty good price for one that has never been titled. I sold two used ones both of them with under 2k miles, one for $25,995 and the other for$24,500. Both were traded in on 05 GTOs. Your not going to get away from dealers using auction numbers to appraise your trade, you have to realize when you trade a car in you are asking the dealer to buy your car. So the same way you would tell them the dealership up the street said they would sell me the car $2000 less. They are doing the same thing telling you well i can buy your car for $2000 less from the auction. Good luck which ever way you choose to go.

... I vote stay with american companies...

yeah...but who's bringing jobs to America?

check the numbers, while the Jaqpanese companies are building more plants for final production (read save time&money vs. shipping the cars in from Japan) Their components are almost entirely from overseas. GM employs many many more Americans the Japanese companies do.

Archived