SS vs SRT Quad cab

BOB47

I always considered the Standard Cab Dodge Ram SRT-10 to be totally impractical.  6-speed in a truck and limited seating???

However, if the Quad Cab SRT-10 had been out when I was looking for a fast full-size sport truck, I would be driving 1 now instead of the SSS.  Compared with the SSS, here is my take;

SRT-10 QC Pros:

- looks meaner and more aerodynamic than SSS

- the V10 engine

- has 4 real doors instead of the SSS 2 rear suicide doors that you can't open in parking spaces

- the V10 engine

- has nice front spoiler

- the V10 engine

- has fog lamps

- the V10 engine

- has nice rear spoiler integrated onto aluminum tonneau cover

- the V10 engine

- sharp looking wheels

- did I mention the V10 engine

SRT-10 QC Cons:

- gas mileage sucks much more than SSS

- no AWD makes it riskier to drive on slippery surfaces.  My wife would have wrecked it by now.

- factory stereo is not as good as SSS

- not quite as comfortable a cruiser as SSS

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I test drove both the SRT and the SS and, after realizing I could get the GM discount, I realized that the SS was a way more practical choice. The SRT does drive way better than the other Rams and the look of that V10 almost accounted for the 15K price difference. I am going to s/c and with my other mods I think I will be able to beat SRT both in ET's and price.

GM4LIFE, nice rig and I'm glad you went with the Quad Cab.

I have been following the SS booard on and off for awhile. I'm still thinking about an SSS AWD, and know I better make up my mind pretty soon. It seems odd though always trying to compare the SRT and the SSS especially from a speed standpoint. Speed pretty much comes down to money on these new trucks. I'm sure for 50 or so grand Chevy could easily build a compettive or faster truck. But to what end ? I doubt they will. I would suspect the SRT better be faster for the money. Dodge has come a long way the last 10 years in their trucks. I just think the SSS AWD was and is a better idea for an all around truck, while still performing better then all but the Lightning and SRT. AWD is a big plus for those driving a high torque engined truck year round, especially in areas like Nothern Ohio.

Speed, I can do 13's in this for 15 grand, and geez it's 36 years old !! Just think what I could do with it for another 10 grand in the drivetrain, and how fast it would be with only a 25 grand investment 11's,10's.

im000056.jpg

The Dodge is nice, but performance is not always just top end speed. I think the AWD SSS has enough features that balance the package.

Besides, isn't a Dodge just a Plymouth ?? :seeya:

SRT-10 QC Cons:

- gas mileage sucks much more than SSS

- no AWD makes it riskier to drive on slippery surfaces.  My wife would have wrecked it by now.

- factory stereo is not as good as SSS

- not quite as comfortable a cruiser as SSS

Your cons are exactly the reasons I love the SS.

I can't drive a Dodge-that spark in me is dead, when the real big-block Chryslers went away, my love for them died. Yeah, the V10 is big, but its architechture originated w/ the small block 360 (like in the Diplomat)

No thanks, no offense...

I have been following the SS booard on and off for awhile. I'm still thinking about an SSS AWD, and know I better make up my mind pretty soon. It seems odd though always trying to compare the SRT and the SSS especially from a speed standpoint. Speed pretty much comes down to money on these new trucks. I'm sure for 50 or so grand Chevy could easily build a compettive or faster truck. But to what end ? I doubt they will.  I would suspect the SRT better be faster for the money. Dodge has come a long way the last 10 years in their trucks. I just think the SSS AWD was and is a better idea for an all around truck, while still performing better then all but the Lightning and SRT. AWD is a big plus for those driving a high torque engined truck year round, especially in areas like Nothern Ohio.

Speed, I can do 13's in this for 15 grand, and geez it's 36 years old !! Just think what I could do with it for another 10 grand in the drivetrain, and how fast it would be with only a 25 grand investment 11's,10's.

im000056.jpg

The Dodge is nice, but performance is not always just top end speed. I think the AWD SSS has enough features that balance the package.

Besides, isn't a Dodge just a Plymouth ?? :seeya:

Actually it is a Mercedes now! :jester:

just thought I'd throw down my two-cents. I was cruising at 55mph (just passed a cop) on the HWY and slowly in the left lane I see this big nasty billet-grilled Dodge creeping up. Him and his girl look over and smile, I nodded knowing full well of the results but anticipated the adrenaline rush of the run. We both hammered it at the same moment and all 500hp came out... both his back wheels broke loose!!! He was gone before I hit 80... long gone.

I love my SS and won't get rid of it but I'll give you SRT/10 guys your respect. Stock for stock, or stock for slightly modified for that matter, it's a hands down checkered flag. just my two-cents, so none of you throw any pink slips down.

First off I am not starting war but what does the fastest qc run and do you have a video. I love the truck but couldn't get myself to pay that much for one. Do you know of any in north alabama?

just thought I'd throw down my two-cents.  I was cruising at 55mph (just passed a cop) on the HWY and slowly in the left lane I see this big nasty billet-grilled Dodge creeping up.  Him and his girl look over and smile, I nodded knowing full well of the results but anticipated the adrenaline rush of the run.  We both hammered it at the same moment and all 500hp came out... both his back wheels broke loose!!!  He was gone before I hit 80... long gone. 

I love my SS and won't get rid of it but I'll give you SRT/10 guys your respect.  Stock for stock, or stock for slightly modified for that matter, it's a hands down checkered flag.  just my two-cents, so none of you throw any pink slips down.

:rolleyes: ugh the drama... Z06 DREAMING you're absolutely right, stock-for-stock the SS and the SRT10 are not even in the same class, the SRT10 *is* the undisputed big dog. Also remember the SS will never be able to go flat-out 150+mph without serious help, the SRT10 is not hindered that way. OTOH put 505 cubes in the Chevy and a little aero tweaking :D and then see just how the two compare :chevy: But I'm thinking that it won't take near that much. Either way a person will have spent $$$ to achieve that level of performance and the SRT10 is a truck rightly deserving some genuine respect IMO.

First off I am not starting war but what does the fastest qc run and do you have a video.  I love the truck but couldn't get myself to pay that much for one.  Do you know of any in north alabama?

I've seen guys with stock QC SRT10s on the SRT10 forum claim they can run with the regular cabs, low 13s. (Less wheelspin and no troubles shifting, it's an automatic) dead stock.

I saw a road test in the 15s in a magazine, but the same magazine road tests everything with ridiculously slow results.

I'm not sure?!?

The Hennessey SRT10 has run in the 10s many a time already.

Was the 10sec truck a qc? I want to know if a qc can run in the 10sec and drive on the street every day like I do. I am going to be much quicker than in the sign. soon. Btw has any srt ran a 11 or faster on factory wheels and street tires.

Was the 10sec truck a qc?  I want to know if a qc can run in the 10sec and drive on the street every day like I do.  I am going to be much quicker than in the sign. soon.  Btw has any srt ran a 11 or faster on factory wheels and street tires.

Hennessey claims to run the QC at 10.9 with drag tires and rims. Look at his site and the timeslips are there. I am not sure which SRT-10 got the 10.88 run.

0-60: 3.3 sec. (with optional drag wheels/tires)

1/4 mile: 10.9 sec. @ 127 mph (with optional drag wheels/tires)

I would be interested in the times with stock tires and rims. All the trucks are able to run on the street, I am sure that with that horsepower it would be hard to hookup on stock tires.

Hennessey

Archived