Installed my B&M Transmission Cooler

Installed my B&M Transmission cooler today.

B&M Coolers

70274 - SuperCooler rated at 29,200 BTU 11"x11"x1-1/2" (has female 1/2 NPT fittings).

I wanted to use all metal tubing, rather than hoses. I didn't want to trust hoses.

Overall view. I had to fabricate the upper brace from some aluminum angle stock. for the lower brace, I just flipped the stock brace backwards (trimming some excess angle so it would fit.

CRW_1116.jpg

Close up of the plumping. From the cooler, it took an Edelman 210860 (1/2 male NTP to 3/8 female NTP) and then an Edelman 124660 (3/8 male NTP to 3/8 inverted flare). Wish I could have found and adapter to do it in one step :mad: . I had to cut the stock tubes with a small tubing cutter and then flare the ends. I used the left over piece of tubing to be the new route up to the top fitting on the cooler.

CRW_1115.jpg

Since I flipped the cross brace around, I tacked a bit of aluminum bar onto it for mounting the outside air temp sensor. Gave it a shot of black paint, while I was at it. In case you are wondering, the big spacers on the bolts that hold the lower brace are left overs from the original heat exchanger for the Radix. I left them there in case I need to add something else in front.

CRW_1110.jpg

Yes, the supercharger's heat exchanger is down in the lower grill opening. In the other photos, you can see the top of it peaking through, where the transmission cooler lines go down.

HPIM0635.JPG

Two questions

Does anyone know which line is the "hot" side? I was wondering if they are "backwards" in terms of having the return line being the one on top.

Where is the stock transmission temperature sender located? I have heard there are a variety of places to monitor the temp, and the hottest temps are after the torque converter spits the oil out.

• 5 months later...

I have been thinking about this too and I was under my truck alot (well less than Zippy was, but still long enough to look)

to me it seems that the line that runs from the cooler to the trans is going to be the cool side???you would want the freshly cooled trans fluid going back to the trans, this would be the right line in your picture.

This is important b/c I want to keep the stock cooler and add an addition one, but it seems necessary that you know which end needs cooling still...working w/thermodynamic laws will make the system so much more efficent.

Does anyone have more info about the hot side or the direction of the fluid flow? or using two stock size coolers??? what is the GVW of the stock cooler?

Two questions

Does anyone know which line is the "hot" side?  I was wondering if they are "backwards" in terms of having the return line being the one on top.

Where is the stock transmission temperature sender located?  I have heard there are a variety of places to monitor the temp, and the hottest temps are after the torque converter spits the oil out.

You did the same cooler I did, Dave :thumbs: I even flipped the bracket like you did.

GVW of the stock cooler?...... :crackup: .......about 10

Thing holds about 4ozs of fluid. Bet it didn't even cool the temps 10 degrees in the summer. The one Dave put on holds at least a qt of fluid, or more.

• 3 years later...

Archived