Dodge hemmoroid owners with catbacks

JimJenson

... I think that if the hemi were manufactured with the same displacement it would be a much closer outcome, the whole 'power under the curve' argument.

Mr. P. :)

Maybe this motor will put out 345 chevy hp and we can finally have a proper sport truck comparo.

The 425-horsepower, normally aspirated 6.1-liter HEMI is the highest specific-output engine ever offered by the Chrysler Group. Its 69.8 horsepower-per-liter rating exceeds even that of the legendary 1966 "Street HEMI." Torque is rated at 420 lb.-ft.

http://www.thehemi.com/news.php?id=20040813-1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as for who gets the better launch, do you really think there is a traction problem with the stock hemi running a 275/60R20? come on, we aren't racing them on dirt here.

Geez, you got a point there! 2wd trucks launch like a 4wd!

:crackup:

By the way, what's the white stuff on your rear tires in your sig pic? Is that on.... "dirt"...?

;)

Those Syclones and Typhoons, what do you think their "secret of success" was....?

Maybe this motor will put out 345 chevy hp and we can finally have a proper sport truck comparo.

The 425-horsepower, normally aspirated 6.1-liter HEMI is the highest specific-output engine ever offered by the Chrysler Group. Its 69.8 horsepower-per-liter rating exceeds even that of the legendary 1966 "Street HEMI." Torque is rated at 420 lb.-ft.

he he he "425 Chrysler HP" = "345 Chevy HP" But yeah that will make life a bit more exciting at the stoplight. Wonder what kind of support Chrysler will offer the aftermarket? Hopefully better than what they've done so far.

Mr. P.

edit - I wonder what the sticker price will be...

That's not what your original post was about though? It said the link was to an article about the Hemi's "over-rated" horsepower, and the article never said anything like that?

Sure it does, in the numbers, not the commentary.

Two trucks with 345 hp and one with a big weight advantage but both put out similar times.

That's about as honest as Richard running around posting the Hemi trucks are FASTER stock than an SSS. The numbers you provided "prove" it, take a look at 0-80mph for both trucks....?

;)

That's not what your original post was about though? It said the link was to an article about the Hemi's "over-rated" horsepower, and the article never said anything like that?

Testing an AWD truck against a 2wd truck is a no-brainer who is gonna launch harder, and testing a clubcab against a regular cab is a no-brainer who gets the weight advantage?

Testing an awd truck against a 2wd truck is an "apples to oranges" comparison in a drag race at launch.

Why do magazines bother testing vehicles that aren't alike?

The magzine people thought they were alike because both vehicles had similar 1/4-mile performance; this was a very narrow-minded comparison IMO. Put 500-lbs in the back of the Dodge and publish *those* figures for a truer performance comparison. :chevy: I think that if the hemi were manufactured with the same displacement it would be a much closer outcome, the whole 'power under the curve' argument.

I agree.

The weight issue is one, the traction issue is another.

Two truck being compared that aren't a fair comparison. For either truck.

... I think that if the hemi were manufactured with the same displacement it would be a much closer outcome, the whole 'power under the curve' argument.

It would be closer to a 6.0 engine in the SS....? Still have to even up the WEIGHT issue, and traction too...?

That 6.1 Hemi in the Chrysler 300 in a Motor Trend comparo ran 13.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile. That's in a 4200 pound sedan.

(for 2drTahoe..... "CHRYSLER" horsepower....? :lol: )

:confused: What DOES that mean anyways...? :confused:

I think motortrend should redo the test witha VHO or a 2wd drive SS against the QC (ext cab) 2wd hemi ram. This way the comparison is fair, both ext cabs, with 2wd and outputs are basically the same. When most people race a hemi ram, they don't race the whole 1/4 mile on the street, the awd gives the SS a good launch and puts quite some distance on the hemi before it can catch up. Most people stop racing before they hit speeds too high and endanger themselves, thus the race ends long before a quarter mile and the SS usually has a few truck lenghts due to awd. Also the majority of rams I have raced were QC 4x4, (its very rare to find 2wd in Alberta, where its snows half the year). They are exceptionally slower than a rcsb hemi ram in the motortrend comparison, due to almost and extra 1000 lbs. I've seen them run low 17s. Those are why we can kill them.

I think motortrend should redo the test witha VHO or a 2wd drive SS against the QC (ext cab) 2wd hemi ram.  This way the comparison is fair, both ext cabs, with 2wd and outputs are basically the same.  When most people race a hemi ram, they don't race the whole 1/4 mile on the street, the awd gives the SS a good launch and puts quite some distance on the hemi before it can catch up.  Most people stop racing before they hit speeds too high and endanger themselves, thus the race ends long before a quarter mile and the SS usually has a few truck lenghts due to awd.  Also the majority of rams I have raced were QC 4x4, (its very rare to find 2wd in Alberta, where its snows half the year).  They are exceptionally slower than a rcsb hemi ram in the motortrend comparison, due to almost and extra 1000 lbs.  I've seen them run low 17s.  Those are why we can kill them.

Seems reasonable to me!!

I watched as Motor Trend compared a Caddy with a Chrysler 300 with a ...... :confused: GTO...?!? :confused:

Couldn't believe both sedans beat the GTO, but that's another story...

;)

Why don't the magazines take two trucks that are COMPARABLE for once?

Those Hemi trucks will never do well drag racing with the ECU they use from what I have read, and if they DO build a 6.1 Hemi, and it has the same kind of crap built in electronically as the 5.7 Ram Hemi, it will undoubtedly be beaten by trucks that are slower ON PAPER too....?

When I become an editor, here's the article I'll write

All Truck Shootout

Chevy

Dodge

Ford

Full Options: highest motor options - non special editions, 2WD

1. Reg Cab Short Beds

2. Extended Cab Short Beds

Sport Trucks: factory only - any drive option 2WD, 4WD or AWD

3. Reg Cab Short Bed

4. Extended Cab Short Beds (crews if necessary)

4 heats, winner per heat

The last chart will show the numbers of each heat winner

I'll be looking for volunteers or the test

Job Responsibilities:

truck washing

gas tank filling

refreshment getting

as for who gets the better launch, do you really think there is a traction problem with the stock hemi running a 275/60R20? come on, we aren't racing them on dirt here.

Geez, you got a point there! 2wd trucks launch like a 4wd!

By the way, what's the white stuff on your rear tires in your sig pic? Is that on.... "dirt"...?

;)

Those Syclones and Typhoons, what do you think their "secret of success" was....?

2wd hemi trucks launch like 4wd's, yes. the white stuff in my sig pic is tire smoke. that's from using the brakes. a completely stock VHO doesn't have a traction problem. it will break the tires loose, but not nearly enough to be a traction problem. i have video if someone would like to host it. as for the syclone's and typhoons, those were only quick on a boosted launch and because of the awd. lets see what 60' times your quickest stock hemi truck puts down with stock tire height slicks. i'd be guessing it's no where near that of a syclone. you can't compare a truck that runs 13's without breaking a sweat to a truck that will break into the 14's if you're lucky. do i need to take one of our winged warrior hemi trucks from the lot and line it up with our VHO on video? i don't think you want to see the results. (remember i work for a chevy/chrysler dealer).

2wd hemi trucks launch like 4wd's, yes.

The Hemi trucks have an ECU that takes the bottom end grunt out.

the white stuff in my sig pic is tire smoke.

What kind of dirt were you on?

:lol:

a completely stock VHO doesn't have a traction problem. it will break the tires loose, but not nearly enough to be a traction problem.

So it *should* be a much better match to a Hemi Ram, shouldn't it? How big is the engine in a stock VHO?

as for the syclone's and typhoons, those were only quick on a boosted launch and because of the awd.

I'm guessing the added traction of all wheel drive only works in CERTAIN arguments with you?

:dunno:

lets see what 60' times your quickest stock hemi truck puts down with stock tire height slicks. i'd be guessing it's no where near that of a syclone.

I'm very willing to make the same bet!

Your point isss....????

you can't compare a truck that runs 13's without breaking a sweat to a truck that will break into the 14's if you're lucky.

I never compared a Dodge Ram SRT10 to a Silverado SS?

*badda-bing-bang!*

do i need to take one of our winged warrior hemi trucks from the lot and line it up with our VHO on video?

Will YOU be driving?

;)

i don't think you want to see the results.

You sure wouldn't have wanted to see the results of my old 1978 Dawrdge pick-up if it ever lined up beside your SSS. Trust me!

;)

You remind me of the guys who *used to* post on the Xtreme board.

The grass was ALWAYS greener, on THEIR side of the fence....?

:dunno:

If you have to get all snooty because you can't "reign supreme", by all means, lemme have it!

There is a whole world out there though...?

:cheers:

Archived