Looking for a better ride?

orion :: SS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seen my truck riding on the bump stops, didn't bother me. Just changed the oil and rotated the tires and figured what the hell, if gives me a better ride I'll try it so i just trim down.

I have noticed that on my truck my drive shaft has a rub mark on it and up on the frame. so i think it came from when i pulled our boat. our boat is about 5200lbs. so could that make the drive shaft rub?

I am in the same exact "boat" as you. Mine only weighs in around 4k tho. 5,200 is probly a 30ft'r or so?

Hey Brian, this was a great tip! I did mine last nite. I would say it's the 2nd best thing I've learned on this site...

Good to hear...

I took my SS on a trip to AL this past weekend (840 miles round trip), and I thought it was MUCH smoother over oscillating highway bumps, and the rough Alalbama backroads.

- Brian

Ok now let's talk about those front bump stops. When I lowered my truck with the ground force kit I noticed just the stock setup I only had about 1/2" before my stops hit the lower control arm. When I installed the kit she was sitting on the stops that came with the kit. Naturally I cut them in half and noticed a tremendous increase in ride quality. My buddy just lowered his 01 Tahoe and noticed the same thing. If you look at the front stops they are in a cup that is welded to the upper control arm. Well he pulled out the bump stop and cut that cup out and replaced the factory stop and the one that came with his kit with a lower profile stop (belltech). I'll have to take some pics of the setup but I know for a fact our trucks are the same because we put the two side by side and compared the setups. :crazy:

I heard that the front bump stops were an integral part of the suspension....that they are supposed to be very close to touching, but not touching. Does anyone know if this is true?

If so, then the front ones aren't just 'bump stops', they are suspension pieces, and you may not want to cut them. Cutting them may give you more travel, but you may have issues with your ride as a result.

I heard that the front bump stops were an integral part of the suspension....that they are supposed to be very close to touching, but not touching.  Does anyone know if this is true?

If so, then the front ones aren't just 'bump stops', they are suspension pieces, and you may not want to cut them.  Cutting them may give you more travel, but you may have issues with your ride as a result.

Yeah the only reason I haven't done this to my truck is the fact the Tahoe that I had seen this on was a 2wd. I was worried about that extra travel effecting the front driveshafts on the SS.

having ridden on the stock C3 front bump stops and now SS bump stops.....I can say the SS bump stops are designed different and ride firmer. My stockers were softer and the last ring is short (tho slightly worn). The stock C3 bumps stop had 3 large rings and one small. The SS has 2 and 2.

DSC01516.JPG

DSC01519.JPG

Archived