Zippy Shift kit install

Dropped off my truck at my local performance shop today at 8am. When the guy told me it would be done by early afternnon. Called about 1 because I was in the area and he said he was in the "home stretch" And then had to call again around 7 and they told me it wouldnt be done until tommorow morning or afternoon. Now im not sure how long it takes to install the zippy shift kit but double digit hours? Am I getting jerked around here.

When me and some of the guys from the site (thanks Cody, Eric, Adam, Andrea) did mine it took about a full day... but we did it on my garage floor without all the tools we needed and drank alot of beer, ate pizza, and goofed off.

If this guys claiming to be a professional I'd be a little worried. :uhoh:

When me and some of the guys from the site (thanks Cody, Eric, Adam, Andrea) did mine it took about a full day... but we did it on my garage floor without all the tools we needed and drank alot of beer, ate pizza, and goofed off.

Yeah I am a little worried. The only thing I can think if is that he did more cars than just mine in the day and was either jumping back and forth or didnt take mine for a while but yeah idk. Does anyone else have the amount of time it took them to install the shift kit.

Yeah I am a little worried. The only thing I can think if is that he did more cars than just mine in the day and was either jumping back and forth or didnt take mine for a while but yeah idk. Does anyone else have the amount of time it took them to install the shift kit.

yeah it took my guys 4 hours to do it and i love it thanks zippy

I just did mine last weekend with one other person helping me. It took me the majority of the day, I made sure I took my time not to miss anything. I had to call Joe a couple of times at Jag Performance for some guidance. Joe if you read this thanks again :cheers: ! My biggest problem was losing parts and tools throughout the day and having to stop to look for them. I know for a fact if I did another one or if I did them at least once a month I could do it in about 4-5 hours. Yeah I would probably be a little concerned that it's taking a professional over a day considering amateurs can do it in less time.

Got my truck back today and the total install time was 6 hours. He said that he was putting in the servos and the rest of the kit fell out right before he finished so he had to do it all over again. But i got it back and im happy. And by the way it feels amazing everytime it shifts. :devil:

I'm having mine installed by a 'Pro' shop on Monday. They want my truck there for at least a whole day. How long will it actually take them? I'll ask when they're done. Can't wait to 'Zippy it' :D after it's in! I'll post results on Tuesday.

Regards,

Dan

We installed a guy's kit yesterday. It took most of the day, but it would have taken considerably less time had we known what the hell we were doing (my first time, his first time). Plus if we hadn't found a part after we had it all buttoned up, essentially making it so we had to do the whole pan/valve body re-install twice. :eek:

My guess is, when I do mine, it will take 4-5 hours. And I am a tedious, anal-retentive freak when it comes to checking and double-checking my work. I bet it would take an expert a couple hours at most to do the install.

As far as shops go, you can't extrapolate how long they have it with how long it takes to do something. They may want half a dozen projects ready to go so if there is a delay with one, then can go to work on another without a loss of efficiency. You can't blame them.

I'm sure Andrea did most of the work :)

I'm sure Andrea did most of the work :)

You'd be right... the rest of us just kinda bumbled around while Andrea got under ther and took care of business. Cody did help, but he was more concerned with making sure his highwater coveralls didn't clash w/ his pink teddy. :jester:

Archived