I'm so down

misterp

Well, I had a cat I referred to as The Damned Cat. I left home Saturday to drive to Galveston and pick-up my kids for the summer, we then went to New Braunfels for two days. The kids and I enjoyed ourselves, we had a good time and it's the first we have seen each other since Christmas. I get home tonight at 11:30pm and discover the cat face down in her litterbox panting fast and heavy - it looked bad; I got her out on a towell, cooled her ears and tried for 1/2-hour to make her drink water, finally she started stirring and I thought she was coming around, I got encouraged and then she grabbed me with a death grip coughed and died in my hands. :cry: I have left the cat alone on weekends countless times in the past, and the A/C was on, she had food and water and enough had been eaten to suggest she spent all day today deathly ill. Yes, I was attached to the cat, but the fact that she is gone is not what bothers me; all I can assume is that I *must* have left something out that poisoned her, or otherwise overlooked something that made her suffer an agonizing end, I would not wish that on anyone god I feel so horrible, she was completely fine when I left and in the house the whole time... she must have gotten into something but for the life of me I can't figure out what. Thank god the kids were already asleep and did not see this, they specifically asked about the cat on the way home (was our family pet back when we were family) and now I am going to have to tell them tomorrow why the cat is gone. ****. All over the damn cat.

No replies necessary; just had to vent.

Mr. P.

Really sorry to hear about this. Because you're so helpful on this board, often about topics that aren't related to SSS directly, I just felt compelled to mention a couple of things . . .

I've had cats pretty much all my life, except college; some times these things happen, for no apparent reason. I don't know how old your cat was, or if it was an outside / inside cat, but either of these circumstances could be the culprit. There are a multitude of nasty cat diseases out there lurking, and it's also possible the cat had some disease or defect that just showed itself now.

What I'm getting at is don't beat yourself up thinking that it's something you did, or didn't do - odds are it isn't.

Hope this helps - and good luck w/ the kids.

-Daryl

Sorry to hear, I have been thru it also. Had a cat from it's birth ended up with tongue cancer, cat stopped eating I tried diff foods everything, even feed by hand. Took to vet I found out that the tongue was cancerous and half gone, to late to do anything, 6rys later still feel like crap about it. Dave K.

It's always tough losing an old pet. They become like friends over time.

There's no replacing your loss, but maybe you and the kids can enjoy picking out and raising a new pet this summer.

Just a thought. :tear::)

Thanks all, I feel better this morning, I believe a good night's sleep helped a lot, I'm not as utterly crushed like I was last night. I asked a vet this morning his idea and he agreed that she must have gotten a hold of something? Anyway still have to tell the kids the sad news when I run home at lunch.

Sorry for your loss..we are animal lovers too !

I had to put my Shepherd down because of bloat. ( stomach flips )

That was just after I put $3,000 into him after a rare disease that Tuff University even told me he had no cure. The prescription was $250.00 a week for 3 months...but it worked. Then approx 1 year later...Bloat. atleast I got another year out of him!

Their like family !

Hope the kids are taking it ok

Sorry to hear that. I have one at my house, 4 next door at my dads and 2 at my shop. Sound like the cat got hold of something, my mom had a cat that use to like to take change she would leave on the table and hide it. One day the cat started to do what yours was doing, luckly she was a vet tech and took the cat to work, her boss found 2 pennies in her stomach.

One of my shop cats likes to sleep on engines when i leave the hood up on the cars :D

Have a neat pic of it, customers get a kick out of it.

.... Doesn't matter who you are, what you do, how much you make, what clothes you wear, what your drive..... Pets love you for being only you.....

Sorry to hear about your loss ... :tear:

I have two Golden Retrievers..... Madison 7, and Molly 4. Molly is an epileptic. She has "Cluster" seizures every 2-3 months. That is a seizure every 2 hrs. for about 24-36 hrs. straight. She has a medical chart at the Vet, thicker than most phone books.... But we love her to death..... With a personality that of a comic ...

We all would do anything for our pets..... It is always hard when they leave us.....

I'm sorry to hear 'bout that. I have a Maine Coon tomcat (Mosby) that just turned 15 a couple days ago 'n two others. I keep all cleaning materials locked away or capped at least... 'Read somewhere that 'lemon fresh' anything is deadly to pets so I never buy any of that. It's hard losin' 'em...

Sorry to hear, I know how you feel. My old cat is turning 18 and is still in good health, but his days maybe coming to a end and I've had that cat since I was 11, I'll miss that cat. The other cat I have is just a baby, only 1 1/2 yrs old and fun as hell to have around.

I lost my golden retrievers last March of a sudden heartattack, she was gone in a second. That dog was my best friend, smart as hell and she did everything with me, I miss that dog to death. She died just before I left to go buy my SS, so I will never forget that day.

Archived