Vibration

slimsoftball

I would get your pinion angle checked just to rule it out. My symptoms were exactly like yours, and I found the angle of my pinion to be 7 degrees, when the tranny shaft angle to be 4 degrees....that was after lowering. The angles should match.

Everyone I talked with said that lowering a stock 4-link truck 3 inches in the back should not have resulted in throwing the pinion out that much. The only conclusion I can come to is that there was an issue from the factory, exacerbated by lowering.

And it started out hardly noticeable, but got worse over time, just like how you describe.

I got two separate driveline shops to measure the angles for me (tranny shaft angle and pinion angle), and neither one charged me.

Before you order degree shims you may want to raise the front up 1 inch with the torsion bar bolts and see if the vibration goes away. Anything under 2 inches seems to cause vibrations on accel at about 60+mph.

My 99 Silverado is doing the same thing.  I put in a new steering shaft which of course didnt help.  I swapped my wheels/tires, that didnt help.  Im stuck now.  This vibration is driving me crazy.

Did you have your pinion angle(s) measured?

No, never thought of that. My trucks not dropped but 2" in the rear with a shackle. Would that make my steering wheel shudder?? Every now and then I actually get a bit of bump steer.

Mine has been acting up, but mine only occurs at speeds below 25 mph. Mine almost sounds as if all 4 tires had a bald spot on them at the exact same place. Taking the wheels to get rebalanced, but I think it might have something to do with my u-joints. I have already had 2 slipyokes and 1 set of u-joints changed under warrenty, and I can hear the clunking in the driveline again. Have to take it in next week.

I think my rack/pinion is causing it. Now my steering wheel is starting to get off center. Plus I found my horrid "clunk" noise. When the steering goes full-lock either direction it binds things up, yanks on the rack and its hitting on the mounts and making noise. So what I can make of it is the bushings are shot and something internally is crapped out. Snagged a new rack for $50 bucks at the boneyard. Guess Ill see what the outcome is.

Archived