Can a tune just take a dump?

slimsoftball

Other than my vibration problem my truck has just not been running right lately. I can pinpoint it to a certain timeframe where it started. The fuse in my fans took a dump again a few weeks ago and while I was troubleshooting I had the battery unhooked for an extended period of time. Ever since I have gotten it all buttoned back up the truck has run like crap. The idle is horrible. In park it idles alright until the AC compressor kicks on and then it starts searching for a good place to idle. It flutters back and forth and almost stalls. Same thing when I am in Drive. It seems all the problems are tied to the AC compressor kicking on and then the idle drops big time. Also, when the A/C engages/disengages alot at low RPMs there is a lot of banging and clanking in the front of the engine. any ideas why? something going bad. the A/C temp has been fluctuating from cold to warm alot lately and it never did before.

So to make a short story long, could this all be tune related? Are all those noises related to the engine going down to such a low rpm? I have the ability to log and tune with my HPtuners, but just haven't had the time to spend hours troublshooting lately. Thanks for any ideas guys.

You have the capability to up the idle RPMs to account for the drop when the A/C, or anything else, kicks on. You also now have the capability to have your fans controlled by your PCM. It's just a matter of getting the harness and going into your PCM and telling it you have electric fans and pick the temp you want them to come on to.

Have you changed anything in HPT? Still with the Magna tune, or Allen's? Can't remember.

You have the capability to up the idle RPMs to account for the drop when the A/C, or anything else, kicks on.  You also now have the capability to have your fans controlled by your PCM.  It's just a matter of getting the harness and going into your PCM and telling it you have electric fans and pick the temp you want them to come on to.

Have you changed anything in HPT?  Still with the Magna tune, or Allen's?  Can't remember.

I was reading on the HPT forum where you can control the idle rpm's when the AC kicks on. I just haven't really had time to figure out where that is. I have been researching the various harnesses available so I can have the PCM control my fans.

I haven't messed with my tune yet on my own. I am still running a tune from Allen. As I said nothing in my tune has changed but the idle has gone crazy every since I had those fan issues and the only thought that came to mind was that I had the battery unhooked for awhile and it maybe messed with my PCM tune. I guess the thing that concerns me the most is the nosies that are coming out of the front of the engine when the A/C is kicking on and off at very low RPM's while the idle is struggling back and forth. I guess the bottom line is I wonder why the idle would go to Sh*t like that all of the sudden.

I've had some similar issues when leaving the battery unhooked for a while. It acts like it has to re-learn everything again. Have you put many miles on it since you put the battery back in?

I wonder if it could be related to the A/C compressor? Mine went bad and broke the belt. Maybe with the noise you talked about you should remove the A/C belt and see what things sound like. Could that compressor be draging would the idle?

Worth a try.

CD

my advice is ask zippy, i think hes the best round these parts with tuneing, i myself and not happy with bryans tune im getting horrible milage and multi. cylinder misfiring he put WAY too much timing into it and i think thats the problem, its definatly the pcm so it might be the pcm for you as well.... take it out and put the stocker back in or get a stock flash and put that in see if the problem persists on a stock tune.

just like with your home pc it's possible to have an error in the software in the truck's pc. less likely though. i'd recomend starting with a fresh reflash of what you had in there previously.

You have at least downloaded the tune that was in there, right Eric? :jester:

Oh yea, been there done that. I really haven't messed with a whole lot though. I have mostly been logging and trying to figure out what it is saying.

Then I guess to answer your own question, reload it with the tune you had. Once it settles out from the new tune, you should be able to answer the question.

Oh yea, been there done that. I really haven't messed with a whole lot though. I have mostly been logging and trying to figure out what it is saying.

Then I guess to answer your own question, reload it with the tune you had. Once it settles out from the new tune, you should be able to answer the question.

Oh, I was definately planning on just reloading the tune. Just thought I would put the question out there to see if it had happened to anyone else.

Oh, I was definately planning on just reloading the tune. Just thought I would put the question out there to see if it had happened to anyone else.

I've seen a similar issue with a customer. For some reason his truck overheated a bit, now his truck idles high, low, just like yours. Everything was fine, running great, idling great, etc, but after the overheating, things just went bad. When his electric fans kicked on, the problem starts, but it was fine before. He removed his vsc wiring to the a/c and it's much better. Does any of this help out? His had idle issues like yours, but not really the same cause. I've never heard anything like it but that seemed to help, just thought it might help if you have a similar setup.

Try to just reload the tune and see if it helps. Those pcms are pretty darn tough and can take a lot, but I've seen some wierd stuff with computers.

good luck,

allen

Archived