2 wheel drive ss

bigvette

I haven't posted for quite a while and was curious if anyone has obtained a 2 wd version of the SS ? I am trying to figure out what to trade for - a 1/2 ton crew cab lt or a 2wd SS with cloth interior.. Need your opinions and advise - is the gas milage better with the 2wd?? Things like that.. I really enjoy my 03 SS, but it is time to try for another truck..

Thanks

I haven't posted for quite a while and was curious if anyone has obtained a 2 wd version of the SS ? I am trying to figure out what to trade for - a 1/2 ton crew cab lt or a 2wd SS with cloth interior.. Need your opinions and advise - is the gas milage better with the 2wd?? Things like that.. I really enjoy my 03 SS, but it is time to try for another truck..

Thanks

Just picked up my 2wd SS yesterday. Here is what I can tell after 300 miles:

- Gas mileage will be better; at least highway mileage. Part of the reason is because of 3.73 rear axle ratio. I am getting 16 MPG and the motor is still very "tight". Truck also is about 200-250 lbs lighter.

- Seems to handle better because of less front end weight.

- Sunroof is cool, just get it tinted as the cover is a mesh material.

-Silver Birch is MUCH easier to clean, but it does not shine like black.

- With GM employee pricing; now is the time to buy.

Thanks

- Gas mileage will be better; at least highway mileage. Part of the reason is because of 3.73 rear axle ratio. I am getting 16 MPG and the motor is still very "tight". Truck also is about 200-250 lbs lighter.

The truck should be much more than 250lbs. lighter more like 800lbs or so!

Nope; More like 200-250, sorry.

uote=Jonmalibuss,Jun 23 2005, 11:32 PM]

Thanks

800? I know the transfer case and extra shaft is about 90lbs (give or take 10lbs). I know the front axle would be different, but the weight difference wouldn't be that much there. So where is all the extra coming from to get to 800lbs?

Not debating.

I purchaed my SS last Sunday. It is a 2wd. I haven't hit 200 miles yet so I cannot give an accurate milage estimate at this time. I also have been not so light on the pedal so Milage is not a concern yet. As of today the computer is estimating me at 10.2 mpg. I only live 3 miles from work so i expect lower milage. My former truck averaged 12.5 mpg. it was an 03 Silverado with the 5.3T motor. Both trucks are great in my book. I had the option to purchase the AWD model but in florida i did not see the need to spend the extra money on gas every week. I am a GMC truck technician and other then a denali or full size truck with 20" wheels The SS feels tighter in 2wd version.

I purchaed my SS last Sunday. It is a 2wd. I haven't hit 200 miles yet so I cannot give an accurate milage estimate at this time. I also have been not so light on the pedal so Milage is not a concern yet. As of today the computer is estimating me at 10.2 mpg. I only live 3 miles from work so i expect lower milage. My former truck averaged 12.5 mpg. it was an 03 Silverado with the 5.3T motor. Both trucks are great in my book. I had the option to purchase the AWD model but in florida i did not see the need to spend the extra money on gas every week. I am a GMC truck technician and other then a denali or full size truck with 20" wheels The SS feels tighter in 2wd version.

The computer gives some really crappy mileage figures when you start out. It will get better for the "overall" mileage. What does it show for the instantaneous? Or, was that number the instantaneous figure?

I just picked up a red SS 2WD. They only had two on the lot. Dealer said it would be hard to find an AWD version now. Cloth interior the same deal.

So with leather and the audio upgrade it stickered at 39250. With the discount it was deliverd for 30301.

I have one, just over 500 miles on it and motor is still very tight (of course). 15 mile commute, computer up to 13.5mpg. I have driven the AWD trucks, both SS and Denali etc... The 2WD SS truck drives best out of any GM pickup I have driven, period. However, the VHO guys may want to chime in...

Archived