A queston I never thought I'd ask

Dylan06SS

My truck has been having some issues lately.

Main problem:

my left front tire sticks out 1/2" past my fender. The other 3 are dead perfect. I've measured from the frame out to the edge of the rotor on both sides and they're a perfect match. This leads me to beleive that the body is on the frame crooked. Dealership is saying that they would fix it if they could... but GM won't allow something like this under warranty w/o some inspection first and thats where it'll be shot down... not by the dealer... but by GM.

Its bad enough that the new Toyo tires that I have on there are getting cut to hell by the inner edge of the fender, but its also done some small damage to the fender itself and if I hit a hard enough bump its really gonna do some damage.

Second problem:

Tranny (surprise! :banghead: ) something has gone horribly wrong. I just ordered new clutches, band, and TC from zippy today. My 1-2 shift has gone to crap... as a matter of fact I almost can't feel the shift at WOT... thats just pathetic. Theres more metal than a Slayer concert in my tranny fluid. :jester: I'm going to un-install my shift kit in the hopes the dealer will take a look at it without voiding the warranty. The problem is that if I get this fixed I'm still not sure the first problem will be corrected.

So my question is... what do you think I should do?

Do I continue to dump money into the truck to get everything right?

Do I drop it (still owe just under $29k) for something else? TBSS? GTO? VHO? 2wdSS? 2500HD Duramax? Caddy CTS-V? Vette?

Like alot of us here... I love this truck as if it were my child... and its hard for me to even think of getting rid of it, but I just can't justify throwing more $$$ at it if I can't be sure the issues won't continue.

:tear:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that sucks with everything going on. Have you tried putting the wheel on your bros SSS maybe and see if it sticks out also? I have seen a wheel before that wasnt made correclty and it did the same thing on my buddy denali, it was a defect. Did you just notice the problem with the wheels before as well? Sounds like some problems that you dont need right now. Good luck with everything else

Man that sucks with everything going on.  Have you tried putting the wheel on your bros SSS maybe and see if it sticks out also?  I have seen a wheel before that wasnt made correclty and it did the same thing on my buddy denali, it was a defect.  Did you just notice the problem with the wheels before as well?  Sounds like some problems that you dont need right now.  Good luck with everything else

I've gone thru 2 sets of rims, and pulled the drop off to verify that it wasn't the spindles. Even paid $150 for a complete laser alignment using some multi-millioin dollar machine at a buddies shop... the truck is dead on when it comes to alignment. It has to be the cab/body on the frame because everything else checks out.

i kow he tried switching wheels on his truck and that didnt help, the tranny can be fixed but the wheel issue is strange , but if your body was crroked wouldnt your other wheel be to far in???

i kow he tried switching wheels on his truck and that didnt help, the tranny can be fixed but the wheel issue is strange , but if your body was crroked wouldnt your other wheel be to far in???

Thats the one thing thats throwing me off. If one side is 1/2" out then the other side should be 1/2" in right? But the passenger side on mine is perfectly aligned w/ the fender. I'm tempted to have my guy at the bodyshop take the fenders off and compare them side-by-side, but of course thats gonna cost $$$... and if that turns out not to be it then I've just put myself farther in the hole on this thing. :banghead:

Man that totally sucks. The fact that you owe so much really limits your options, too. My priorities would be reverse of yours, I would be worried about the tranny first, assuming the truck is not chewing through tires (sounds like it's not).

In short, i'd fix the SS, assuming you can get the body alignment issue fixed under warranty. Was the stock wheel proud too? It's against CA law to have tires protruding beyond the body...

Your thought "Do I continue to dump money into the truck to get everything right?" is not fair, you're only putting money into the transmission at this point and in my opinion bulletproofing the tranny in this truck is inescapable for all of us, it's just a matter of time and yours has arrived; you would have had to do this sooner or later because the OEM 4L60E is woefully inadequate in the vehicle as-is. It is this thought that prompted me to go ahead and have mine completely overbuilt when I removed it from the truck for my servos; I feel your pain, it was a very painful decision for me at the time, too, and I am very angry with GM for putting out a TRUCK with such a wimpy tranny - if they'd have done things right in the first place we would not have failing transmissions but we get what we got...

If you want to trade the SS in the future then I would try to warranty the trans just to keep costs down. If you are going to keep the SS any length of time or put FI on it then the trans need to be built-up.

Mr. P.

Trans shouldn't be a big deal... I'm in good with this dealer... as long as I don't come in w/ the servos installed I should be fine. I'm going to install the TC/clutches/band regardless of the situation just b/c it needs to be done to keep the truck driveable. I'm going to give the body/wheel issue another month max before I start to entertain the idea of going in another direction... I will definitely sell it rather than trade... at least that way I can get a decent price for it and the time / $$$ I've put in... thus the reasoning behind the trans upgrades.

FOR SALE:

2004 Silverado SS

22,000 miles, 2/3 drop, exhaust, headers, upgraded tranny.

Meticulously maintained, always garaged, regular fluid changes.

$1,000,000 obo :jester:

That's bizzare. Doesn't sound like body alignment to me though -- or as you've said the pass side tire would be an inny.

The tire sitcks out 1/2 inch all the way around (e.g. not a toe or camber problem)? You bought the truck new, right (so no smash up)? Man I'm stumped... The only other things I can think of just don't make sense with a good driving truck (badly pressed bearings, shot races, etc).

have you put the stocks back on? i know you had it dropped with the stocks before , but did this happen as ssoon as the 22 went on? im just wondering if it was something that maybe happened after you had your 22's on,

I have an idea... is the backspacing on all your rims identical? Maybe the wheel that sticks out is different than the others?

The reason I say this is because I once bought a used '80 El Camino as a project car, which came with rally wheels on it. Four identical appearing wheels, but three of them had different backspacing (originally from 3 different models I guess)... I took it in for tires and when I went to leave, the fronts were rubbing bad - because the tire guy put them back on the truck in different places than where they came from. So we swapped them around until we found a combination that worked.

Archived