A queston I never thought I'd ask

Dylan06SS

That's bizzare.  Doesn't sound like body alignment to me though -- or as you've said the  pass side tire would be an inny.

The tire sitcks out 1/2 inch all the way around (e.g. not a toe or camber problem)?  You bought the truck new, right (so no smash up)?  Man I'm stumped...  The only other things I can think of just don't make sense with a good driving truck (badly pressed bearings, shot races, etc).

if it were the bearings wouldn't the measurement from the frame to the outide of the rotor be different? Maybe I should measure the frame to the edge of the fender to determine if its a body issue?

have you put the stocks back on? i know you had it dropped with the stocks before , but did this happen as ssoon as the 22 went on? im just wondering if it was something that maybe happened after you had your 22's on,

When I had the stocks on it was noticable, but I thought it was an alighment/camber issue at that point. I hadn't had it aligned untill I got the 22's. I don't have the stockers anymore (sold em) so I can't put them back on.

I have an idea... is the backspacing on all your rims identical?  Maybe the wheel that sticks out is different than the others?

The reason I say this is because I once bought a used '80 El Camino as a project car, which came with rally wheels on it.  Four identical appearing wheels, but three of them had different backspacing (originally from 3 different models I guess)... I took it in for tires and when I went to leave, the fronts were rubbing bad - because the tire guy put them back on the truck in different places than where they came from.  So we swapped them around until we found a combination that worked.

Like I said before... I've swapped sides and the tire on the front drivers side is always out farther than the rest... doesn't matter which tire, front, back left, right... they all stick out when they're mounted on the front drivers side.

Trust me. I've eliminated the rim as being the problem.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about upper and lower control arms? Did you measure both sides top and bottom? They could have gotten mixed up some how when being put on, I know you are almost out of options other than a new ride.

that just sucks man, if it wasnt there before the drop though the last thing i can think is the spinle but i would think it wouldnt work if it was 1/2 bigger than its supposed to be

My driverside is the exact same way!!!

Im glad someone else noticed it on thiers. Do you have a drop, i have a McGaughys, with 23's...thats what i thought my problem was. Both tires rub upper fenderwell over big bumps. Just the driverside was getting cut though and thats the side that looks off kilter. It looks like the allignment is messed up only on that side. :dunno:

What about upper and lower control arms? Did you measure both sides top and bottom? They could have gotten mixed up some how when being put on, I know you are almost out of options other than a new ride.

measured and they're perfectly even on both sides

sounds like you need to get blown

I try to everyday bro... every day.... :jester:

My driverside is the exact same way!!!

Im glad someone else noticed it on thiers.  Do you have a drop, i have a McGaughys, with 23's...thats what i thought my problem was.  Both tires rub upper fenderwell over big bumps.  Just the driverside was getting cut though and thats the side that looks off kilter.  It looks like the allignment is messed up only on that side. :dunno:

Mine sounds worse... just the drivers side is rubbing. The passenger side barely touches the inner plastic at full lock, but then again I don't have 23's... just 22's.

I have the McG drop too... I have my sponsors shop looking at the spindles to make sure its not them... but I don't understand how that could be the issue when the measurment for the frame to the rotor is even.

OK... heres another question for you guys.

I went by my dealer to just feel them out on the trans issues and the 'outie' wheel. The guy who oversees all trans related issues was out front so we got to talkin... he said the tire sticking out should definitely be fixed b/c it becomes an issue of driveablitly even when the truck isn't lowered... that makes me feel better.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: I started to describe the trans issues and he asked if it used to shift harder. I said 'yeah' not indicating that I had ever modded it... he said that hes seen the 4l65's come in alot and most times its normal wear and tear that makes them feel sloppy after a while... he SUGGESTED that I get a set of corvette servos. I had to keep playing dumb and I asked what it would do to my warranty... he said they don't really inspect the trans all that closesly and if it were a corvette servo he'd usually let it slide, especially b/c he recommends them and understands the benefit.

Should I just take mine in w/ the Superior kit still installed? I didn't want to tip my hand to this guy, but he seems like he wouldn't screw me over... tough call... and I bs'd with him for about 45 minutes... hes just an old gear head. Are corvette servos all that different from the superior ones in appearance? :confused:

A corvette servo looks almost like the stock servo. A billet servo is huge, by comparison.

Pretty strange on the fender issue. Sounds like something a body shop could easily fix. Does that fender line up right with the door? Is it possible your front clip is out of whack? Maybe a few shims missing?

I think you're in - if it were me personally I would bite the bullet swap the servos and any other obvious aftermarket shift kit parts that would be a dead giveaway and limp that rig in for repair. If it were me...

I might have an answer on how to fix it, but it might not be possible with the rims you have on there now. If I were in this situation, I would just go to Bryan @ Intro and have him measure out a different backspacing for that one wheel. It shouldn't be that noticable where someone could spot it with the naked eye. Like I said, it may not be possible to get different backspacings since these wheels are not made to order like Intro's are. It might be worth checking out though.

What about taking your wheel to a shop and have them fix it like I said above. Granted, you will have to re-chrome it and all, but that might fix it.

Also, if you are considering buying another car/truck/suv, you might want to do it very soon with this employee GM pricing going on. I heard people are getting some deals right now!!!

Good luck!

Late- Alex

not sure what to tell you on the tranny issue but i have 22's on my truck with 295/45/22's bfg's and every decent sized bump,dip,pot hole or whatever i hear my front left tire hit the fender and the first few times the fender took some major chunks out of the tire then i finally hit a good size bump and the fender did get damaged a bit and bent down and chunked the crap outta the tire after that i just got a rubber hammer and knocked the fender back up (dont look very pretty under there) tire still rubs but dosent chunk the tire anymore so just to let you know your not the only one with that problem

I would just go to Bryan @ Intro and have him measure out a different backspacing for that one wheel. It shouldn't be that noticable where someone could spot it with the naked eye. Like I said, it may not be possible to get different backspacings since these wheels are not made to order like Intro's are. It might be worth checking out though.

What about taking your wheel to a shop and have them fix it like I said above. Granted, you will have to re-chrome it and all, but that might fix it.

Trust me. I already thought about that... but it creates a future issue w/ tire rotation etc. Not a horrible idea, but if I have to half-assed fix a rim for my $40k truck then theres a serious problem IMO

not sure what to tell you on the tranny issue but i have 22's on my truck with 295/45/22's bfg's and every decent sized bump,dip,pot hole or whatever i hear my front left tire hit the fender and the first few times the fender took some major chunks out of the tire then i finally hit a good size bump and the fender did get damaged a bit and bent  down and chunked the crap outta the tire after that i just got a rubber hammer and knocked the fender back up (dont look very pretty under there) tire still rubs but dosent chunk the tire anymore so just to let you know your not the only one with that problem

I understand that a rim tire combo this size is going to rub ... especially yours at 295/45 :eek: /22... but my issue is that the wheel is PAST THE EDGE OF THE FENDER... so when that side hits its hitting the actual outer edge of the fender.

How about some different shocks up front to keep it from hitting? I see guys riding around all the time with wheels sticking out beyond the fender, but theirs may not be quite as tall as yours.

Sounds like you still need to get to the root cause of the problem. Before you start slapping bandaids on you need to measure the fenders. If the rotors and rims are the same on both sides that only leaves the fenders. If it is the fenders then you can decide if its fixable or if you want to live with a 'workaround' solution. Just my two cents.

Archived