Upgrading plugs during header install

I am looking to change out spark plugs during header installation in a couple of months.

Which plugs are recommended for a normally asperated engine?

Has anyone else heard of the E3 Spark Plug? JEGs has them. I have used them in my small engines when the champions failed and they really make a difference. Does anyone have any information on how well they do in the VHO 6.0?

Are the stock plugs worth keeping?

I intend to change out the wires too. Most likely will upgrade to the MSD 8.5s. Any other suggestions out there?

Depending on your header selection you will need to get heat wrapping for the header and for your plug wire..

I have the dynatechs and even though I had heat wrap protection on the wires and the headers.. I still cooked through the wire!!!

So if you order plug wires,, look at the headers... then for cylinders 5 and 7 you might consider getting extended plug wires to get them away from the header. (I am trying to figure that out this weekend)

I have heard the Factory Plugs are very good. The plug wires could use some improvement.

Depending on your header selection you will need to get heat wrapping for the header and for your plug wire..

I have the dynatechs and even though I had heat wrap protection on the wires and the headers.. I still cooked through the wire!!! 

So if you order plug wires,, look at the headers... then for cylinders 5 and 7 you might consider getting extended plug wires to get them away from the header. (I am trying to figure that out this weekend)

I have heard the Factory Plugs are very good.  The plug wires could use some improvement.

I am considering the Dynatechs. I would be very interested to know how you solved any problems with new plug wires. Another question: Pics that I have seen for the Dynatecs show cats attached. What all is included with the headers? I have also seen where it says that cutting and welding is required during installation. What gets cut other than exhaust components? How do the Dynatecs compare with The Other Guys for installation and performance? My FloPro 2504 is scheduled for installation next week. I will wait about three months before I change out the front part of the exhaust. Whish header will work best with the 2504?

The Dynatechs/cats were a direct bolt on, very tight clearances but they fit.

Took me a couple days and allot of cussing to do it

I had the JBA shorties on there before, the difference is night and day, truck pulls like a locomotive!

I'll never buy short headers again.

Course the whistling intake helps.... :D

I made a clip for 5&7 when I installed them, it's crimped inside the hole to keep it in place...

It's set in one of the bolt holes for the engine cover.

85555942.jpg

It keeps the wires from touching anything, it's been 6-7 months and no problems.

WW :cool:

The Dynatechs/cats were a direct bolt on, very tight clearances but they fit.

Took me a couple days and allot of cussing to do it

I had the JBA shorties on there before, the difference is night and day, truck pulls like a locomotive!

I'll never buy short headers again.

Course the whistling intake helps.... :D

I made a clip for 5&7 when I installed them, it's crimped inside the hole to keep it in place...

It's set in one of the bolt holes for the engine cover.

85555942.jpg

It keeps the wires from touching anything, it's been 6-7 months and no problems.

WW :cool:

Thanks for the 1000 words in the pic. That info is very helpful. The only remaining question I have is do the cats come with the Dynatechs? I am not truely interested in direct bolt ons. However, a direct bolt on typically means a better engineered fit. My exhaust will be welded. I am having a cross pipe fit just after the cats, but before the muffler. I have a really good pipe shop I have used for years. The youngest welder has worked there for over 10 years. The boss has since retired from building cars for some NASCAR teams. He has some very good ideas.

I use e3 plugs with diamondfire p/n e3.62.They work great and even better with the nology hot wiers I put on.The more air & fuel you add the better your spark should be.E3 plugs are good for 100.000miles or 5 years :chevy: My nology wiers have a life time warranty :cool:

I use e3 plugs with diamondfire p/n e3.62.They work great and even better with the nology hot wiers I put on.The more air & fuel you add the better your spark should be.E3 plugs are good for 100.000miles or 5 years  :chevy: My nology wiers have a life time warranty :cool:

What kind of gas milege increase have you noticed with the plugs and wires? I think I can justify spending a little extra cash for the E3 plugs, but the Nology wires are $270.00. I don't know if I can do that. Is there a cheaper place to get the wires that I haven't found yet?

Archived