Trip to the Dealer

I'm going to take my truck in to have the front differential looked at. I just started a new job and I'll be commuting to work (60+ miles a day). I've noticed that this "Grawling" noise occurs under load at both low and high speed. I'm begining to feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal. It seems to be worse in the afternoon on my way home (outdoor temp around 90), but just mild in the morning (45 to 55 degrees). When I go in to the dealer what should I have them check out? Should I have them drive it first? It sounds like the "Grawling" noise is common to these trucks. I knew it would happen sooner or later, but it still bugs me :nonod:

You need a new front differential. I had mine replaced almost a year ago. Someother member had theirs replaced also. Do a search on front diff noise. PM me if you need any help.

Will a bad differential cause damage to any other drivetrain components? It will be about a week or more (400+ miles) before I can get it in for service. Is there anything obvious I can look for without having to drain or take apart the diff?

When I had mine replaced it had 31673 miles on it. They replaced the front axle/carrier assembly (differential).

P/N 015123421 Axle

P/N 089021524 Lubrication

Now I have 44855 miles with no problems.

Mine is in, looks like they are going to replace it. I will know for sure Monday.

Can you believe some dumb service writer tried to tell me the noise was being made by/coming from my trenz billet grille? I shut him up by asking him why I feel the whine through the steering wheel and brake pedal...

Anyway, they paid for me a rental so I look like gramps going down the road...in my 05 LeSabre :)

I think its gonna get fixed right-my dealer is usually good to me.

Just fyi, Im at 4900 miles.

Not p.o.'d _yet_

But today the svc writer called and said this to me, "Your truck is being finicky...we can't duplicate the problem...drove it 20 miles...didn't hear it...stay in the rental..."

Oh, and they are still trying to say its my Trenz grille making the noise...if they say it again I will take my tools and remove it right there...then have Mr Knows My Truck Better Than I Do ride with _me_...he should take his stethoscope along, because I bet if he places the probe in on a hard surface on the firewall, or even on the steering wheel or pedals, he should be able to hear it plain as day.

How the hell can it be the grille making the noise when it changes in pitch proportionallly to vehicle speed?

I am not taking it up my six from these people...

Well guess what my dealer srvc tech called he said the noise is regular drivetrain noise and told me to drive like that ,if it gets worse to bring it back in ..This is bull they should know these are common problems and they should have replaced my diff.

Not for nothing, but I think guys need better dealerships. I had my diff replaced the intermediate shaft fix then last week I brought the truck back for a slouchy trans, and wobbly mirror.. Then updated the trans, and ordered a new mirror just need to be painted and installed now. I have an appointment for next week.

Archived