My A/C SUCKS

zoopete

Go to Wal-Mart, look in the kitchen utensils....get a digital meat thermometer, I think I got it for under 10 bucks.

This afternoon I got in the truck, and had the same problem...it goes back to the dealership tomorrow....

Anyone have any suggestions to give the service manager when I go out there in the morning? (or should I just give him a good reaming for having to bring the truck out there for the 5th time FOR THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same problem, weak A/C when idling, but not as severe. I also get the mildewy odor when I crank up. Tried replacing the cabin filter tonight but couldn't get into it. Has anyone done this?

I have no idea how I missed this thread, but I think its time to raise the bullsh*t flag on this A/C thing. My truck has the worst A/C system I have ever been in. You know its great that some of you are having no problems with yours, but for those of us that hop into our trucks on a HOT HOT day and the A/C on to find a hair dryer, that SUCKS! I have had the truck in more then a few times and got some switches changed and charged and what ever bullshit that chevy could do to keep me happy for a few days. I am just out of warranty on the truck but with the track record it has Im taken it in to fight with them. If I have to get some legal help I will, this is getting out of control.

I took the salesman who sold the ss to me outside (he is a good family friend), and made him look at the thermometer in the center vent.....73*.....are you kidding me....even at highway speed with cool air coming in, I only hit 70*...

Wow. You don't need any of us to tell you that's wrong. Even with the slightly worse performance with the mech-fan setup, my AC runs nowhere near that warm even when sitting in traffic on 95*F+ days.

I am the type of person who doesn't like to bring things up and just keep quiet about things but the a/c thing is really starting to bother me more and more now. I have had the system recharged twice now and had some parts replaced (they never did tell me what they were) and the last was a fan clutch. I'm to embarrassed to show my face at the dealer again with this a/c problem, i think they are going to think I am crazy and making this stuff up.

It has been VERY humid and hot here the past month and having a/c that does not work is not flying well with me anymore. Its embarrassing to show up somewhere (like work) with my clothes soaked in sweat and sweat running down my face all because my f-en a/c doesn't work. I for one am at a lost as to what to do next.

Oh, and this a/c problem that a lot of us are having isn't a funny issue in my book. I guess I can say that because I've been dealing with it for a year now.

I just got off the phone from the service manager at the dealership.....

He said that the mechanic was on the phone with GM to see if they could shed some light on the problem. Thankfully, he said that the problem had happened 3 times for them today (once for the service manager, twice for the mechanic), so I will not get another, "Could Not Replicate" story again.

I told him I would be out there at 5:00 to get the truck, and hopefully he can shed some light on what GM said about the problem (and tell me what day the parts will be in :banghead: )...

I had a problem with the A/C right after I got the truck.

Happened on a trip out of town, just quit working going down the interstate.

I determined the compressor clutch was not coming on...so no A/C

Got to where I was headed and did the Ford wiggle test and unplugged any external connection and plugged it back in. The A/C has worked fine since.

My thoughts are that one of the connectors possibly wasn't plugged in fully or had some crap in it causing an intermittent problem.

I did take it to a dealer the next day and everything checked out OK.

I don't know if this will help anybody with their intermittent A/C as some of the problems point towards an air flow issue, poor compressor performance, or such.

Just thought I would post this up because, I doubt if many techs would check pigtails and their connections in their initial check. Hope this might help someone.

When I picked up the truck yesterday, the first words out of my mouth were, "See, I knew I wasn't going nuts". I was just happy to see someone else see the problem happen.

They told me that after talking to the tech line, GM advised them to replace the A/C compressor....which they had to order. I will see some time next week if a new compressor fixes the problem.

Rob,

Are they just replacing the compressor?

They should replace the drier and inspect/ clean or replace

the orifice tube. If they crack open the system these other items

should be replaced. Drier at dealer cost is $40.00- $50.00. Orifice tube $2.00-3.00

So it's not like it costs much more to do the job right. They are putting on a $300.00-$400.00 compressor, you'd think they would want to do it right

Good tech/dealer will do this, but there are those who will shortcut and GM may tell them to replace only the warranty part which is :icon_bs:

Rob,

They should replace the drier and  inspect/ clean or replace

should be replaced. Drier at dealer cost is $40.00- $50.00. Orifice tube $2.00-3.00

So it's not like it costs much more to do the job right. They are putting on a $300.00-$400.00 compressor, you'd think they would want to do it right

Good tech/dealer will do this, but there are those who will shortcut and GM may tell them to replace only the warranty part which is  :icon_bs:

I went out to the dealership this afternoon, and was releived to find that they are replacing the drier and the oriface tube as well as the compressor. The service manager said that even if there is a vehicle out of factory warranty, the only way that they will warrant ANY compressor is if they replace the drier and the oriface tube.

Thanks for the heads up!

Rob

Rob,

They should replace the drier and  inspect/ clean or replace

Good tech/dealer will do this, but there are those who will shortcut and GM may tell them to replace only the warranty part which is  :icon_bs:

I went out to the dealership this afternoon, and was releived to find that they are replacing the drier and the oriface tube as well as the compressor. The service manager said that even if there is a vehicle out of factory warranty, the only way that they will warrant ANY compressor is if they replace the drier and the oriface tube.

Thanks for the heads up!

Rob

Good news :thumbs:

No problem for the heads up.

Ask the service manager if they're seeing many A/C problems with these trucks. I'd be curious what he says, as well as others who are having A/C troubles. The A/C system should be the same for all Silverado/Sierra trucks.

Archived