Would like to see a new thread......

BenKey

I agree with Ben here.  If I end up doing it, it will be a general concept, tuning 101 kind of thing.  I don't want to get into a go-to-this-screen-and-fiddle-this-widget tutorial -- I don't believe those actually work -- they just make crappy one size fits all tunes.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you both then. I consider myself a total beginner and sometimes "basic tuning 101" just isn't enough, and the added screenshots really helped me out. Besides, Isn't Basic tuning 101 sort of a "one size fits all" agenda anyway? I'd like to see screen shots of HPT and EFILive.

But again, this is all just my opinion. I try to be as sure as I can be before loading changes to my PCM.

Took me all afternoon to make and load a bunch of screenshots, so it is alot of work, maybe so much that few would be willing to do it.

that is all :thumbs:

I support help at any level :flag:

• 3 weeks later...
This is what I have hoping for. I have held off buying any tuning software because I didn't know anything about where to start. I will be all eyes and ears if this makes head way.

Thanks a TON

CD

I would even PAY for some info like that! Turning wrenches is no big deal to me, but OBDII tuning is something I have yet to learn. :dunno:

hows aboot starting off suggesting which program/software is best for which degree of tuner-tuneing? for instance... brian at PCM4 less uses LS-1 edit... but also uses hp tuners.... he can send you tunes... and a beginner could simply fart around from a starting point that way.. ya know? I dunno... im heavily considering (needing-to) get into tuning... last time i used any tune software it was commander 950 from holley..... as of right now im trying to determine which software i would like to use (having never used hp tuners, ls1 edit, efi live etc. etc. im just simply looking for opinions on which is the best, easiest, most compatable, priceing etc. etc.) - maybe we could/should start there?

That would be easy. Flashscan or HPtuners. If you want to be sent files email from your tuner, match his software.

If you want the better of the two, I would say Flashscan - based on what those that have used both have mentioned. I know the logging part of the software is the best out there. I've seen HPtuners logging and the two don't compare.

see... right there saves me hours and hours of asking, emailing etc. etc. etc. thanks mr. key!

now... just gotta find out how to pirate it like music off some illegal program :crackup:

yeah right! time to start climbing the money mountain and eventually have enough to get the ball rollin!

I would even PAY for some info like that!  Turning wrenches is no big deal to me, but OBDII tuning is something I have yet to learn. :dunno:

EFI101.com is in the process of developing a course geared for LSx motors using EFI Live Flashscan. If we have some interest as a group in this, I can talk to the owner (Girlfriend's Cousin's husband) and see if maybe we can get a group discount. :cool:

That would be easy.  Flashscan or HPtuners.  If you want to be sent files email from your tuner, match his software. 

If you want the better of the two, I would say Flashscan - based on what those that have used both have mentioned.  I know the logging part of the software is the best out there.  I've seen HPtuners logging and the two don't compare.

One good thing to note about Flashscan. You can open both Flashscan tune files (.tun) and HPT BIN files. :thumbs: Just can't save in both formats.

i've thought about it. i just haven't sat down for the half an hour or more that it's going to take to do it. i may yet, but it's alot of work that has to be very carefully worded with about a few hundred questions to come after.

I agree, its gonna be tough. 3 major brands of software, each of which call the same table by a different name. Everyone has their own way of tuning, so whoever does start the thread is gonna get hit with "why didn't you..." or "it would be better if..." type replies.

I have been tuning my vehicles with LS1Edit since 2002. I started scanning with autotap then moved to EFI Live. I bought the new EFI FLashscan in January of this year, and its by far the best thing I've used yet.

Its funny, tuning has REALLY come a long way in the past year. Just a couple of years ago, we were just hacking at tables but not acutally tuning. I spent a LONG time trying to properly tune my last truck running a whipple and SVO injectors. What was the preferred method then would be laughed at today.

Also, each vehicle and setup will probably need a little different tuning techniques depending on its mods and use. For instance, Bens truck is running a much larger motor and lots of non-stock parts. If it were me, after getting it to idle OK and tune in the injectors, I would begin logging data with a wideband with the MAF disabled so I could make corrections to the stock volumetric efficency table. After that, I would move on to the normal tuning needs of idle, shifting, limiters, fueling and timing. A semi-stock truck may not need that detailed of a tune. A boosted truck would different as well. Some guys have better equipment like a wideband O2 sensor while others dont.

Good luck.

that is the other reason that i didn't do a write up on it yet. there would be too many questions and too many that's not how i do it comments. the problem isn't so much teaching you how to tune, it's a matter of actually knowing what all of the changes mean. what is volumetric efficiency... telling you what to do with it doesn't matter if you don't know what it is. the same thing as shift timing. most never change this because they have no clue what it is. i can tell you what settings work for your application, but do you know what it is. should you turn off the c.o.t. on your truck? before you answer that, do you even know what it is and what it does... this is the problem with giving tuning advice. you need to understand the items in your software and what they actually do before you learn to adjust them...

Archived