PCM - Pros, Cons, Problems

Stitches040

honsetly, i dont have a problem with bryans tune.....when it works.....what he did was put too much advance into my timing so my idea now is to get a Tstat and see if that helps and gets my multiple cylinders misfiring, also i have new plug wires so well see when i all gets installed.

other than that im very pleased with the tune

I don't think the t-stat will help that much, but it may some.

Have you changed your cam?

nope no cam at all, nothing has been done internally, i even called bryan who was kind of snobby with me and told me its my truck thats pickey and that i need the timing advance steped down.

I am more than pleased with my pcmforless tune. The only problem I had was some pinging. I switched gas stations and brands and have been running great since.

Which brand did you go with and what octane rated gas are you using? Do you live in California? I installed my PCM for less tune Friday and had issues with pingng under heavy load. The same pinging occured even after filling the tank with Chevron 91 octane. I called up Bryan and he suggested cleaning the MAF wires and doing a crank re-learn since I had access to a tech 2. Well, after 100 miles the pinging is less severe but still there. I suppose it may just be this crappy Cali gas or maybe I have too much timing advance...

Overall, I am very staisfied with PCMforless. The truck runs like a bat out of hell. Im just hoping to get this detonation resolved soon.

Tony,

If it is still pinging drop it over my way and I will pull some of the timing out for you. It's sort of a catch 22, you try to run as much timing as you can because guys want to make as much power as possible, but in areas like CA I have to be conservative due to the poor quality of gasoline. It is an easy adjustment though.

On the shifting stuff, what I think is happening on the downshifts on the trucks with shift kits is that the shift kit is allowing the downshifts to mechanically happen quicker and thus it goes up to tap the limiter. What I am going to do is go thru and make the downshift settings in the PCM less agressive on the trucks with the shift kits.

Later,

Bryan

nope no cam at all, nothing has been done internally, i even called bryan who was kind of snobby with me and told me its my truck thats pickey and that i need the timing advance steped down.

I bought my PCM from Bryan during the "Insane Tribe Group Buy" a few months back. Another VHO owner, can't remember who, asked me if I had any pinging issues. He and his sister (who also owns a VHO) said they were experiencing some pinging with their new tunes which were bought in the same group buy. If I remember correctly those folks had the same tune setup as I, but I had have not had any pinging. If we have same trucks/mods/programming we should also have the same issues, right? Wrong. Vehicles are like fingerprints, no two are identical, regardless of how similar they appear.

Bryan did offer to reprogram my computer "just in case", but I decided to leave it alone and have had no problems. :smash:

I am more than pleased with my pcmforless tune. The only problem I had was some pinging. I switched gas stations and brands and have been running great since.

Which brand did you go with and what octane rated gas are you using? Do you live in California? I installed my PCM for less tune Friday and had issues with pingng under heavy load. The same pinging occured even after filling the tank with Chevron 91 octane. I called up Bryan and he suggested cleaning the MAF wires and doing a crank re-learn since I had access to a tech 2. Well, after 100 miles the pinging is less severe but still there. I suppose it may just be this crappy Cali gas or maybe I have too much timing advance...

Overall, I am very staisfied with PCMforless. The truck runs like a bat out of hell. Im just hoping to get this detonation resolved soon.

I live in PA. I run Sunoco 93 or 94.

Archived