Alternator Help

This technically could've gone under the audio section, but oh well...

Anyways, the problem I'm having is the new system is draining ALOT of power from my battery... after driving around a while w/ the system cranked when I go to restart the truck will BARELY turn over. I'm running out to get an Optima Yellowtop battery, but something tells me thats not gonna be enough.

My questions are:

1) the stock alternator is a 140 right? (I think Jon's 05 VHO has a 145)

2) what should I upgrade to?

3) how hard is an alternator swap? I've never even attempted one before... seems like a fairly straight forward thing :dunno:

This technically could've gone under the audio section, but oh well...

Anyways, the problem I'm having is the new system is draining ALOT of power from my battery... after driving around a while w/ the system cranked when I go to restart the truck will BARELY turn over. I'm running out to get an Optima Yellowtop battery, but something tells me thats not gonna be enough.

My questions are:

1) the stock alternator is a 40 right? (I think Jon's 05 VHO has a 45)

2) what should I upgrade to?

3) how hard is an alternator swap? I've never even attempted one before... seems like a fairly straight forward thing  :dunno:

Hey man the stock altenator is a 105 the 05 is a 145 but will not work dirrectly with the 04. There is an optional 140 or 145 for the 04's though I'm going to call Glendora Chavrolet right now to get some parts to make my truck look half way decent I will ask then about that.

Stock POS is only 105 :banghead: . An Optima is definitely a good idea, but an alternator is your best bet. I'd go for a 200 amp. There should be some shops where you live that do them. Just take off your belt first and unbolt the alternator and replace it with a new one.

dont forget to disconnect your battery!! i'm on my way to getting a higher A alternator... but... i'm kind of worried... see i'm trying like hell to keep this truck "numbers-matching" :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

That price I got you Dylan was list I can get it a lot cheeper than that they just didn't understand who I was over the phone. I told them I was from Banks but thats not the price they gave me so if we go down there next weekend to get it. It will be much cheeper I belive when I checked on it for my SS it was like $130

The problem with most alternators is the output drops quite a bit when they get hot. I would go aftermarket and skip any GM piece. And, if you have lowered your pulley size, it compounds the problem.

I would look for a 200-amp, like suggested. If you spend a little extra, you can even get one that doesn't drop that much when it gets hot.

Real easy to match aftermarket alternators with your truck. All you have to do is call the places and tell them what you have, they'll know what you need.

The price difference is the problem. I have a 200-amp that I'm waiting for my stock one to die before I put it in. It cost right at $315, but over on LS1 tech, I have seen places posting much cheaper prices, after I had already bought one, of course.

The problem with most alternators is the output drops quite a bit when they get hot.  I would go aftermarket and skip any GM piece.  And, if you have lowered your pulley size, it compounds the problem.

I would look for a 200-amp, like suggested.  If you spend a little extra, you can even get one that doesn't drop that much when it gets hot.

Real easy to match aftermarket alternators with your truck.  All you have to do is call the places and tell them what you have, they'll know what you need. 

The price difference is the problem.  I have a 200-amp that I'm waiting for my stock one to die before I put it in.  It cost right at $315, but over on LS1 tech, I have seen places posting much cheaper prices, after I had already bought one, of course.

Thanks Ben. If Jon can get me the GM part for the price hes saying I'm going to try that first... I don't think I need much more than stock... its just enough to drain the battery now so a couple extra amps should do the trick in combination w/ the optima battery (I hope :uhoh: )

I guess our stock alternators just weren't meant to push 1650 watts of sound w/ a couple of TV's... go figure :D

one thing you may not have done is when you do get the optima battery...upgrade your wiring....as shown here

battery.jpg

upgraded the alt wire to 0 motor ground, battery ground and of course ran 0 to amps

the little 8 gauge wire just can't deliver and starves amps so make sure you upgrade wiring

Dylan - do you have a 2-wire or 3-wire (4-connector, 3-wire) connector cable? I have a 160W Tahoe Police Package alternator that it looks like I have to sell because I have the 4-connector/3-wire setup, and the Tahoe PP Alt. has the 2-wire setup. I have a thread over at PT.net about it if you are interested.

fuse is only for running after the battery towards the amp....you can't see my 200amp fuse but it's behind the fuse box in the picture....

all it's for though is to make sure in case someone hits you or you hit someone if the wire pinches between the fuse and the amps that you don;t go up in smoke cause of an electrical fire

Dylan - do you have a 2-wire or 3-wire (4-connector, 3-wire) connector cable?  I have a 160W Tahoe Police Package alternator that it looks like I have to sell because I have the 4-connector/3-wire setup, and the Tahoe PP Alt. has the 2-wire setup.  I have a thread over at PT.net about it if you are interested.

Pretty sure there are short connector cables out there to convert. May not be the same, but I had to buy one for my 200-amp.

Dylan,

Just going by simple ohm's law, watts/volts = amps, looks like what you are proposing to buy would only barely cover/not cover your requirements. Just doing it from your advertised 1650 watts, that requires a 137-amp alt. But, that is only including your stereo amp, nothing else. Just a FYI.

Archived