Inside 9/11

Dylan06SS

I just finished watching the last 2 hours of the 9/11 documentary on the National Geographic Channel and it just leaves me speechless. Not that I would ever forget the horrible attrocities that were commited against the US that day, but to relive it in such detail again tears me apart inside... leaves me with an empty feeling... almost like I don't know how to feel at all. Angry, sad, vengful, sypathetic, all at once.

I highly recommend that everyone watch this if they haven't already. Very well done documentary follows the path of Bin Laden, his rise to power, the plotting of the attacks all the way thru the day of the attacks and the aftermath.

The last line was a quote for Bin Laden himself that just sends a chill down my spine:

"We enjoy death. The US enjoys life. Thats what makes us so different."

I just finished watching the last 2 hours of the 9/11 documentary on the National Geographic Channel and it just leaves me speechless. Not that I would ever forget the horrible attrocities that were commited against the US that day, but to relive it in such detail again tears me apart inside... leaves me with an empty feeling... almost like I don't know how to feel at all. Angry, sad, vengful, sypathetic, all at once.

I highly recommend that everyone watch this if they haven't already. Very well done documentary follows the path of Bin Laden, his rise to power, the plotting of the attacks all the way thru the day of the attacks and the aftermath.

The last line was a quote for Bin Laden himself that just sends a chill down my spine:

"We enjoy death. The US enjoys life. Thats what makes us so different."

That is f'd up.... :puke: Bin Laden

I remember when my unit hit the ground in Afghanistan back in Sept. 2001. Damn, that was a long time ago. I have the same feelings that I had back then now that I'm here in Iraq for the second time. I know why we are here and we are prepared to do it. :flag:

Dylan

They released a video a while ago. The Concert For New York City Its a two dvd set and is over 4 1/2 hours long. It opens with David Bowie and the second song he does is Heros. They did this video 30 days after 9/11 If you have a chance check it out.

c/ya

I didn't get to see it. I think something of similar kind at least, should be played at least on the anniversary of to remind us all. Most of us may not feel that we need that, but I think we do.

Have you flown lately? People get very irrate when they get slowed due to inspections. Do you think they did 2 weeks after 9/11?

Look at how a lot of the flags have come down. I still fly my flag everyday and have for many years before 9/11. A week after 9/11 you felt much pride and unity no matter where you were due to all the flags that you could see in all the neighborhoods. I remember that when I got back from Operation Enduring Freedom (USS ENTERPRISE), in my neighborhood in VA, out of the 150 or so homes around 80% or so had flags up. I have been back since then (although I've moved to FL) and there are maybe 10, if you're lucky. You don't have to fly a flag to be patriotic, but it makes you feel good when it surrounds you.

I honestly don't know that I could take mine down. Yes, largely because I'm in the miltary, but mostly because I know so many of us have given their lives to the cause and still are. Being in the military, a few feelings that hit you hard comes across your mind when you see others like you getting killed. The feeling of being lucky for what you have, sometimes the feeling like you've lost a brother, or the feeling like you wished you could take their place. It doesn't take the uniform, or even one of the same color to make you feel that way I'm sure. The flag represents the cost of what it means to be an American. I will continue to fly mine.

I won't speak to what is going on in Iraq, or whether it was the right decision, but how many that say what the military is doing is wrong, would feel different if there was another date that would make us sad to remember because we lost so many lives again - or another 9/11? I just wonder. Iraq may not be the answer, at least on the outside, but neither is sitting on our asses waiting for the fight to come to us like the previous administration did. I will take action over inaction anyday, if it possibly could save some American lives.

This is not to strike a debate over Iraq - honestly. There has been enough of that on here before. Just my personal feelings.

9/11 should not be forgotten or be allowed to happen again. Many have already forgotten. :rant:

...  Many have already forgotten.  :rant:

It is my belief that most people live 'in the now' rather than 'in the big picture'; I don't think anyone chooses to forget but rather over time they get wrapped-up in their private world of worries (making a living, paying bills, family matters, etc) and this is a problem that will always be present in America by its design. I think the problem will always be there because we value, no idolize individuality (this is a good thing) but as America continues to mature that healthy independent spirit is morphing from the "individual contributor" spirit of our founding fathers into a "out for myself" gangsta kind of attitude.

I'm not trying to defend or criticize anyone here, just saying that it would be ideal to see all Americans (regardless of political persuasion) have a more well-grounded acceptance of how we arrived at our present state of The Union; a more realistic knowledge and appreciation for the unimaginable expense we together have paid in blood, sweat, and tears over the last several hundred years.

To this point in history I think that we Americans have collectively paid the most for what we have, and I mean that in the broadest of terms - costs in lives, bailing out our alies, taxes, multiple conflicts plus our own civil war, mistakes made and lessons learned along the way, recoil from pissing off the rest of the world in towing the democratic line, our efforts in building a mammoth domestic/global infrastructure, education system, political system, everything.

But even in the face of these costs I know we have built the best. And even if we cannot agree on what to do from here (like right to life, Iraq, gay marriage, etc) we should all understand what exactly it is *we* own collectively as Americans, how awesome it is, and the huge price we have paid to have it.

So coming full circle, I don't think the common man has forgot about 9-11 or Pearl Harbor or Viet Nam as much as he never really had a sense of "ownership" or "investment" in America to begin with. Today's common man hasn't choosen to risk everything including their lives to live here (like our founding fathers or servicemen).

Mr. P.

....*we* own collectively as Americans, how awesome it is,....

Indeed.

And, after visiting:

Portugal, Great Britain, Gibraltor, Spain, Italy, Sicily, Turkey, Greece, France, Austria, Tunisia, Israel, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania, Russia, Republic of Georgia, Bahrain, Dubai, Kuwait, Japan, Philippines, Yugoslavia, Jerusalem, Bethleham, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico - there is no place better than the good 'ol US of A!! :flag: Some were okay, but not even close.

:flag: I just saw a commercial on the Dish network Satelite, that is about the passengers of the plane that went down in the field.

The show was called "A Heros Flight " and was about how the people on the plane stood up to the terrorists that hyjacked it.

Not sure when it was coming on, but I'll try to find the channel and let you guys know. :flag:

Archived