1998 Trans Am questions???

Posi12Bolt

as many of you may know if you've been following along with the topic, I recently bought a '98 T/A 6spd from TX...

car presents itself very well...but does have a few miles :driving:

Mr.P drove the car out here for me (I didn't buy it from him) and he also pointed out some issues it has with suspension...

My biggest complaint with the car is that when you dump the clutch or even just heavily accellerate to the point of breaking traction if has rear WHEEL HOP, that will rattle your teeth out.... :puke:

I have a '94 Firehawk that slides across the pavement like it was on ice which is nowhere even close the way the T/A feels...

the T/A feels more like its sliding down a rocky mountain... :uhoh:

WHAT THE HELL COULD BE CAUSING THIS...?

Mr. P?

anyone?

I love wasting tires so this MUST get resolved :crackup: its an emergency... lmao, not really but it is annoying!!

~Brian

dont know how the TA's rear end is like but in my stang my lower control arm broke and it did exactly what you are describing.  But like I said i dont know how the rear looks on that thing

I'm with fox-forMa on this one ... I had this jeep once and I was always checking out the rear end

sweetjeep.jpg

Some items to look at:

Worn out struts, springs

Broken torque arm or bolts attaching torque arm to rearend/trans

Control arms/ trailing arms, bushings

:dunno:

definetely will do this week,

working 12 hour nightshifts kinda puts the damper on workin on the rides during the day, gotta wait for a day off!! :banghead:

I've been reading up on LS1Tech and those are the same parts mentioned there too....

~Brian

:thumbs:

nice 2 vehicles down n out :P

blah blah blah...

dont know how the TA's rear end is like but in my stang my lower control arm broke and it did exactly what you are describing.  But like I said i dont know how the rear looks on that thing

will be checkin it out :ughdance:

it's very common on them to have that problem if the panhard bar is bent or has bad bushings. a bad trans mount or torque arm mount is also another common cause of this.

sweeeet... so if I throw a poly tranny mount, and BMR panhard bar in it... should smoove things out?!?!?!

panhard is the one that runs along the rear of the rearend correct?

~Brian

correct. the panhard bar runs just above the rear in a left to right direction. as for the poly trans mount, i'd try it to see if it fixes it, but you may not want to stick with it. they make for alot of vibrations to be felt inside the car.

correct. the panhard bar runs just above the rear in a left to right direction. as for the poly trans mount, i'd try it to see if it fixes it, but you may not want to stick with it. they make for alot of vibrations to be felt inside the car.

yeah, but its a F-body so it rides like a skateboard anyways... :lol:

thats the cheapest part by far...

so I'll start by seeing if there is anything damaged to the eye.... :wtf:

then the poly mount...

then the panhard bar...$

then the torque arm if needed...$$$$ :puke:

~Brian

Right on dood... :thumbs:

:D Yeah, something's got to be worn-out under there, I got it to break loose in 3rd at WOT (*no* clutch dump, that was unexpected!) and it started oscillating, I figured out really quick not to do that anymore! I just dismissed it as bad tires combined with rough pavement at the time...

Mr. P.

ps - glad you are liking your car, it suits you!

I'm with fox-forMa on this one ... I had this jeep once and I was always checking out the rear end

sweetjeep.jpg

Yesssir, checking out the rear is well-advised :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

it's very common on them to have that problem if the panhard bar is bent or has bad bushings. a bad trans mount or torque arm mount is also another common cause of this.

My 98 NBM M6 T/A had wheel hop as well, and it was caused by a badly cracked trans mount. One way to tell if your mount may be bad is if the shifter moves to the side excessively under heavy acceleration.

Archived