Best time with stock engine & bolt ons/cam

Bowtie70SS

I am curious. With the stock engine, and possibly a cam swap combined with a ram air hood, air box, computer tune...what else? I was wanting to run 13's without a supercharger. I guess basically I am looking for a recipe. Yeah that would be a great topic. Recipes from mild to wild 14's, 13's, 12's, etc. I am not opposed to NOS, but I wanted to get my truck to run 13's first, then go for the NOS. Also will Camaro/Firebird LS-1 style NOS kits work on the SSS? Thanks

Dave

getting into the 13's with a stock cam is possible, but not going to be easy. getting into the 13's with a mild cam is rather easily done. getting into the 12's is going to take a pretty wild cam with a very nice set of heads and alot of stall.

I was kinda looking for a 13 second recipe. I don't mind having to do a cam swap, but I want to be a little economical about it. Personally I would think that a cam & springs, a set of headers, what else? Maybe the hi-flow MASS air sensor or throttle body? Maybe I'm in the wrong area here, but I would really love to be able to run with a stock Lightning...those guys tend to spout off a bit. Then I have to explain the fact that the extended cab, AWD, and the lack of a factory supercharger are the reasons my truck isn't as fast....YET. Plus whatever you do to a Lightning, it's still a Ford. Later

Dave

cam, headers, tuning software (your own personal), converter (required), shift kit, cold air intake, cat back, and throw some good wires on it while you're at it. that should get you mid 13's area to run with most stock lightnings.

nope, this is a 6.0L. mods include:

K&N drop in filter

TB converter

Zippy kit

Thermostat

Zippy programming

Cam

Zippy,

What is the difference between your programming and the PCMFORLESS and Wester's or Nelson tune? Is it to your truck specificlly? I know there's some guys on here whos sigs say Zippy tune, I thought you only dabbled in tranny work? Am I missing out on a wider spread of options with Bryan's tune?

Zippy,

What is the difference between your programming and the PCMFORLESS and Wester's or Nelson tune?  Is it to your truck specificlly?  I know there's some guys on here whos sigs say Zippy tune, I thought you only dabbled in tranny work?  Am I missing out on a wider spread of options with Bryan's tune?

If I could chime in here the difference is that Zippy sweats the details and really fine-tunes your engine and tranny performance. A/F, timing, shift points, etc. are all set to work together, and the tune is to your specific vehicle and mods. Zippy will go back and forth until he gets your launch, midrange and top-end all where they are optimal. It's a lot more exacting than any mail-order tune which is by nature more guesswork/approximation and one-size-fits-all. :ughdance:

Whatever mods you do, see Zippy last to get the most of them. :D

Archived