anyone with a cat chime in pleez

Xero

i have a 4 month old black kitten, hes my little midnight. but man he LOVEs to play and i pet hi and he starts biting me, nothing major and he just breaks the skin. no punctures or penetrations, just laserations. and i was wondering of anyone has any advise on how to get him to stop attacking me, and my family. i know hes playing he LOVES to play, he dosent use his claws just grabs you and pulls you into his mouth. also when hes doing this he purrs like no other so loud! he loves to play, again any advice.

thanks,

nick

p.s. heres my kitty

post-5288-1126977567_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is normal feline behavior. Be VERY flattered. Contrary I have also been bitten by a cat in anger, and that cat was able to bite *completely* through my middle finger in a single chomp.

Cats show affection two ways, the first is that they rub their jowls against you, and the highest sign of feline trust/love is if they rub up against you cheek-to-cheek; if a cat approaches you on the couch and rubs you nose-to-nose you have their total trust and appreciation. The second sign of cat affection is "love bites", trust me what you are getting is a playful gesture. I never discouraged my cat from play/love biting, but had no problem with rough play.

As you have a kitten you can train a degree of 'agressiveness' out of your cat's play biting; they are very smart and will get the hint with insistent conditioning. Many cats will also grow out of this on their own, but when they are excited well their insincts will come out. You basically use some ferret training tricks (ferrets do this too, but MUCH harder) and gently scold/thump their nose as they are biting, you want to keep the play going but insist to your kitten that this particular behavior is unacceptable - they will eventually get the idea, the earlier you train the better.

Mr. P. :)

This is normal feline behavior.  Be VERY flattered.  Contrary I have also been bitten by a cat in anger, and that cat was able to bite *completely* through my middle finger in a single chomp.

Cats show affection two ways, the first is that they rub their jowls against you, and the highest sign of feline trust/love is if they rub up against you cheek-to-cheek; if a cat approaches you on the couch and rubs you nose-to-nose you have their total trust and appreciation.  The second sign of cat affection is "love bites", trust me what you are getting is a playful gesture.  I never discouraged my cat from play/love biting, but had no problem with rough play.

As you have a kitten you can train a degree of 'agressiveness' out of your cat's play biting; they are very smart and will get the hint with insistent conditioning.  Many cats will also grow out of this on their own, but when they are excited well their insincts will come out.  You basically use some ferret training tricks (ferrets do this too, but MUCH harder) and gently scold/thump their nose as they are biting, you want to keep the play going but insist to your kitten that this particular behavior is unacceptable - they will eventually get the idea, the earlier you train the better.

:withstupid: If you think this hurts ... wait until he "love" bites the end of your nose. Holy crap that hurts. My cats do the same as yours, and I do the same as Mister P says, gently thump on the nose and say no, then go back to playing. I let the soft little bites go, but when he gets too aggressive I shut him down.

nice looking cat btw!

thanks for the help, i was lookin for you to chime in mr p thanks for the info and the compliments, hes quite the silly cat and i think he love sme lots, he loves to sleep right next to me....and he ALWAYS purrs like a madd cat. ive never heard a cat purr so loud and so much

thanks again guys

nick

:D I really enjoy cats, and miss mine. Funny thing is, with the recent loss of my cat I realized that (get this) I'm alergic to cats! :lol: How's that for irony? I'm damn-near forty and this is the first time in my life I have never had a cat around me; I did not realize that until a couple months ago. I am seriously thinking of getting a couple of the cloned hypo-alergenic kittens.

The trick is to remember that to your kitten you and your family are a "pride"; cats live in prides, and to him you are the lead cat in his pride. And the more that you and your family behave (socially) like a pride the happier he will be. I've seen a lot of very unhappy/dysfunctional cats because their owners' families socialize in a way that is very unnatural for a cat.

Same thing with dogs, puppies see themselves as part of a "pack", with you as the lead dog; so you have to maintain a pack-mentality with a dog.

Cat%20And%20Mouse.jpg

OK, here's a tip for you - if you want ENDLESS hours of the absolutely FUNNIEST thing you have seen from a cat, you need to go "kitty fishing"

Go to walmart, buy a kid's 3-foot long fishing reel (a Zebco one, $7-8) and a 6-pack package of small furry leather mice ($2-3). Remove the lure from the fishing pole, and use one of the mice as a lure instead - use a sewing needle to poke a hole through the nose and thread the fishing line through and tie a good knot. Choice of 'lure' is important, use the small furry play mice made of rabbit pelt.

Cast the lure, and I guarantee if the cat is anywhere in the room by the third cast and reel-in they will be chasing/attacking the play mouse. I would park my butt on the couch and cast the mouse down the house, through hallways & doors, etc and slowly reel back in and the cat would "hunt" the "unsuspecting" mouse, and when pouncing I would then reel in like hell for the chase. And if you can get your toy mouse to "stroll" down wall edges or the edge of a couch (like real vermin do to avoid being seen) or around corners then your cat will just explode into action. I would also cast onto a chair or loveseat, and my cat would explode 4-feet into the air (or higher, I've seen 5-ft once :eek: ) and snag that bad-dog right in mid air - just amazing acrobatics. She would play a minimum of 30-minutes, huffing and panting the whole time, and when I put the reel down would go over and want to play more with it. No other cat toy compares, not even close.

Took the words out of my mouth, Dave. A laser pointer is awesome to get them going. One of my 4 (Sammy) will run himself in circles trying to catch it until he falls over from dizziness. He's also a little fat and about 10 years old, so it's not a great feat.

I have found that over the years that the best thing to do for cats is talk to them, always. I talk to my cats everyday - at least when I'm home in Pensacola. They'll get used to it and their attitudes will change drastically when they realize you are speaking to them. I can say their names and they nearly instantly start purring.

I have found that over the years that the best thing to do for cats is talk to them, always.  I talk to my cats everyday - at least when I'm home in Pensacola.  They'll get used to it and their attitudes will change drastically when they realize you are speaking to them.  I can say their names and they nearly instantly start purring.

awww, thats cute Ben :crackup:

I have been around cats my entire life I am now 23 and have had many cats through out the years they are very very smart animals no matter what anyone says. We have a cat right now who will sit infront of the TV on the floor and watch TV all night when she sees another animal she will go right up to the TV and touch the screen with her paw. The strange thing is we have had the cat for 5-6 years now and she just recently started doing this like she just discovered the TV :dunno: we are pretty confused as to why she would all of a sudden peak interest in the TV.

What I did with my cat was to say "OUCH!!" whenever she would bite too hard which would startle her a little, and eventually she caught on and now when we play if I say that she will ease off on the biting and not bite too hard. She's an odd cat...she constantly feels the need to clean me, and she weighs less than a gallon of milk fully grown. She won't eat her food if its on the floor, it has to be on her own table.

mimi2.jpg

mimi1.jpg

Took the words out of my mouth, Dave.  A laser pointer is awesome to get them going.  One of my 4 (Sammy) will run himself in circles trying to catch it until he falls over from dizziness.  He's also a little fat and about 10 years old, so it's not a great feat.

I have found that over the years that the best thing to do for cats is talk to them, always.  I talk to my cats everyday - at least when I'm home in Pensacola.  They'll get used to it and their attitudes will change drastically when they realize you are speaking to them.  I can say their names and they nearly instantly start purring.

i agree with you fully on talking to them. once cats begin to realize that you are talking to them they will respond well and somewhat understand you. one of the cats we had would even try to talk back to you as if you were having a conversation with him. it's like it makes them feel special.

CATS "RULE" - :cool: -- I have (5) of them and YES each one is different!! Nick, start saying NO to your kitten and yes she will learn!! Another good teaching aid is a spray bottle filled with water and then again they catch on real quick. We have "NO" problems with our cats scratching either as we have placed cat scratching pads in both hallways and then as a Real Treat sprinkle some Cat-Nip and watch them go Crazy. I also Agree that Cats are Very Smart!!! Love all the pictures that you guys posted--I will try to post mine. With our Car Collection my Husband surely wasn't thrilled with my Love of Cats -- but they Don't Bother any of the cars or jump up on them, well we don't really let them get in the back garage either :)

Ginnie

Archived