Loud rattle and clunk from front right wheel

Dbl_Tap

The only modification I have done to my truck was adding bigger wheels and tires (22" with 305 45's) and after I have been driving for over 1/2 hour at freeway speeds as I slow to make right hand turns I get a very loud almost sheet metal sounding rattle and some clunking. It only seems to do this when turning right and I have absolutely no rubbing anywhere from the tires. I've had it up in the air with the wheel off and can't find anything loose or rubbing or sheet metal able to rattle as much as this sound does.

Like I said it only happens after longer periods of driving and will keep doing it for a while when turning right going forward and backward until the truck sits for a while.

This is a 2004 4WD 5.3L Extended cab Silverado. Could this be related to the steering shaft problem mentioned elsewhere?

Thanks,

Chris

possib. frt. hub , only reason i say that is when you talk about it under left or right load and only one side.... i already had to replace one of mine... good luck with that, sorry i couldnt be much more help

It's hard to say but my dad has the same exact truck and he complaind about a sheetmetal sound like a rattle or squeak and it ended up being the clips on the grill ends that snapped into the fenders they were just way lose. His also only did it at certain times probably had to do with the way the body flexed. He fixed it by removing the grill and opening up the clips a bit to make the grill fit tighter into the fenders.

GM has a bulletin out about the lower section of the upper end of the shock bushings.

The isolators were not put in right and the steel sleeve rubs the frame rail hole where the shock goes through.The service dept will replace the shock bushings if thet is determined to be the problem.

If not...check the sway bar links and the steering stops where the steering knuckle hits the lower control arm at FULL LOCK TURN.

Good luck with it.

GM has a bulletin out about the lower section of the upper end of the shock bushings.

The isolators were not put in right and the steel sleeve rubs the frame rail hole where the shock goes through.The service dept will replace the shock bushings if thet is determined to be the problem.

If not...check the sway bar links and the steering stops where the steering knuckle hits the lower control arm at FULL LOCK TURN.

Good luck with it.

:withstupid: The dealer also found this as part of the cause my dads truck made so much noise. It sounded like it was 30 years old and it's only an 04

Thanks guys. I bet it is the shock mount. Started to feel slight clunking in the steering when when I hit bumps now and I especially hear and feel it when hitting the breaks to make a sharp turn either direction (but from the right still). Going to take it into the dealer next week.

Been waiting over a month now for my SS brake lines and Baer brakes from tbyrne! Breaks have finally shipped but no SS lines yet! Arg!!!

Update:

Took my truck into the dealer. The steering arm was bad and had to be replaced and the tech actually got the sound to happen while he drove it and found a loose body bolt somewhere in the front right side that he re-torqued and fixed it. No more little clunks in the steering where and no more banging!!!! Whoo Hooo!.

Thanks guys. Going into the dealer sounding like I knew what I was talking about and mentioning this forum made them take me seriously and they spent the time to find the problems and fix them.

Finally got my Baer brakes from tbyane yesterday (over a month after placing the order) but had to order the brake lines from elsewhere. Hopefully they show by Saturday so I can get these bad boys installed!

Well I was going to do them this weekend but tbyrne screwed up again. They were supposed to ship out the one way bleeder valves but never dd because the brake lines weren't in. So they finally shipped them Tuesday after I told her yes I wanted them (again this is after waiting over a month for my Baer breaks and SS brake lines and the brake lines were still almost a month out) but instead of shipping these small items fast they shipped them slow boat to Oregon and won't see them till next week sometime. Not too happy with the service of these guys even though I saved $100 total on the brakes.

Maybe I can find the bleeders locally. Anyone know what I would ask for locally as far as a part number or size? Are these valves the same size as stock brakes?

End of Rant.

Thanks,

Chris

Archived